Nitro starter box wheel worn!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn123c

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
HI, there
I recently brought a nitro starter box and the rubber wheel has got a wear mark in the middle, am I doing anything wrong? is there a problem having a 32mm flywheel as it wouldn't contact as good as 34mm? I'm using the standard flywheel that comes with most RTR models where it's got like a criss-cross pattern, not like the better ones that have the lines across them, would that play a part in the wear?

Many thanks
Martyn

HI, there
I recently brought a nitro starter box and the rubber wheel has got a wear mark in the middle, am I doing anything wrong? is there a problem having a 32mm flywheel as it wouldn't contact as good as 34mm? I'm using the standard flywheel that comes with most RTR models where it's got like a criss-cross pattern, not like the better ones that have the lines across them, would that play a part in the wear?

Many thanks
Martyn

I'm not quite sure ,never ran a bump starter box!
It just could be the nature of the beast in wear ,there maybe a better replacement wheel
out on market ,not sure!

How old is this box? How right is the pinch on the motor. I believe, like most other rubber(or similar) materials running against a metal part, wear is the nature of the beast. Although I have never replaced one, I would bet there are replacements,, perhaps even an upgraded item. I am sure the grip pattern on the flywheel would have effects on the wheel as well.

The flywheel size could be an issue but if you go with a larger one you increase the rotational mass. That makes for a slightly longer time to reach top RPM. Not really a biggie unless you're racing it.
If it's actually contacting the wheel and wearing down the rubber you can loosen the glow plug to let off some of the compression. It should spin much easier and start quickly. When it starts, remove the ignitor and tighten down the glow plug.

How old is this box? How right is the pinch on the motor. I believe, like most other rubber(or similar) materials running against a metal part, wear is the nature of the beast. Although I have never replaced one, I would bet there are replacements,, perhaps even an upgraded item. I am sure the grip pattern on the flywheel would have effects on the wheel as well.
The flywheel size could be an issue but if you go with a larger one you increase the rotational mass. That makes for a slightly longer time to reach top RPM. Not really a biggie unless you're racing it.
If it's actually contacting the wheel and wearing down the rubber you can loosen the glow plug to let off some of the compression. It should spin much easier and start quickly. When it starts, remove the ignitor and tighten down the glow plug.
Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try what you said, literally it starting wearing away almost straight away with my old flywheel, it's got the other types with the lines across now and seems better, I'll try the glow plug trick though too.....many thanks

Good luck with it! Let us know what you did and how it's working!

I also just wanted to wish you good luck with that, and do not forget to come back with an update :)

Last edited:
I second that! Def let us know! We all learn from everyone's experiences here! Hope it's going well for you!:thumbs-up:

Remember you can come back for any other questions you have :)

Back