OFNA force .28 install help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperMaxx361

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all! I am not terribly new to the forum but since this is only my 2nd post its going to double as a introduction as well... I'm from downers grove illinois and have been into RC since I can remember. I'm have been an automotive tech for a little over a decade but intialy started doing that because of my love of trucks we all love here. My post is about my money pit of a tmaxx that I can never seem to just drive and fix as it breaks its, always got to be that much faster or stronger lol...anyway I've picked up a nice new OFNA Force .28 that out of the box I've hit multiple road blocks. First off my plan was to simply use the flywheel/clutch off of the 3.3 I was using which is a stlye that even after reading tons of topics about clutch systems I hadn't seen any info or opinions on so I though hey why not give it a try...it consists of two large half moon shape aluminum shoes with a dual spring setup on on either side of the shoe that sits in a set of guides that is part of the actual flywheel. My question on that is wether or not a 1/10 scale clutch is ideal for the engine or should I go with a buku adjustable setup built for an 1/8 scale? The trucks is very heavy already so I'm thinkin it will be nessesary at some point anyway. I also need to find a flywheel nut that will work since the I just figure the 3.3 one would haved worked...it does not....can someone tell me what nut will fit this engine I don't feel like buying 1 that won't work and ill be curbed for another week waiting for snail mail...sorry about the long post lol and thank you for any advice you could give me and I will try to get pictures of everything up as soon as I figure out how to do that from my phone lol

Go with buku, you will love it. I just put a ofna 32 in my tmaxx and with some help from the guys on this forum it was a easy install look at my post and most of your questions will be in it. If you need more help pm me we can meet up I'm really close to you.

I thought you might say that nikko and after doing some research on it I've decided that the buku is the way to go. where in illinios are you located? if not to help me out just go out bashing! A neighbor of mine has the picco .26 red dot in his so I'm sure he'd be down too!

---------- Post added at 1:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:54 PM ----------

how do you post pictures? I've been trying to put up some of the clutch and just the truck itself but the solution is evading me...

You need to put the pict on Photobucket and then upload the photo on this site.
I'm in schaumburg, I would try to talk out of putting that ofna in your maxx, I have my max completely built up and I'm breaking things all over the place, take everyone's advice and go with a drop in eng like a pico.

well I've built everything up from the ground up on this thing from a old school narrow .15 4910 model and the last step is this engine, I'm down about 1200 bucks worth of chassis and drivetrain upgrades and the latest weak piont was the two small pins inside of the second speed gear. robinson racing gears are in my near future! lol, I've uploaded all the pics to my profile at least and whoever want to can see the truck and the gears i destroyed there for now untill i set up the photobucket thing you mentioned

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w500/zztricksterzz/2012-05-08070751.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

well here it is! .28 OFNA engine fit with minimal issues, had to drill new slots for the motor mount, modify a right rear bulkhead and the rear shock tower but it fits! going to road test and tune this afternoon after work becuse it was dark when i fired it up last night at 9pm lol, its very loud I'm sure my neighbors were pleased!

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w500/zztricksterzz/2012-05-08070739.jpg

thanks nikko! i finally had someone take some video of it, sorry for the poor quality all i had on me was my phone... the tune was off so it was running a bit sluggish and I'm pretty sure the clutch spring and shoes are due to be changed but its quick with the wide ratio gear set installed! 2 gallons threw the engine and I've yet to really break anything! I'm very pleased with it!

I'Ve got the same motor in my supermaxx and its a real jet still running stock drivetrain and clutch thr only prob I've got is keeping the front wheels on the grounc

It really is! Wheelies happen when its tuned perfectly or I'm on pavement but its heavy so I think that helps keep the front end down where its supposed to be!

I'm still running mine at break in settings and for a real heavy truck it still pops a wheelie off the line

Back