Old RC car electronics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkCows

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey everyone,

I have a very old hobby people Runner SC car with a broken ESC I am hoping to replace. Unfortunately, since the RC car is very old, you can't find any information about the electronics on the web. But from the limited information I could gather, I know that the ESC supports 7.4 volts and has a current of 90A (I'm assuming continuous: it isn't specific). I want to spend the least amount possible to get it running again, and preferably keep the original motor. So my questions are:

1. What is the relationship of current (A) between battery, ESC, and motor? Is it ok if my new ESC has a continuous current under 90A? Also, should my battery's max discharge current be over the continuous or burst current of the ESC?
2. What should the voltage of my battery be? is it ok to go to 8.4 volts with the original battery if I get an 8.4 volt ESC?
3. Is the best solution to just get a new motor and ESC? Which motor/ESC combo would you recommend that runs an 8.4 volt battery?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.

Take this with a grain of salt. 🤣
Being all the 90a escs I find are brushless, I would try something like this.

https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-1-10-brushed-esc-hwa30120201/p713266

Heres the specs.
2S LiPo or 6 cell NiMH: 540 or 550 Size Motor: ?12T, Or RPM<30000 @7.2V

3S LiPo or 9 cell NiMH: 540 or 550 Size Motor: ?18T, Or RPM< 20000 @7.2V

As for motor, I would pick an extra one for when the stock one goes.

Hobby People and the related companies and no longer here. Paul bender died around 2016 or 2017, and all the stores and website shut down. You will probably not be able to get replacement parts for this truck.

I wish I could help you more. Our electronic and battery guru has been missing for the last 8 or so weeks.

Welcome to the site.

Take this with a grain of salt. 🤣
Being all the 90a escs I find are brushless, I would try something like this.

https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-1-10-brushed-esc-hwa30120201/p713266

Heres the specs.
2S LiPo or 6 cell NiMH: 540 or 550 Size Motor: ?12T, Or RPM<30000 @7.2V

3S LiPo or 9 cell NiMH: 540 or 550 Size Motor: ?18T, Or RPM< 20000 @7.2V

As for motor, I would pick an extra one for when the stock one goes.

Hobby People and the related companies and no longer here. Paul bender died around 2016 or 2017, and all the stores and website shut down. You will probably not be able to get replacement parts for this truck.

I wish I could help you more. Our electronic and battery guru has been missing for the last 8 or so weeks.
thank you so much for the help!

there are plenty of brushed esc on the market that will run that motor in that truck .now for battery id stay away from the 3 cell lipo mentioned above and go with a 2 cell lipo you will have to change the pinion gear up 2 or 3 teeth to get the speed of a 6 cell nimh..the so called battery guru was no guru he might have thought he was but was not a child drove him off all sites he was on by not agreeing with his outrageous tests . just my po
Reedy SC550 Brushed ESC [ASC29193] - AMain Hobbies

Last edited:
If you want to go on the cheap, I've had great luck with the goolRC brand brushless combo's on amazon. can't beat em for less than $50 bucks.

Could you upload a photo of your truck with a soda can near the motor/esc so we can get an idea of the size of things? Also helps us to figure out what kind of system you might need (brushed, brushless).

It's always best to go with the high end electronics obviously but I've found there's better things to spend my $$$ on in the RC world. I have great luck with the cheapo eBay) Amazon electrics. I beat my RCs very severely and I found the Spectrum or Traxxas stuff to be no better than the off brand electrics. All of it, high end and low, is made in the same place by the same people.
Castle is nice stuff to have but for me personally it's almost throwing $$$ away needlessly. All that crap being said, go with what makes you feel most confident that your personal RC will be durable.