Officially irritated with arrma

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armykyle1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As many of you know, I'm new to the hobby. But expending my collection quickly.

I picked my outcast exb (rtr) a few days ago. The stock servo started going out after 10min of driving around. No crashes or anything crazy (yet) but a couple wheelies into it going on its roof. Ordered a replacement servo as I'm very impatient and didn't want to bother with a warranty. Only available 23t servos I found were spektrum and we're not putting the same crap back on.

35kg 25t servo shows up with a "normal" servo horn. Well, that ain't gonna work kiddo, unless you want your linkage at a ridiculous angle. Fiddled with different ideas, nothing I felt good about. Took to the internet and discovered that v5 trucks have a slightly different servo mount than previous generations, which requires a high offset servo horn.

So you'll need a 25t servo horn with a high offset, which a few companies offer. Hobby park, hot racing etc. I know I'm new but I've seen multiple posts about these servo upgrade and no mention of the weird servo horn issue. Not sure if the other posts only referenced older trucks or left the information out all together. So now I wait on more parts... I'm very annoyed haha.
20211016_015024.jpg

20211020_221445.jpg

20211020_221520.jpg

As many of you know, I'm new to the hobby. But expending my collection quickly.

I picked my outcast exb (rtr) a few days ago. The stock servo started going out after 10min of driving around. No crashes or anything crazy (yet) but a couple wheelies into it going on its roof. Ordered a replacement servo as I'm very impatient and didn't want to bother with a warranty. Only available 23t servos I found were spektrum and we're not putting the same crap back on.

35kg 25t servo shows up with a "normal" servo horn. Well, that ain't gonna work kiddo, unless you want your linkage at a ridiculous angle. Fiddled with different ideas, nothing I felt good about. Took to the internet and discovered that v5 trucks have a slightly different servo mount than previous generations, which requires a high offset servo horn.

So you'll need a 25t servo horn with a high offset, which a few companies offer. Hobby park, hot racing etc. I know I'm new but I've seen multiple posts about these servo upgrade and no mention of the weird servo horn issue. Not sure if the other posts only referenced older trucks or left the information out all together. So now I wait on more parts... I'm very annoyed haha.
Are you worried about the angle of the linkage from the servo to the steering linkage? It doesn't look that extreme, so why wouldnt it work the way you have it? Another idea, could you mount the servo below the servo mount, and get a straighter angle that way? I know nothing about the Kraton EXB, but, i have done similar things on other vehicles.

Are you worried about the angle of the linkage from the servo to the steering linkage? It doesn't look that extreme, so why wouldnt it work the way you have it? Another idea, could you mount the servo below the servo mount, and get a straighter angle that way? I know nothing about the Kraton EXB, but, i have done similar things on other vehicles.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the pivot joints are basically maxed out and not bottomed out, so spacers would be needed still. I looked at going below the servo mount, but there's not enough space. It's pretty goofy. Not a huge deal, just annoying lol.

Those hexagonal standoffs under the servo mount - can you shorten them to lower the servo a bit? Another option is they make low profile servos that you could mount under the servo plate. Or you could add a spacer under the forward mount of the steering arm to raise that end up a bit. Not familiar with that kit either.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the pivot joints are basically maxed out and not bottomed out, so spacers would be needed still. I looked at going below the servo mount, but there's not enough space. It's pretty goofy. Not a huge deal, just annoying lol.
Just get a aluminum spacer for the steering arm not the servo. With a longer screw..you can get them in a bunch of different sizes and at homedepot or lowes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BYFZPXY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XJX2XXG8P780WDFDECPR
And level of the linkage
And level of the linkage

Last edited:
Those hexagonal standoffs under the servo mount - can you shorten them to lower the servo a bit? Another option is they make low profile servos that you could mount under the servo plate. Or you could add a spacer under the forward mount of the steering arm to raise that end up a bit. Not familiar with that kit either.
Just get a aluminum spacer for the steering arm not the servo. With a longer screw..you can get them in a bunch of different sizes and at homedepot or lowes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BYFZPXY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XJX2XXG8P780WDFDECPR
And level of the linkage
And level of the linkage
This was my first thought as well. You dont even really need a spacer per se, just a longer screw and then use a nut or even two as your spacer.

I admit though that does look like a dumb design. I'm not sure why Arrma didnt just make the servo mount lower in the first place but these are the trials and tribulations of the hobby. You gotta bash all the weak spots out of the kits.

Warranty it and once you get a new servo, set the endpoints correctly, I didn’t do it in my Typhon 3s and burnt out the servo!

They could be trimmed probably, but there's very little clearance between the back of the servo and chassis. I don't think it would healthy for the servo to back on the chassis.

And level of the linkage
And level of the linkage

I already ordered two different servo horns. So it's in timeout until those come in lol.

This was my first thought as well. You dont even really need a spacer per se, just a longer screw and then use a nut or even two as your spacer.

I admit though that does look like a dumb design. I'm not sure why Arrma didnt just make the servo mount lower in the first place but these are the trials and tribulations of the hobby. You gotta bash all the weak spots out of the kits.

