Older transmitter question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, new here seeking some advice. I have an older Kyosho Impulse II transmitter I’m trying to use in a robots project. I get all of 30 feet of range before it stops working. It’s an am transmitter at 75.510 MHz, 66, 2 channel, surface only, very basic. After 20 to 30 feet it gets all jittery and cuts in and out. Is there any way to extend the range on it by swapping out the receiver? Which one would I use? It only needs to go a 100 feet or so. It works good at short ranges. I am hoping to be able to use a different receiver because I may have damaged the one I have at some point. The batteries are new.

Some more helpful information, the transmitter is from 1988 and never really worked until I swapped out the crystals. It’s hooked up to a Cytron 10A motor controller. It drives a small moderately powerful slow speed robot. I understand there are lots of new transmitters out there but I’d like to try and use the one I have because I don’t need anything fancy, and 12 year old me saved up for it quite some time ago.

Thanks
Steve

Hi, new here seeking some advice. I have an older Kyosho Impulse II transmitter I’m trying to use in a robots project. I get all of 30 feet of range before it stops working. It’s an am transmitter at 75.510 MHz, 66, 2 channel, surface only, very basic. After 20 to 30 feet it gets all jittery and cuts in and out. Is there any way to extend the range on it by swapping out the receiver? Which one would I use? It only needs to go a 100 feet or so. It works good at short ranges. I am hoping to be able to use a different receiver because I may have damaged the one I have at some point. The batteries are new.

Some more helpful information, the transmitter is from 1988 and never really worked until I swapped out the crystals. It’s hooked up to a Cytron 10A motor controller. It drives a small moderately powerful slow speed robot. I understand there are lots of new transmitters out there but I’d like to try and use the one I have because I don’t need anything fancy, and 12 year old me saved up for it quite some time ago.

Thanks
Steve
you're highly unlikely to find another working receiver for that ancient radio. You can try and find a used one on ebay but more than likely you're looking at replacing the whole thing with a newer 2.4Ghz system.

Welcome to RCT. You will likely need a new radio system like previously mentioned. You can get a Flysky GT3B for around $45. Or you might find a used 2 channel system on ebay for cheap.

Welcome to RCT. You will likely need a new radio system like previously mentioned. You can get a Flysky GT3B for around $45. Or you might find a used 2 channel system on ebay for cheap.
Just FYI, the Kyosho Impulse II transmitter isnt a ground kit TX. Flysky does make a decent air TX though. $56.50 on Amazon

FLYSKY FS-i6X 10CH 2.4GHz RC Transmitter

you can get dual stick ground with 4 channels if you look.

Thanks
Steve
If you can use a typical surface radio with a steering knob, and not a twin stick, you can get several different radios from Jenny's RC for way less than a new receiver for the vintage radio would be, if you could even find one. Any one of these 3 are around $30, or less shipped: https://jennysrc.com/products/team-...ntor-s2r-c-00167?_pos=26&_sid=2b9c51033&_ss=r
https://jennysrc.com/products/kaiju...480-redcat-racing?_pos=9&_sid=c4e76d642&_ss=r
https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-kraton-ar102696?_pos=12&_sid=c4e76d642&_ss=r
Two of them are 3 channel, and the Team Corally is a 2 channel. Of the three, i would choose the Spektrum, but, a lot of guys on here dont like them. It would help if we knew what kind of robot though.
If you absolutely need a stick radio, the cheapest i know of is the Tactic TTX403 from Horizon hobby: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ampaign=pmax&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google but i dont know if it comes with a receiver or not, so i would contact Horizon about it.

I would highly recommend not trying to make an old AM system work. You can get a new Flysky GT3 with receiver for about $40 on Amazon and if you need more channels the GT5 is a 6 channel around $70 but watch because they go on sale all the time. I picked my GT5 up for $55 before Xmas last year.

The FSi6 is a stick style 6 channel for around $60 if you needed sticks.

They all would be better than the old AM setup. Range and runaways were always a concern with those. Probably even worse now.