Non slipper spur

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroAidy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've just bought myself a rolling chassis savage and I've been trying to find out about the slipper. Basically i wanna use the truck for wheelies and just messing around so will a non slipper spur make it wheelie easier or would i be asking for trouble fitting one.. I've got a team infinity 27 motor to put in it. I've been running it in my moster pirate and it pulls really well but i don't think the pirate was designed for wheelies. Also whats the best spur gear/clutch bell set up to have for optimal wheelies..?? I'm not fussed about top speed i just want acceleration.

I am curious to see some responses to this question. I am not one of the experts to be sure but it seems to me that your truck would take off as soon as you start it if it didn't have a slipper...

Let's see what they have to say. Good luck!

The slipper has nothing to do with it taking off as soon as you start it, thats what a clutch is for. You could always just tighten the slipper nut adjustment as tight as you can get it, but one bad landing while being on the throttle can damage tranny gears. Just gear it for low end, something like a 15 tooth clutch bell, and a 52 tooth spur, add a three shoe clutch, and maybe the hpi ribbed pipe which makes a ton of low end power, and it should wheelie all day.

The slipper has nothing to do with it taking off as soon as you start it, thats what a clutch is for. You could always just tighten the slipper nut adjustment as tight as you can get it, but one bad landing while being on the throttle can damage tranny gears. Just gear it for low end, something like a 15 tooth clutch bell, and a 52 tooth spur, add a three shoe clutch, and maybe the hpi ribbed pipe which makes a ton of low end power, and it should wheelie all day.

I knew about the clutch... So the slipper just lets the tranny slip a little bit? Just curious, my LST slipped too much till I tightened it up.

tighten your slipper all the way, instal X SS diffs, pull out the front driveshafts put three spacers in each rear spring.

enjoy doing backflips.

I had a non-slipper spur in a Nitro Sport, it was hell on drive lines.

For wheelies, the .27 engine alone should be good, but 15/52 gears and a stiff suspension could make it very hard not to wheely.

I knew about the clutch... So the slipper just lets the tranny slip a little bit? Just curious, my LST slipped too much till I tightened it up.

Basically, yes. It acts as a buffer to absorb some of the forces when jumping. When landing the tires are trying to be forced to slow down while the engine/trans tries to keep them going. The slipper takes some that stress off the gears/drivelines. Also helps for sudden changes in traction such as going from dirt to asphalt.

Thanks for all the replies guys,some nice little tricks for me to try.As for the spur/clutch setup, i do actually have a 15t vented racing bell on the engine but the spur that came with the savage is a 52t but in plastic. Will a racing bell be o.k with the plastic spur or will i need to upgrade to a steel spur..? The mesh looks pretty sweet but i don't wanna shred the spur or anything..

I had a non-slipper spur in a Nitro Sport, it was hell on drive lines.

For wheelies, the .27 engine alone should be good, but 15/52 gears and a stiff suspension could make it very hard not to wheely.

Basically, yes. It acts as a buffer to absorb some of the forces when jumping. When landing the tires are trying to be forced to slow down while the engine/trans tries to keep them going. The slipper takes some that stress off the gears/drivelines. Also helps for sudden changes in traction such as going from dirt to asphalt.

Got ya! Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies guys,some nice little tricks for me to try.As for the spur/clutch setup, i do actually have a 15t vented racing bell on the engine but the spur that came with the savage is a 52t but in plastic. Will a racing bell be o.k with the plastic spur or will i need to upgrade to a steel spur..? The mesh looks pretty sweet but i don't wanna shred the spur or anything..

the plastic spur is fine. be careful with those vented clutch bells. i snapped one with an OS .30

I found that all I had to do was put in an extra spacer on the rear springs to do wheelies all day. I think I was running a 52t spur though.

Thanks again for all your replies. I actually fitted the engine last night but had some issues with the engine sitting too far forward that it was rubbing on the spur. Luckily my mate had a spare 47t steel spur so we put that on. Were gonne give it a test tonght so i'll let you all know how we get on..cheers again though guys, your help is much appreciated.

Back