Ofna Blazer SST vs. HB Lightning Stadium Pro vs. Ofna Dominator vs GS Storm SUT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llbr222

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm getting a new truggy (hopefully soon) for next summer

what would you pick?

Ofna Blazer SST vs. HB Lightning Stadium Pro vs. Ofna Dominator vs GS Storm SUT vs. any other suggestions welcome!

I wanna race, but I wanna bash a bit too...

Thanks!

What does your LHS carry for parts? The HB's never have parts around. The SST looks nice,comes very well equiped. The Dominator dont know much about it. I like the Storm,every time I see them on the track they are doing well. I just picked up a Ofna buggy converted to truggy,but havent had time to run it yet.

thanks! I can't wait to here about your ofna turned truggy... my lhs really likes ofna... but I haven't read any reviews on the SST anywhere... doesn't seem to popular, which is of course cool too....

I have a HB Lightning Stadium with a Wasp .26 and I love it for racing. It handles the track nice and hits the jumps great. Parts are very hard still to come by since it is a very fairly new truck to the market however you will notice that parts from the HB lightning buggies are the same as on the truggy stadium. Plus you would be surprised that how many other manfacturers have similar parts from their line that fits what you got.

here is my HB Lightning Stadium with a Proline Crowd Pleazer body made for a MGT.

DSCN1051.gif

DSCN1053.gif

that looks awesome! How is the HB for bashing... my only hang up about buying this one is price (but oh well), and durability.. although I'm not one to do 10' jumps....

truggys are more durable than most (all but the savage IMO) of the monster trucks on the market. go ahead and do those 10' foot jumps....

watch out on buggies made into truggies, many tracks are puttin the clamps on what and what doesn't run.

i just bought a SUT last mth. still only thru tank 6, doin the GS team tech rebuild on it 1st.

-Ult

I owned an SUT for a while - I wasn't impressed. The new SUT Pro may be a little better, but I had to wait forever for parts - GS parts can be difficult. The Blazer is based on the 9.5 which has been around for a while making it your best bet if parts availibility is your primary concern. If performance is your main concern - get the Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium - it outperforms all the others here without question. The Lightning buggy parts will fit on it and both are based loosely on the Inferno 7.5 as are many other buggies so other mfgs. parts may be adaptable.

$479.99 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHSU5&P=ML

$ 599.99 http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHMU0&P=ML

$459.99 http://rc-nation.com/proddetail.php?prod=GS-2005

These would be the 3 I would say are your best bets.(if your looking RTR)
1.The nice thing about the Blazer is you get a LOT of stuff with it!! LHS all over have parts,dont know on performance
2.The HB is the BEST racer of the bunch,but try looking for parts( truggy or buggy)
3.The GS is the tweener,my LHS carries bits for it not all do. And from what I have seen,it does OK at the track.(i'm kinda biased,I have a Storm buggy) It also has a FM radio,but is the only one w/a pull start, others have shaft starts.(some say thats a good thing)

UltraSTI,I dont have to worry about my track,they are kinda loose on rules.Heck, they let a HPI MT run with all the other ST.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the ofna... LHS' all around my area have parts... their buggies are everywhere. I have yet to see any HB around here, but I'm wondering if I can help change that. My LHS dude supports me real well, but if HB isn't putting the parts out then it could be difficult... for example, when you click on this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=HBSC5505&P=Z

there are a TON of parts... still on order

if you click on this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=OFNC3495&P=Z

just about everything is in stock! but I really just don't know about the performace of the SST... I'm sure it's still great, but the WIDE stance of the LSP and from what everyone write/says about handling... it seems like an awesome truck!!

hey NJRC... Where did you get the aluminum caps for the shocks?

it really depends on what your LHS supports for parts manufacturers. I know my LHS does not support too much Ofna parts nor do they sell any Ofna Kits but then they support Hot Bodies parts and sell HB kits. This is "one reason" why I chose the HB Lightning Stadium since parts can be available to me. In my area, I have 5 LHS all within less than 25 miles from my house and they all carry HB parts. Like I said, alot of the HB lightning series buggy parts will work on the Lightning Stadium. The most issue for parts on the Lightning Stadium would be the suspension arms due to the length of them. I do not have the Pro version which comes with the aluminum arms. I have plastic arms on mine and many have had them break already. I had to JB Weld one of my front arms that had a crack just so that I can make a race weekend. I am still waiting on the release for replacement arms to hit the market as I would do the aluminum upgrade. Another issue is the front universals, the pins that go in the inner drive cup break off due to a production defect so HB will send you new corrected ones if you request them from HB.
The HB Lightning is more of a racer but definitely can take the heat. The much longer chassis and wheel base handles track conditions great. The HB Lightning squats down low which gives less chance of rollovers. I can't really speak for any of the other new truggies in the market.

