noob Needs help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nybrit

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys and girls love the forums just found them and i am enjoying the advise here

I'm new to this so plz forgive me if i sound stupid or am asking somthing that has already been posted a million time's

my question: is it possible to build your own nitro car from scrach up without buying a kit . I'm sure all the parts are out there but where would i get the plans for such a vencher .

my budget will not allow me to buy all the parts i need in one go .
so i would need to buy bit by bit and build as i go along ( which i think is half the fun ) i like the idea of building a on road touring car but dont know where to start what should i do first .

hope someone can help and thanks in advance to any that can

Welcome to RCNT!

be prepaired to spend many times more than getting a kit. For example, I want a new racing clutch for my GT4, a new 2 speed, solid diff, aluminum radio posts and bulkhead. For all of these, I will be out almost 300. A new kit with the clutch and 2 speed and everything else and then some, except for the engine and electronics will cost me 300. Now, if I were to get the kit, I would be saving hundreds of dollars because I would not only get the parts I want, but I will have a lot of other hop ups, and a bunch of spare parts too.

I say save up. not only will you save money, you will also be able to start building right away.

If you really want to build the car by buying parts at a time, you will need to get the instruction manual for building it. Go to the manufacturer website of the car you want to build and download the manual for the car. Most should have them available online.

Thank you and H i mjime714
you advise is very welcom and i think i need to spend a little more time looking in to this to find the best way of building my dream car .

also can anyone tell me what the best beginner on road touring car to get i really dont wanna buy a car that is not going to be easy to hop up . thanks

mjime714 summed it up perfectly. It will cost far more to do it that way. What you could do is buy a kit that does not come with a engine, radio or electronics. You could split up your cost a little this way. Then while you are building the kit you can save for the next item, be it a radio and servos or an engine. But to answer your question directly, yes you can build a car from the ground up.

As far as a beginner car you might want to look into a NTC3 or HPI RS4 3 SS. Both of these cars have quite a bit of aftermarket support, and can easily be hopped up. Check to see which manufacturers your local hobby shop stocks parts for. Nothing sucks more than not being able to run because you are waiting on a $5 part to be ordered from you lhs or on line retailer

BTW Welcome to RCNT :cheers:

I agree with NC. The NTC3 and HPI RS4 3 SS are both great kits. the SS will be a little cheaper because it does come with an engine.

Both have a lot of advanced hop ups so you can go from a parking lot basher to a full on race track junkie.

Although I do like the SS, the NTC3 is more popular for competition racing, but both are very good and can be made very fast.

nybrit - here is my .02

I can relate to your question, since i once thought the same thing. I used to be heavily involved with RC aircraft, and after my knowlege had expanded, nothing created more satisfaction than designing and building my own scratchbuilt airplane. Unfortunatly, rc nitro cars are not built out of balsa :sorry:
So i did the next best thing. I purchased an NTC3 kit by AE. Not only is it one of the best kits out there, but I got to build it too ( no RTR for me )
Along the way - I added my own hop ups, carbon fiber here, aluminium there, and by doing this, i was able to semi-customize the kit as i put it together. Now i have a personel kit, was able to chose a personal engine choice, and pick out a body that i liked for the car. Good luck! I hope u catch the fever, just as i have! :D

I think the boys summed it up perfectly. It's a fairly expensive hobby, so I am always saving for something. I would save your $$$ and buy a good kit. The NTC3 is wildly popular as is the HPI RS4 SS. You can also check out the Trinity Reflex(nitro of course). It will come down to your preference(shaft or belt) and what you will use it for most (parking lot or track). Whatever you decide, be prepared to get addicted. Welcome to RCNT

HeHe - nitrodave, i just noticed you changed nametag....

Donkeyclown!!!!! lol :OT:

Thank all you guys for your help and advice I'm going to look into the ntc3 and rs4 3 ss and go from there i think thanks

Originally posted by nitronewbie
HeHe - nitrodave, i just noticed you changed nametag....

Donkeyclown!!!!! lol :OT:

yeah thats me

o i dont even have a car yet and I'm addicted i spend most of my time reading up and serchin the web trying to find good advice before i go out and spend my cash i dont wanna buy a toy if you know what i mean but thank you for your help guys you have been really cool thanks

I kinda wanted to do the same thing but take it to another level. I know this would cost dough but I want to make my own cad designs in autocad and find a company that can make the parts outta nylon from my cad designs. I would probably have to order like 200-300 of each piece for any company to do it though but it would be fun.

nybrit, good luck on your car. If you bought a car piece by piece you wouldn't be able to run it until you bought all the pieces right? Therefore, what's the difference if you take the same money you'd buy your pieces with and just stashed it in a shoe box? In the long run, you'd be able to run your car sooner because it costs less to buy it all at once.

Also welcome to RCNT. ;)

PS buying a "kit" will give you the same satisfaction of putting it torether yourself.

Ok i see your point you guys have put me right and on the right track I'm going to get a kit and not start from scrach . but i would like to pick your brains a little so here go's

1. what car is best NTC3
or RS4 3 type ss

side or rear ex ?
and what would a good prise be for one of these kits

2. what is a good engine i see different once like .15 .16 .12 ? which one is faster what do the numbers stand for ..

3 . is there a site or 2 on the web you guys know of where i can get info ? :doh:

Last edited:
The TC3 won the 1/10 touring car World Championship last year so go with the TC3. I had the HPI and they are fun but not competition. HPI is coming out with the Nitro R4 which is a race quality 1/10 touring car so I would wait if you wanna go HPI.

The NTC3 comes bare bones without an engine or transmitter, or anything, that would make it as close to scratch built as u can get. The HPI is good, but not great. It is not really in the same league as the NTC3. I would strongly recommend a .12 engine, as it is the only size that is legal to race with. There are many good engines out there, but for the money, you really can't go wrong with OS brand. If you are just starting out, you can go with the OS .12cv or cv-x (pull-start) . That engine is less than a 100.00. If you have a lil more to spend the OS.12 cv-r is a very powerful race engine.
- The numbers stand for engine displacement (size)
- Check out this website www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&c=GCS&V=OSM for the OS engines
- Check this website for general info www.towerhobbies.com

thanks for the advise nitronewbie humboldtblazer looks like I'm getting the tc3 kit . whats a good mid rage radio and what should i look for in a radio :smart:

nybrit - for a radio - it is good to get something that you can grow into. some of the features that are manditory would be: End point adjustments, servo reversing, and dual rate steering. A high torque steering servo is good also, as it prevents bump steer. I use a Hitec Lynx 3D FM here is link to it: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&C=JCB&V=HRC
It might be a little pricey or advanced for a first time user, but i think its the best radio out there for the money. Another good radio albeit less advanced is the Airtronics MX3 - it has all of the features i mentioned before. Look into some of the cheaper synthesized radios also. They allow you to use every channel by the turn of a dial. Good if u race or bash with alot of people. Thats about it.

JR XR3i here its great all FM digital, a 3 model memory, and all the bells and whistles. It even has a lap counter. You can find the whole setup for like $150 new and it comes with servos and one is a metal geared hi torque steering servo.

hey guy thanks for all the help i know what car i want now (ntc3) i have an idea of what i need for the radio . now what is the best priced ,good .12 engin and what are you guys useing if you dont mind me asking is the ntc3 limited to one type of enginor are there kits to make anyone fit ? sorry if i sound dumb or anything but I'm still finding my way alittle