Nitro truck recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsipes

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

I'm new to the nitro RC world. I've driven electric the past 7 years and figured it's time for a change. I've done several hours of research so I know the basics. I'm looking to get either the HPI Savage X 4.6 or the HPI Bullet 3.0. (I'll be using whatever I get primarily for bashing) Main questions:

1) Are these good models for a new guy?
2) Lifespan of these engines?

Any help y'all can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The Savage X 4.6 is a great truck. A lot of the members that have them really love them. They're tough as nails out of the box and the 4.6 is the most reliable engine for the Savage, IMO. If properly broken in and cared for, a nitro engine can last through several gallons. I had 3.3 with great compression that I sold used with over 4 gallons on it.

I haven't heard a lot about the Bullet, but if it were me, I'd go with the Savage.

I would go with the Savage. Its the best kit HPI makes and the Bullet....not so much. The stock savage engine isnt anything to brag about but it does its job well and can last quite a long time if proper care is given to it.

I would also choose the Savage out of those choices, I also like a Revo. The life of a nitro engine depends on you, if it's your first nitro I wouldn't expect to get a long life out of it......that's a learning curve for everyone new to nitro!

There's a lot of great info in the stickies at the top of this section, read through it and have patience.....Goid luck and have fun!

I agree with the others on the Savage. I myself prefer the kit version over the RTR, you get a few upgrade(I think) that is not in the RTR, plus when you build it you get a better understanding on how everything works together and when you break something(and you will) you will know how you go about fixing it.

Savage. Easy to work on and tough as nails.

Cool, thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'm getting the Savage! Now it's just a matter of waiting till I can afford it haha

I don't know what budget that you have, but have you looked at Tower Hobbies(I know that a few people don't like them). They have an easy pay that splits the price over three payments, it don't hurt the wallet too much at once that way.. That is how I got my Savage, radio and servos.

That might be a good idea roger, I'll look into that. Pretty much I'm a poor college student, but I'm just about to graduate so hopefully I'll have some grad money coming in. Wanted to by myself something kick ass like the Savage.