Old School Twisters Motor Specifications - help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to purchase it but its not available in the US. O-well.
THIS looks to be a similar product. I'm not 100% sure though cuz it says LCG so IDK if that means you have to have the LCG chassis to use it or not. Take a look and see what you think.

THIS looks to be a similar product. I'm not 100% sure though cuz it says LCG so IDK if that means you have to have the LCG chassis to use it or not. Take a look and see what you think.
Thank you Greywolf74. I would say you are right in that it looks like LCG chassis only and its $70 too. I did find that other one for $60 shipped but even that one seems a bit over priced.

Thank you Greywolf74. I would say you are right in that it looks like LCG chassis only and its $70 too. I did find that other one for $60 shipped but even that one seems a bit over priced.
Well, we tried. That was the only other thing I could find. If theyre effective Id be willing to be someone here or in China will start making/exporting something similar.

Thanks Greywolf74, I really do appreciate the effort.

My son is thinking of saving his money for a Rustler 4x4 vxl or something similar. He was just asking me if the Rustler 4x4 would have the same issue with debris getting into the drive shaft and eventually spur gear like the Slash. I told him I would have to see one in person to know. Seems like Traxxas has a poor design on the Slash.

The slash (and in fact most kits) is supposed to have a cover that goes over the spur/pinion area to keep things from getting in there. Is his missing the cover?

The slash (and in fact most kits) is supposed to have a cover that goes over the spur/pinion area to keep things from getting in there. Is his missing the cover?
Greywolf74,

There is a cover provided by the factory over the spur gear and there is also a cover provided over the drive shaft that extends from the spur gear cover to the opening in the chassis near the front axle. It is at this point where the opening is at the front chassis that debris gets into that hole, between the cover and drive shaft, and then under the cover that is over the spur gear. Everything for protection on this vehicle is as it was from the factory.

57CB7609-84C3-4D08-92B7-25EFD22A3D56.jpeg
B90731D5-E254-4995-B233-34FFAFE42B4F.jpeg

Hmmm not sure on that one then. I've never owned a slash so I'm not familair with all of its idiosyncrasies.

I had one ,the cover over the drive shaft is clear ,if the cover is not there ,I am quite sure
that one can be purchased!..
Good pic show JCsRC!...:thumbs-up:

I did end up finding a cover for $20 at JCconcepts but havent orderd it yet and may not have to now. Today we decided to upgrade the stock Slash wheels for some Pro-Line 2.8” Trencher wheels. We also extended the body mounts with parts from a 2wd kit because the hobby store didnt have a 4wd kit. We also trimmed the cover for wheel clearance and added some adjustable camber links to make his stock Slash into a sort of monster truck. We then swapped the 11-tooth pinion for the smallest one they had which was a 9-tooth pinion to compensate for the larger wheels. It came out looking quite awesome actually and he’s pretty excited. I let him do most of the work himself and I basically just helped with cutting the stock lexan body and modifying the body extensions to work with the 4x4 Slash mounts.

He took it out and thrashed it around up and down our gravel street and discovered that there was hardly any debris inside the chassis after these upgrades, which was a nice surprise. Even though we reduce the gearing he thinks it might be a little faster now too. He did comment that the steering was a little bit slower but it is still ok. The motor did get a little warmer but after 20 minutes of thrashing it was only 114 degrees measured with an infrared thermometer on the case. The motor fan upgrade helps a lot.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

998D26D8-41DF-48B2-8FE4-CA3A3CB5DC5D.jpeg
4DAC3661-1959-4311-AECA-3B55C996814A.jpeg
2A4DEDDD-EE9F-4602-B6BD-7193B330BC57.jpeg
DF4229B6-2686-498E-A4BF-505A391E17B9.jpeg
D34217E9-E2A0-4091-968C-A33BF85446A4.jpeg
C5CDD59D-32A8-4BD9-9C77-2497AAFB06C1.jpeg
A291F381-EB08-4E8D-954F-EDD25390DD4D.jpeg
9350CEC5-721E-4DDF-A237-7EC19EF92597.jpeg
F803C9EB-3F59-43F7-BA67-5EDC14230830.jpeg

Last edited:
I did end up finding a cover for $20 at JCconcepts but havent orderd it yet and may not have to now. Today we decided to upgrade the stock Slash wheels for some Pro-Line 2.8” Trencher wheels. We also extended the body mounts with parts from a 2wd kit because the hobby store didnt have a 4wd kit. We also trimmed the cover for wheel clearance and added some adjustable camber links to make his stock Slash into a sort of monster truck. We then swapped the 11-tooth pinion for the smallest one they had which was a 9-tooth pinion to compensate for the larger wheels. It came out looking quite awesome actually and he’s pretty excited. I let him do most of the work himself and I basically just helped with cutting the stock lexan body and modifying the body extensions to work with the 4x4 Slash mounts.

