Old Kyosho buggy - which model?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggla

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, found this 2WD Kyosho buggy (1/10 I guess) at a flea market yesterday. I need help to identify the model. They all look so similar, but I haven’t come across anyone that looks exactly like this one (searching online), with the big front bumper, body, wheels etc. It’s probably from the 90’s…

Does anybody know if there is some sort of adapter available so I can use my Tamiya battery packs (noticed they’re reversed), or do I have to make one myself…..?

245628495_5092869124165570_5266558999529146954_n_ac49ce02c905b1a2efccf29aaa1a4b53b92ad038.jpg

243242639_414257870061023_8863376436665921245_n_e466261ce34ccc7ed4499d214735c199fa14d639.jpg

245531525_587035035831232_5140135112112193086_n_468fd5e13b527cc8f941534cf13c02ecab94e156.jpg

Yep, it’s a Raider, I got one of those too! (just not the pro…) Have fun with it! It’s a pretty quick buggy for its age, especially with the Le Mans 240ST motor. Yours looks like it just came out of the box and was just built and never ran.

Wow. What a find! You don't find em that old in that kinda shape! I haven't seen a car with a mechanical speed control in a long time.

Thanks a lot for the input guys! In deed it
looks very clean. Hopefully it will run too!😅
Haven’t been able to test it because of the battery connector…I don’t have any spare ones lying around to be able to use my battery packs.

Haven’t been able to test it because of the battery connector…I don’t have any spare ones lying around to be able to use my battery packs.
Hobbywing 1060 should be a direct drop-in.

Unfortunately not, but I ordered one just now. Though I did get a nice looking hitec controller along with the car.
Glue the tires, the glue is probably dried/rotten by now.

Welcome
Welcome to RCT. What type of batteries do you have? There's ways around the different ends. Those tamiya plugs come apart easy. Pull the connector off and plug the wires into your battery for testing.
What type of connector does your battery have?

Welcome

Welcome to RCT. What type of batteries do you have? There's ways around the different ends. Those tamiya plugs come apart easy. Pull the connector off and plug the wires into your battery for testing.
What type of connector does your battery have?
True. Maybe I’ll do that before I make a permanent fix.

True. Maybe I’ll do that before I make a permanent fix.
That would be the easiest way to see if everything is working. Or just change the connectors all around. I have a old kyosho Pro X buggy. That I put in a esc and XT60 connectors...👍👍

Sadly it doesn’t run at all when I tested it yesterday…so there’s maybe a reason why I found it so cheap second hand😅. I’ll have to dig deeper apparently. It doesn’t seem to get any power from the battery.

Last edited:
Sadly it doesn’t run at all when I tested it yesterday…so there’s maybe a reason why I found it so cheap second hand😅. I’ll have to dig deeper apparently. It doesn’t seem to get any power from the battery.
Are all the solder joints in good condition. Did you clean the mechanical speed controll tabs. Famous for not working.. to be honest I would just get new electronics for it.. those speed controls are garbage... more problems then anything. Can get complete set up for around 100$.. check all the solder joints under the speed controller...

Are all the solder joints in good condition. Did you clean the mechanical speed controll tabs. Famous for not working.. to be honest I would just get new electronics for it.. those speed controls are garbage... more problems then anything. Can get complete set up for around 100$.. check all the solder joints under the speed controller...
Yup…I guess I’ll have to tear it apart as soon as I get the time needed. Was hoping to get it running just to get a feel, before upgrading, since it all looked so clean.

Finally got my quicrun 1060 today. Managed to get the car running last week aswell. Had to replace a connector to the resistor that seem to have been burnt...the car was pretty fast, but the speed control had its issues, not responding too well when reversing etc.
Anyhow, let's jump to some more newbie questions;

Now that I've fitted the quicrun the problems with the non responding reverse gear is still there...does anyone have a clue? Could it be an issue with the motor? The ESC is responding to the controller as it seems...but it takes around four tries before the motor is finally reversing.
AND, are there any beetle bodies that would fit the raider chassi, without major modification (or is it blasphemy to even think of such things)? I really loved the sand scorcher as a kid and the kyosho beetle looks neat.

Last edited:
Back