Non Working Idle Screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KbigO69

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so my idle screw quit working quite a while back and i was told by most that it was a airleak. well i found the air leak sealed it up good and still my idle screw doesn't work. It sucks because i can't fine adjust my idle without it. any help will be appreciated

What engine? I'd say replace the carb and be done with it.

Are you saying the screw is missing or the engine doesn't respond to adjustments?

If it's not responding, the lsn is off or the throttle trim,linkage or servo isn't set right.

FR.15 if that helps any. the idle screw is there just no response from the engine. i have adjusted the lsn and tinkered with the linkage and i can't get it to change.

So look down the barrel of the carb while you move the slide in and out with the idle screw backed out. Does it close all the way? Is there a blockage or something forbidding it to throttle down?

Did you pull the air filter and verify the throttle operation/position? If that's really all set right then ,you most likely have the lsn too lean. I had this same problem on my Traxxas .15

ok when ya say adjust it while holding the brake how do i do that? i thought i knew what ya meant when ya say that but evidently not lol. so i turn everything on turn the tx on 0 or close enough to it then hold the brake and unscrew and screw in the nut until i get it adjusted right

Don't start the engine.
Turn on the radio and the Rx.
Turn the trim knob all the way down.
Take off the air cleaner so you can look into the carb neck.
Push the Tx trigger forward to total brake.
Adjust the idle screw while looking at the carb opening.
CarbNeck.jpg

That should get you in the ball park. Fine tune the setting with the engine running and the air filter back in place.

Last edited:
ok about the lsn how do i reset it so i know where I'm at on my lean and rich. because my mt has ran fine besides the idle problem but yesterday i changed out the glowplug and noticed it was leaned out and i know it wasn't the hsn cuz i had tons of smoke coming out. any help

For a quick check, warm up the engine and then pinch the fuel line. It should speed up and quit between 3 and 4 seconds. Less than that, you're too lean. More, and you're running too rich on the LSN.

hey guys i got a prob. i have black gunk coming out of the engine behind my flywheel. it almost looks like thick oil. I'm thinking i have cracked a bearing if there is one back there? is this a big prob? my mt has ran just fine temp has been perfect and everything.

Back