Oldie buggy nitro to BL conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankestein

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Have always had this project in the shelf to complete and finally this week I did.

Its a conservative 4S setup for now using GoolRc electronics, brushless motor and 80A ESC.

IMG_20180307_211248.jpg
* trying to figure out how to set the electronics w different receiver and esc configurations.

IMG_20180310_172246.jpg
* final product for now. From a left over tv clear plastic board cut a small mounting block and then glued the ESC to it w Gorilla E6000 type glue. The heatsink was on sale at HK, minor cutting to route the cables and rear brace.

IMG_20180310_172300.jpg
* Monster-RC battery block and strap.
Deans as usual, good for 80A.
Zippy 40C
IMG_20180310_172408.jpg
* the ESC will not go anywhere, secured the clear plastic to the counter sunk chassis.

IMG_20180310_172345.jpg
* 15T, runs comfortably warm, overall gearing as is, good for backyard bashing. Not a torque monster nor a speed freak. The esc setting are all on the low side, acceleration, braking and neutral point.

IMG_20180310_172224.jpg
* Have not painted yet the clear body for the brushless setup. As usual, could not resist, slap the nitro body and to the dirt it went. Still has some work to do on diff and shock settings, currently as it comes from factory which is on the loose side.

I do have a spare new ARRMA 6s BXL motor and black esc, but wanted to see how it handled on 4S. Its not that fast, but overall its a challenge to keep the momentum going, throttle control, etc, besides I have not even touched the diffs so dont want to crank up the power and cause literally mayhem.

* this is a Sportwerks Mayhem / Turmoil Pro. I have four buggies, so two nitro .21, .26, the BL and a shelf queen, and tons of spare parts.

large__17_03_2008_10_31_muggymountweb3.JPG

https://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=Electric_Motor_Mount__Losi_Muggy/Sportwerks_Mayhem

This is a budget BL build, w the Goolrc setup bought on Ebay its more than enough, Redcat Blackout Pro steering metal gear servo. Which I am very impressed, very fast and strong for the price.

For speed, I got other rc for that, am more into the handling of the buggy using 4wd on dirt, power slides, jumps, etc.

Yesterday match it up against the Talion, on 5S 5000mah and stock 150Amp and BLX motor 17T against the buggy. I was on 4S 3600mah 19T. It would be even out from the hole to maybe almost halfway, but once hit full throttle would just leave the Talion behind. Its a very lightweight buggy, kind of the race version back in the day, counter sunk chassis, hd shock towers and braces, adjustable shock collars, pillow ball suspension. Its not dialed yet, diff stock from factory, can tell power getting lost in the diffs as oil is too light, for now its fine as I get used to the BL and make sure everything is sound. I have a new ARRMA esc and motor I bought spare a while back for a good deal, but I dont think its necessary. Get good speed, run times and electronics barely warmup.

Last edited:
Back