The thing I don't like about spacing it off is changing the torsional load and putting a lot more stress on the links. It could be perfectly fine and it could possibly bend or break something else haha.

Warranty it and once you get a new servo, set the endpoints correctly, I didn’t do it in my Typhon 3s and burnt out the servo!

Yea, I probably wrongly assumed they were set correctly from the factory. I didn't notice it binding though. Before I run my cars, I typically lift the front up and check end to end steering. I may still see it they'll warranty it but I already took the servo apart 🤣.

Wow you got some good patience.. I would have giving it a run the way it is.. and see how it worked. Or maybe changed the screw alone to raise the linkage. Those are designed so if you upgrade the balls allow for angle change.. well learn something new everyday. 👍👍
They could be trimmed probably, but there's very little clearance between the back of the servo and chassis. I don't think it would healthy for the servo to back on the chassis.

I already ordered two different servo horns. So it's in timeout until those come in lol.

The thing I don't like about spacing it off is changing the torsional load and putting a lot more stress on the links. It could be perfectly fine and it could possibly bend or break something else haha.

Yea, I probably wrongly assumed they were set correctly from the factory. I didn't notice it binding though. Before I run my cars, I typically lift the front up and check end to end steering. I may still see it they'll warranty it but I already took the servo apart 🤣.
As long as you didn't mess up anything else in servo taken it apart. They should warranty it for you bud 👍👍
Unfortunately you can't assume anything when it comes to the RCs everyone's set up is different and they way they mount stuff or modify their Rc. And all servo are made different with different parts and splines...Well now you know.. how long till the parts come in..

Wow you got some good patience.. I would have giving it a run the way it is.. and see how it worked. Or maybe changed the screw alone to raise the linkage. Those are designed so if you upgrade the balls allow for angle change.. well learn something new everyday. 👍👍

As long as you didn't mess up anything else in servo taken it apart. They should warranty it for you bud 👍👍
Unfortunately you can't assume anything when it comes to the RCs everyone's set up is different and they way they mount stuff or modify their Rc. And all servo are made different with different parts and splines...Well now you know.. how long till the parts come in..

I was so tempted to run it as it is. But I've learned the hard way too many times about running things half assed. Plus I was extremely annoyed and disappointed with everything. Both with arrma and myself, mainly for not doing more research. Plus opted for cheaper shipping on the xmaxx parts, thinking I would have this back together yesterday. I guess I need a fourth truck 🤣. I don't plan on beating on the LMT.

I should be used to this goofy stuff with how much crap I've dealt with in upgrading performance cars. I actually ordered two different servo horns. One should hopefully be here Sunday and the other towards the end of next week.

Size does matter LOL.. ok there are measurements both online and in some manuals try to get them either same size ..now the sweep is another thing 60-90-120 so on unless you have a radio where you can set endpoints dont go over sweep amount from original 1.
never be in a rush with rc cuzz it will bite you in the end ,,,,

I was so tempted to run it as it is. But I've learned the hard way too many times about running things half assed. Plus I was extremely annoyed and disappointed with everything. Both with arrma and myself, mainly for not doing more research. Plus opted for cheaper shipping on the xmaxx parts, thinking I would have this back together yesterday. I guess I need a fourth truck 🤣. I don't plan on beating on the LMT.

I should be used to this goofy stuff with how much crap I've dealt with in upgrading performance cars. I actually ordered two different servo horns. One should hopefully be here Sunday and the other towards the end of next week.
Theres are some reasons we all own a gazillion kits. This is one of them lol

Admittedly a lot of is just addiction though 🤣

Size does matter LOL.. ok there are measurements both online and in some manuals try to get them either same size ..now the sweep is another thing 60-90-120 so on unless you have a radio where you can set endpoints dont go over sweep amount from original 1.
never be in a rush with rc cuzz it will bite you in the end ,,,,

The included DX3 radio has an endpoint function that seems relatively easy to use.

Theres are some reasons we all own a gazillion kits. This is one of them lol

Admittedly a lot of is just addiction though 🤣

I would definitely lean addiction 🤣

The included DX3 radio has an endpoint function that seems relatively easy to use.

I would definitely lean addiction 🤣
It's a addition of love and hate relationship with all the RCs...🤣🤣
But the love and addiction of lookingbthrew parts and wrenching is reall😍😍😉👍🤣🤣🤣🤣

I hear ya for sure and have lost interest more and more with Arrma unfortunately. Ever since the sale to Horizon and all the Spekteum garbage in everything its been nothing but disappointing. It's hard to say as I've been extremely brand loyal to Arrma considering out of the 9 RCs I have 7 are Arrmas but I think after I pick up a Mojave EXB it will be my last possibly. Just released today was two new Arrma rigs and both are IMO a huge disappointment. Really sucks to have not been happy or excited about a newly released rig since the Mojave EXB. Also many of us are extremely frustrated that the 4s line has still not been released and was quoted to be out this spring. But they can create and release 3 completely new models this year and yet here we are still waiting for the spring 2021 releases that never came. Also parts supply is getting worse and worse but yet again they can create and release 3 new car models but can't get parts produced and out... As I said I hate to say it but Arrma has lost my interest since last year and all the new releases are less than interesting to me.

