One way bearing slipping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massivex

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The one way bearing is slipping in my EZ start. I did a search here and there were many responses on how to fix the problem. Most people responded with a link to another site. Now those links don't work. Does anybody know where I can find a fix for this?

Have you tried to disassemble it and clean it yet? Also do a forum search.

massivex said:
I did a search here and there were many responses on how to fix the problem. Most people responded with a link to another site. Now those links don't work. Does anybody know where I can find a fix for this?

During my search many posts linked to a sepecific fix, that involved a fuel tube and WD-40. ,now those links are broken and I guess what I am actually asking for is that same link again. People replied, said it worked great, said thanks and left without actually posting how it works on an actual Nitrotalk page. Every time the fix is detailed its a link to an outside site with a broken link. I'm sure the pages are still up I just need redirecting.

Taking apart the ez start and cleaning it seems to have been the cause of the slipping. This fix mentioned seems to be a homemade upgrade that means I wont have to remount the motor and re mesh the gears every time I have to fuss with the oneway.

You are right, those links to maxx skunk works are dead. The only fix I know of is to clean it. It appears that one of the forum members used gas tubing and zip tied it to back of the ez start via a fitting. I'm assuming from the thread that he squirts wd 40 through the tube and that washes off the one way. I'm not personally a big fan of of wd 40 or squirting fluid into the ez start, but it may work.
The pic.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=313
The thread.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3186&highlight=EZ+start+slipping

I've heard of people drilling a small hole in the plastic housing where the bearing is,then epoxying the plastic tube that comes with a can of WD-40 into it so that it aims at the bearing.then when it slips they just plug the tube into the nozzle of the spray can and shoot some WD into it till it grabs again.personally I prefer to take the bearing out and let it soak for a few hours in a container filled with non-chlorinated brake cleaner,this helps break down the sludge that causes the bearing to slip.alot of times a bearing that keeps slipping is caused by fuel/oil leaking through the backingplate of the engine,you may wanna check for that and if it is leaking you should fix it or you're gonna have constant problems with the bearing slipping.

I've had to clean mine only twice in three years. Take it out, slosh it around in denatured alcohol (plain old rubbing alcohol) blow it off with an air hose. Do that a couple of times and put it back in. It's oil from the engine that makes it slip. You also need to clean the shaft. I never heard of the WD-40 treatment.
Some people recommend drilling a hole on the side to squirt alcohol in, with a small drain hole on the bottom. That way you can clean it without taking it apart. Problem there is dust getting in and eating the bearing.

The most sure fire method is to disassemble the starting mechanism (EZ or pull) and remove the one way. Give it a good cleaning and re-install it. Realize that cleaning the one way only solves the problem temporarily. If you do not also clean the starting mechanism casing, all the oil and junk collected in said casing will eventually find its way back onto the one way.

Also, if you find yourself having to clean the one way frequently, then you may have a leaky back plate. You may want to solve that problem prior to cleaning the one way. Why? All the cleaning in the world will not prevent the slippage if the back plate continues to leak spent oil and fuel into the starter casing.

If that plate IS leaking whats the best way to seal it? A rubber gasket type insert or silicone or ...?

Thanks for all your posts and efforts with te links. I'll be running again in no time I'm sure. RCNT is awesome.

usually it leaks through the brass bushing that the starter shaft rides on,your best bet is to just get a new backing plate.I'm not sure if you can find just the bushing,but after you go through all the work of trying to press it out and get a new one in there you'd probably have been better off just spending the $10 for a whole new plate.here's a link to the part on tower's website,you may also wanna consider spending another $10 on the starter shaft since sometimes they wear also which will may cause a leak as well.the shaft is listed in the "other items of interest" section on the page for the backing plate.here's the link.....2.5 backing plate your local hobby shop should be able to order one for you,if you don't wanna order over the net (probably cheaper since you'll have to pay shipping and customs if you order through tower).

Last edited:
Well I'm definately going to try cleaning it first. This is the first time I've had problems with the one way. Then if that don't work It may be customs time.

having the same prob

iv had the same prob so i replaced the bearing and shortly after had to retune it wastn running good so by the time i got it started and running right that dang thing is spinning again so i goin to try the cleaning idea thanks

dead thread lol

BUT yea that one way bearing is annoying my brand new 3.3 has it slipping already....my old 2.5 did the same thing.....

3.3 will work for 3 tanks MAX then i gotta tear it down and clean it.

Yesterday I was run mine in the snow and it began to slip I just pull the bearing off the clean it with just a rag and slap it back together.

That post was years ago.

...and since then I have fixed this bearing hundreds of times. I have found the most effective way is with a hi pressure hose and hot water. I usually take the bearing out and bring it to a carwash. I pin it to the ground with the tip of the hose and blast water through the hole. Works every time.

Alright who pulled this thread outta the basement??? You got dust EVERYWHERE and Rolex is about to faint!

best way to do it is take the whole engine out and take the starter off and take the bearing out and spray brakekleener in it and blow it out with a air compressor. Repeat the last 2 steps several times till ALL oil is cleaned out and its dry as a bone. Then wipe off the crankshaft real good and put everything back together.

i use gumout carb cleaner on the bearing, gets all that crap out. after bout 3 times of cleaning the bearing i completly dissasemble the ez start and put new grease in, i use bearing grease to do the job. i havnt yet ever had to replace the one way yet.

i use gumout carb cleaner on the bearing, gets all that crap out. after bout 3 times of cleaning the bearing i completly dissasemble the ez start and put new grease in, i use bearing grease to do the job. i havnt yet ever had to replace the one way yet.

If the grease works well for you then cool. However, part of having to clean your one way often is because of the grease. Light machine oil such as 3-n-1 works wonders. Just a suggestion.

Just do not use WD-40 to clean your bearings no matter what anyone else says. Someone once said Traxxas was spreading that one around.

one-way

i have also heard it has to do with the type of fuel you are running. find a fuel with less oil content. i think traxxas is 16++% oil get a 11%. you'll find you will be degreasing your one way less.

The one way bearing is slipping in my EZ start. I did a search here and there were many responses on how to fix the problem. Most people responded with a link to another site. Now those links don't work. Does anybody know where I can find a fix for this?

i went to a site where it told me what exactly to do and it worked!!
what you have to do is take out your one way bearing and rinse it off with hott water... and let it set out to dry. then clean your shaft that your bearing goes on and also your plate that around it with a rag... the reason why it slips is because there becomes oil deposites from unburnt gas and causes your the shaft and bearing to have no friction. put a couple of drops of synthetic motor oil on it and slip it back on and it should work... it worked for me!!:D:D

Back