He took it out and thrashed it around up and down our gravel street and discovered that there was hardly any debris inside the chassis after these upgrades, which was a nice surprise. Even though we reduce the gearing he thinks it might be a little faster now too. He did comment that the steering was a little bit slower but it is still ok. The motor did get a little warmer but after 20 minutes of thrashing it was only 114 degrees measured with an infrared thermometer on the case. The motor fan upgrade helps a lot.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

View attachment 128588View attachment 128590View attachment 128589View attachment 128591View attachment 128592View attachment 128593View attachment 128594View attachment 128595View attachment 128596

You did that Traxxas justice!..:thumbs-up:

You can get a more powerful servo eventually to cope with the larger tires. Something like THIS would do well.

You can get a more powerful servo eventually to cope with the larger tires. Something like THIS would do well.
Looks like the stock 2075 servo is only good for 125 oz of torque. I’m going to try that Savox servo, thank you.

Looks like the stock 2075 servo is only good for 125 oz of torque. I’m going to try that Savox servo, thank you.
I just realized the servo i linked you is about 5 or 6mm taller than the 2075 thats in it so make sure you have the extra clearance in the kit but from what i just saw looking at the pics, It doesn't look like that will be a problem. If it is I can find a standard height servo to suggest.

I just realized the servo i linked you is about 5 or 6mm taller than the 2075 thats in it so make sure you have the extra clearance in the kit but from what i just saw looking at the pics, It doesn't look like that will be a problem. If it is I can find a standard height servo to suggest.
I just checked and I think there is plenty of room for a taller servo. Thank you for checking.

3329DB4E-58E3-4B33-854E-5EE714962B92.jpeg
8E3697AE-BE49-4B7B-84F5-0AE8694D12C6.jpeg

I’ve got a new question for you guys with the experience. I’m leaning towards the Castle Creations Mamba X SCT Pro Sensored 25.2V WP ESC & 1410-3800Kv 5mm Combo for my sons slash and maybe the Castle Creations Sidewinder Scat Waterproof 1:10Th 12V Esc & 5Mm Shaft 1410-3800Kv Censored Motor for the Rustler so it can at least keep up with his Slash, lol. Maybe I’ll spring for the Castle Creations Copperhead 10 "Limited Edition" Sensored Combo w/1412 (3200Kv) (SCT Edition) that @Graywolf74 recommend. The lower kv rating gives me pause though.

Either way my son became very interested in the TQi features of the Traxxas Venlineon system with telemetry features with the app. He currently has the regular TQ receiver. I was wondering if I went with one of the Castle Creations combos what to do about the receiver, and if there were other options similar to what Traxxas offers with their TQi receiver? I personally dont care but he’s turning 11 in a month and having that technology at his disposal via an app is more important to him. Any and all advice/help would be appreciated.

I took him to RC Excitement in Fitchburg, MA and he had a blast running his car on their carpeted and clay dirt tracks.

Thanks guys.

1814426F-5CE6-4D12-B2CD-86429C85FD0D.jpeg

I’ve got a new question for you guys with the experience. I’m leaning towards the Castle Creations Mamba X SCT Pro Sensored 25.2V WP ESC & 1410-3800Kv 5mm Combo for my sons slash and maybe the Castle Creations Sidewinder Scat Waterproof 1:10Th 12V Esc & 5Mm Shaft 1410-3800Kv Censored Motor for the Rustler so it can at least keep up with his Slash, lol. Maybe I’ll spring for the Castle Creations Copperhead 10 "Limited Edition" Sensored Combo w/1412 (3200Kv) (SCT Edition) that @Graywolf74 recommend. The lower kv rating gives me pause though.

Either way my son became very interested in the TQi features of the Traxxas Venlineon system with telemetry features with the app. He currently has the regular TQ receiver. I was wondering if I went with one of the Castle Creations combos what to do about the receiver, and if there were other options similar to what Traxxas offers with their TQi receiver? I personally dont care but he’s turning 11 in a month and having that technology at his disposal via an app is more important to him. Any and all advice/help would be appreciated.

I took him to RC Excitement in Fitchburg, MA and he had a blast running his car on their carpeted and clay dirt tracks.

Thanks guys.

View attachment 129364
The Mamba X SCT is a great option and the 3800kv is also an awesome motor. You could also go the Sidewinder 4/3800kv route also which is cheaper but, you loose the data logging feature of the mamba x.

You can still use the receiver and I'm pretty sure the TQI telemetry works with any ESC/Motor combo.

Back