I hear ya for sure and have lost interest more and more with Arrma unfortunately. Ever since the sale to Horizon and all the Spekteum garbage in everything its been nothing but disappointing. It's hard to say as I've been extremely brand loyal to Arrma considering out of the 9 RCs I have 7 are Arrmas but I think after I pick up a Mojave EXB it will be my last possibly. Just released today was two new Arrma rigs and both are IMO a huge disappointment. Really sucks to have not been happy or excited about a newly released rig since the Mojave EXB. Also many of us are extremely frustrated that the 4s line has still not been released and was quoted to be out this spring. But they can create and release 3 completely new models this year and yet here we are still waiting for the spring 2021 releases that never came. Also parts supply is getting worse and worse but yet again they can create and release 3 new car models but can't get parts produced and out... As I said I hate to say it but Arrma has lost my interest since last year and all the new releases are less than interesting to me.

Not that I'm super familiar with arrma, but I'm familiar with the troubles the past year and half has presented for many companies. We're all navigating a new and weird landscape with many hurdles. That being said, I think they're pushing to bring more people into the hobby with an array of different rigs. I've only been in the hobby for a short period of time, but I can say arrma seem to present the most exciting rigs.

Most everyone presents the "safe" products. Even though the servo took a poop in 10min, I knew that stock electronics on any of these cars is a crap shoot. Which yea, is annoying. But this truck is bad ass and presents a very fun driving experience. I still 100% plan on getting a kraton 8s and a Mojave now. Don't give up yet but I can understand the irritation. I saw the new releases today too. Which didn't really matter to me, since those rigs don't appeal to me.

Not that I'm super familiar with arrma, but I'm familiar with the troubles the past year and half has presented for many companies. We're all navigating a new and weird landscape with many hurdles. That being said, I think they're pushing to bring more people into the hobby with an array of different rigs. I've only been in the hobby for a short period of time, but I can say arrma seem to present the most exciting rigs.

Most everyone presents the "safe" products. Even though the servo took a poop in 10min, I knew that stock electronics on any of these cars is a crap shoot. Which yea, is annoying. But this truck is bad ass and presents a very fun driving experience. I still 100% plan on getting a kraton 8s and a Mojave now. Don't give up yet but I can understand the irritation. I saw the new releases today too. Which didn't really matter to me, since those rigs don't appeal to me.
I agree with ya and absolutely love my rigs but also they are all older models. Last model I bought was released over a year ago and IMO was one of the last versions that actually were improved. Don't get me wrong the new rigs look great but to me that's as far as my interest goes. The fact they released the Infraction mini as brushed car makes absolutely no sense at all. There is enough issues with the brushed motors and ESC's in the offroad cars with light use and they think it's a good idea to have an onroad drift car with a brushed setup🤦 I've literally seen posts about people having to replace the brushed motor 6 times with light offroad use in the current brushed cars. Now they think a brushed drift car that will be driven at 80-100% throttle 90% of the pack will last and is a good idea? It's going to be nothing but disappointment for people as the ESC's and motors will be toast after maybe 2-3 uses if not the first use.
The other new car is supposed to be a speed run car and the system they chose again makes zero sense to be used. It's a 1/8 scale with a 3900kv motor and a 100A ESC... even the 3s cars now with the 3200kv motors and 100A ESC's overheat and the electronics cook so why up the kv which will just cause more heat and harder Amp draw on the ESC. Should have lowered the kv to ≈2400kv with a 130A esc that would be 4s capable and run cooler with less stress to the electronics. Also they put a cross between the brushed and brushless plastic spur/slipper assembly which the design is horrible and another common issue already. To me both are warranty claims on wheels and unfortunately I feel will disappoint and turn more people away from the hobby. Frustrating they take absolutely no common issues and problems into consideration and in a sense sell cars your guaranteed to have issues with immediately and have to dump more money into them. The sale to Horizon and addition of spektrum electronics was the worst thing that happened to Arrma. Also since customer suggestions and common problems have not been addressed at all like they were before the sale to HH. Sucks I've been die hard brand loyal for almost the last 2 years and half of that has been one disappointment after another pushing me further away.

All RC manufacturers are taking a hit with delivery issues. Kyosho basically seemed to go offline for about a year. I talk to a guy all the time that works for WPL. When the virus first broke out he was away from work visiting his folks. He ended up in a quarantine zone and couldn't go back to work if he wanted to. He was basically holed up in a hotel room for a few months. He used to share pics of all the Chinese takeout bowls he had accumulated. Imagine being cooped up in a hotel room, unable to leave it for a few months. They seem to just be getting back to normal.

That would really suck. I can't hardly handle one night in a hotel.

Back