o.s. engine sticking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_dign

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK, I was going to post this in my clutch problem thread, but figured nobody would look at it. I finaly got the bell housing lined up and everything with the clutch right. Went to start the buggy, and the engine keeps getting stuck while the piston is at TDC. I was told that this engine has a new piston and sleeve. I proceeded to pull the cooling head off the engine to see what was going on. The piston is getting stuck in the sleeve at TDC to the point where it is actualy pushing the sleeve up a little. Trying to start this engine with a bump box. If anyone has ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. I have been working on this thing forever !!! Thanks to all.:bow::bow:

New engines do tend to stick at TDC. It's because they have alot of pinch between piston and sleeve. Once you get it started the first time, it'll start easily. If it's REALLY hard, you could try preheating it with a heat gun to expand the sleeve a little.

You might be getting hydrolocked from a flooded engine. You could try leaning the HSN 1/8 turn.

Heat it up first, if you don't have a heat gun or a hair dryer you can try loosening the glow plug maybe half a turn and just let the flywheel spin on the box for a while. Make sure the bump box is spinning before you engage the flywheel and down push down really hard on the buggy, let the box do it's job. If you "lap" the mill for while it will put some heat into and help with starting. If turning it over that way works, keep it spinning and grab your glow wrench and tighten the plug up and then grab you ignitor all the while keeping the mill engaged and spinning on the box. Also make sure your batts are fully charged

Might also be easier just to start it with the glow plug about 1/2 turn from tight. Once it's running, take off the heater and tighten it up with a wrench.

Thanks guys. I realy appreciate the help, nothing but the best here!!