One way bearing on pull start question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rgc123

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys,

Just a quick question as i made an error when taking apart my pull start back plate to investigate an air leak.

Its a thunder tiger pro 18bx engine, and i have removed the one way bearing inside the pull start housing, and i cannot remember which way it goes back in?

Can some one tell me which way it goes back in, or which way the engine is supposed to turn when it is inserted correctly.

Regards,

Rhys

mine are clockwise locked counterclockwise free.double check with your spurgear.same thing turn it and it should start rolling your drives the same direction your one way locks

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply...

So when installed correctly your OWB when turned clockwise turns the engine, and when turned anti clockwise it turns free?

Is this true of all Nitro engines, or have you got a TT pro 18 bx?

I am quite a newbie to Nitro, so just didnt want to damage it

Regards,
Rhys

The engine/flywheel should turn counter clockwise when looking at it from the front.

Ok, so big silver disc rotating CCW when viewing from the front...

Thank you gents, you have been a wealth of knowledge as usual.

Regards,
Rhys

Um... pull the string? That's the way its gonna turn the bearing.... so make that be the direction that locks.

Um... pull the string? That's the way its gonna turn the bearing.... so make that be the direction that locks.

See thats why ur an experienced rc and I'm newbie...many thanks

if ur bearing has text on it that text should go towards the motor. I'm pretty sure thats how they all go.... if it doesn't have text on it then if u take the back plate off and attach ur pull start and everything when u put ur finger on the OWB shaft it should spin against ur finger when u pull it out. if it wants to spin when ur pull start is retracting then its the wrong way around.

Thank you Revo, and others.
I have checked and it is the correct way now. Just awaiting the arrival of a new pull start today as the old rope was naffed. The engine is now all resealed and has cured over night, so we should have some nitro action before the end of the day...and hopefully without erratic idling, high temps and cutting out on WOT (which was what prompted my investigations for my suspected leak)

Regards,
Rhys