Odd question, but which truck for this motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldcrew

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an RC10T4 that I threw a castle creations sidewinder (cm-36, 5700 KV 540 can, and sidewinder esc) years ago. Every time I've had it running something, something strips or breaks (diff, wheels, dog bones) within a few battery packs worth of runs. With it being discontinued its been a pain to find parts and they're expensive. I was looking into a new model truck or buggy that can be picked up cheap and make good use of this combo, with parts readily available.

I don't race, or have any intention to, it would just be used to bash around the yard and the street. Price is my main concern.

I was looking at the 1/16th e revo or the rustler with the idea that I could buy the cheap version and swap in my brushless system since these were designed to handle more power (vxl versions). I understand these are different vehicles but I would have fun with either, just don't want to end up with something that's top heavy or overheats the motor, or is will strip parts within 15 minutes of running it. I'm open to other suggestions as long as they're not street only vehicles. What do you guys think?

Thanks and advance for the advice.

Would probably work ok in something like the traxxas rustler 2wd or a slash 2wd. Will likely be able to get parts for either for another decade.

The 1/16 Traxxas stuff is set up to run 380-sized motors. On 3s they will break and melt drive line parts.

Even a stampede 2wd would handle that. Parts are the same a s a rustler or slash 2wd. I have an original rustler and a slash 2wd. My brother in law brought his broken stampede over during the 4th and I used my spare parts to fix his quickly. Love traxxas for that part interchangeably

Have you tried loosening your slipper clutch or adjust the "punch" on your ESC? I have seen the older RC10s run without issues with a brushless system. Only once have I seen the gearbox strip out and that was fixed by utilizing the slipper clutch and lowering the acceleration punch on the ESC. I have one in my daughters XXXT and it works great.

A pede(stampede) or even a slash will not handle that high a kv motor without some upgrades...id go ith a rpm trans case..to start. then some good cvds or steel axels,,,this motor will not handle 3 cells thats just pulled outa the air by another poster.(I never know why this is done).. anyway 2 cells is max I and many others have the 3 cell 3200kv or less kv kinda like our own law... sure I have high kv motors in drag cars run less that 2 seconds down turn around and run back thats it..

Sorry, I didn't notice you were running with a 3s. That is a bit too much for a race spec RC vehicle. Race spec vehicles are designed for low friction and light weight. Buy a 1/8 scale truggy/buggy and you'll be set. those are designed for that kind of heat. In some of those, your system would be considered a little on the weak side.

Thanks for all the replies!

Just to clarify, the brushless motor/esc combo I have will NOT handle a 3s. 2s is the max. that is all that I have run on my RC10T4RS. (thanks for clairifying tntproof)

In all honesty I haven't messed with the T4 since I was 17 years old. 11 years later I'm cleaning out my closet and dusting off old hobbies to combat quarantine boredom. I worked a lot and didn't have many expenses at that time so I bought premium parts and didn't spend a lot of time really tuning things. Things have changed with time and I'm more patient, frugal and handy. Maybe the T4 will handle the power. So far I've bought a ball diff rebuild kit for $50, then discovered the left rear wheel was stripped. A hex conversion, and new wheels/tires is another $50. The dog bones have too much play in them (don't appear to be missing parts, but ride up in the diff til they slip out of the rear axle.) and the only place to buy MIP CVD's is ebay, where they go for $100. So for $200, I can have an 11 year old truck with hard to find parts. My thought was take the upgraded motor and esc and put them in a current $150 car, and have a more modern car with support. If the T4 would be a better truck in the end, I'll spend the money as I already upgraded many other parts on this truck during my spendy youth (titanium turnbuckles, carbon fiber chassis, RPM control arms, etc). If I can buy a cheap current model that will hold its own against the T4, and be able to buy parts to upgrade or maintain without spending hours browsing ebay I'll do that. Ultimately I was hoping to get a budget brushed model of a well rounded buggy / truck / monster truck and install the motor ESC I already have to reproduce the premiums burshless model of that car. I you all think the T4 is worth the money, I'll go that route. If not Ill go with what suits the combo I have the best unless I learn its not worth the hassle to try to find the perfect fit for the combo I have and I'll buy an RTR to scratch the RC itch.

If I would spend less ditching the combo I have and buying an RTR version of a brushless "premium model" let me know. If I could take this combo and throw it in a cheap but done budget model and make a fast basher let me know. If the T4 would handle better than the basher but still be bashable, and you all think I'll be able to the the most breakable parts next year, let me know .

A pede(stampede) or even a slash will not handle that high a kv motor without some upgrades...id go ith a rpm trans case..to start. then some good cvds or steel axels,,,this motor will not handle 3 cells thats just pulled outa the air by another poster.(I never know why this is done).. anyway 2 cells is max I and many others have the 3 cell 3200kv or less kv kinda like our own law... sure I have high kv motors in drag cars run less that 2 seconds down turn around and run back thats it..
According to Castle, 3s is the max for the motor, FYI.

Back