A shot of how flat this truggy racer sits

DSCN1050.gif

i'm likin what i see outta this SUT so far, doin the team tech article has really afforded me the chance 2 get more familar w/the car similar to the old days where it was all kits. i'm not very familar to RTR kits, but i like what they've done 4 nitro now that i'm back into this. but on the flipside i dont expect every line worker on the job at the plant 2 shave an a-arm or steering knuckle of its extra flash or 2 scotch brite a burr off a kingpin on a low speed drill press.

-Ult

the dominator is sweet so is the blazer if your lhs likes OFNA and has parts for it go for it OFNA makes hi quality s*** aluminum front hubs standerd the dominator is really strong and its two times cheaper than the SUT pro go OFNA all the WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OFNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OFNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOMFAO

Ps i like OFNA i wish they make a 1/10 2wd staduim truck

please dont get flame headed over MY OFNA claime i dont want a out of controle thread here we are here to help a fellow out!

pps OFNA OFNA OFNA OFNA srry lol

just my :2cents:

-OFNApirateMAN

Hey NJRC - I just got my LS Pro - What stuff did you use to make that upper front chassis brace. I used a Hyper 7 front chassis brace to replace the stocker but saw the holes in the steering & diff plates to add a cross brace - good idea using a turnbuckle. Have you had any problems with the shock ends? I've heard they are breaking. Also, what did you use for shock/diff oil? I know for the GS SUT they said to use 10k/30k/3k and since this has a similar setup I was planning on starting there. (I actually put 50k in the center as per RCDriver. Also, how did you like the stock motor?

yes, I used a thick turnbuckle for added support onthe front chassis brace....good eye on you.
The upper alluminum shock caps are off a Lightning Buggy. The lower shock ends, I just switched out to aluminum ones that my LHS carried for a MGT, sorry no part number on that.
The diff oil, I did not change that yet as my racing season had ended with only 2 races on the truggy. The shock oils, I used 35wt.
Another thing that I swapped due to factory production defect was the front universals since the pins that sit in the diff cups will snap off on the Pro on non Pro versions. For now, I traded a fellow truggy owner for his rear dogbones and I used them on my front drive axles until HB or MIP provides stronger replacements. The rear dogbones don't have issues. However I did hear that a CVD from a LST is long enough for the HB truggy. I have tried a CVD from a MGT which does come close but a bit too short when it comes to suspenion travel which they may seem to fall out of the diff cups.
Not much other changes done until hop ups and stock replacements are available. If your LHS carries Lightning buggy parts then that's a good thing since alot of parts work on the truggy.
Good luck with yours.

Weak CVDs

There really is no excuse anymore for stuff coming out with weak / inferior parts. You'll always have the odd piece that gets through the QC area, but there should not be bad parts in production. This is surely not the first vehicle to use this outdrive setup. Can we please build these things so they survive their intended purpose?

Sorry, haven't had my coffee yet. . . :arrr:

which car u talkin about? i've never had an rtr b4, but i knew that they could stand 2 b gone over like i would do so while buildin a kit. does make u more familiar w/ur car i must say. of course there's always room for improvement on a base car, and if they are inexpensive 2 do, thats cool not like having to buy a full bearing set, new towers and shocks, wheelset, this that etc.

i think he should just go w/somethin that his LHS supports w/ample parts and fits his/her budget.

-Ult

If you are going to be racing get the Hot Bodies rig...They are awesome...I just picked one up and by the looks of it these other companies better follow hot bodies lead in truggy technology if they want to be a serious competitor on the track

Thanks all for the insite! I'm 90% there on getting the LSP,but now I'm torn since I may want a buggy instead... oh what a can of worms that may be!!!

But really this HB looks so much like a buggy, I think I may be getting the best of both worlds!