No Love for the Hot Bodies Lightning Pro 2??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthRacer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Damn. I can't find any info or forum threads anywhere about this buggy except for the review RC Driver did a few months back and Hot Bodies website. I am interested in getting this buggy but I'm curious as to why it seems no one owns one. All the buzz seems to be surrounding the Lighting Stadium these days.

Before any one asks, If I was to get one it would be mostly a basher buggy that gets raced on occasion.

I Think it would suit you well. Seems to be a pretty nice buggy, I wouldnt buy one though because I really just stick with Mugen, Kyosho and OFNA. Good luck on your search man!

if you scroll down further into these threads ,you wil find there are a few and 1 great thread also on the lighting pro 2 even with great videos, flying over houses and so ( and doesn't break)

it's a good car , looks good, especialy the suspensions well finished, to HPI standards and very robust, except perhaps the upper front suspension, could be a bit weak if really handled very rough
is made to modern standards like big suspension travels, small transmissions to lower CG , 3 brake discs, very good overall behavior
is a under rated car
and cheap for the performances and strenght
hope this was of some help for you
ps. the mayhem is a very nice car also, look into that one too perhaps

Last edited:
Hi I've had 3 lightn ing2s and a lightning2pro now.. And i love em.
The only bit of advice that i could give you is that you may end up spending a great deal of money on a pro cos they come as just the kit and you have to buy the radio and engine.. So for somthing to bash about and race occasionally you will end up spending packet.
If i was you i would go for the Lightning2rtr which comes ready to run with engie and radio.. The only thing you might have to do is change the enine at some point if you want to race because alot of place will not let you use the Force 26 enigne in a buggy which is the engine that comes standard with the lightning2rtr, The normally say that you can only race with a 21 sized engine.

But this way you will be getting better value for money and remember all the parts are interchangable from the Pro to the lightning2 so you can always upgrade it to pro spec as you go along..
I hope this is of some help..
Cheers Andy

I have a Pro2 and love it, I have had quite a few people at my club say how impressed they are with it. It handles like a dream with only a couple of minor adjustments from the box. In the UK it is the cheapest "pro" spec car by a long way, before I had this i had a Storm Pro and there is no comparison, the Lightning is waaaaaayyy better INMO.

The only weak points I have found are the rear shock shafts (they broke) and I switched them out for Mugen MBXones. In the UK a standard pro2 was regularly placed in the top 3 in the national series. In 6 months of racing mine I broke 2 shock shafts and 1 upper wishbone.

But as someone else has said if you are just bashing get the "RR" version for about the same cost and replace the engine at some point in the future. The differences between the two are minimal for bashing but if you want to race it you'll probably want to do the hop-ups. (and change to a .21 size engine)

Personally I would recommend it to anyone but make sure (like any buggy) you can get spares if you need 'em

I just picked up a Lightning 2 Pro and i am totally satisfied with my purchase. This is my first buggy so i can't compare it to other buggys. For the price it is almost a no brainer. If you are on a budget (like me) but still want a competitive racer i think that this is a good choice.

You can find these for great prices,I would have got one but no one carries any parts for them around here.

Cool. Thanks, this helps a lot.
I have two engines ready for it. The Nitro Star 25 from my Savage, and a .21 Hyper 8 port. Plus, I have all the necessary radio gear so spending the $$ on the Pro is not that big a deal for me. Plus I love building kits and I try to avoid the RTRs as much as I can. It's just a personal preference.

It's nice to hear that it handles well and is durable, the two things I am most interested in. We'll see how it compares to the GS Storm ARR I had.

It's not really a lack of love for the buggy, but more of a lack of love for the company. A couple of years ago we had a few guys with the original Lightning buggies. The main problems were 1.) getting any sort of support from the company is next to impossible and 2) they seem to have a real hard time getting parts to the US consistently. If you dug you could find parts from various places, but most of the time you had to go outside of you LHS to do it. I don't know if things have improved, but I have a feeling like anyone else who stood at the sidelines and saw people selling their lightning buggies, the RC racing folks are just a little shell shocked by the Lightning and the Hot Bodies company. That's how I see it anyway.

Thats funny I'm gonna start out with my nitro star from my savage too. Once I'm good with that engine, ill bump it to a good .21 and start racing.

As far as parts go, I'd have a harder time getting Mugen and Kyosho parts since the LHS(s) in my area only stock Ofna parts.

Is it true that a bunch of Inferno parts can be used as direct replacements on the Lightning?

yes many parts of kyosho will fit
I guess the differentials, servosaver or outdrives and so on

Last edited:
i had one, it was my first buggy. it did not suit me very well. it was tough never broke, well the servo saver broke and i put a K2 on there fit very nicely. i sold it and got a mugen, better from the start.

Back