Nitro Rustler Rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
A couple of weeks ago I bought this nitro Rustler as part of a deal for a boat i liked. I really don't have any desire to keep it but I just can't bring myself to sell it with all the issues it has so I decided to clean/fix it up first. Also figured I haven't done anything of interest here for a while so I am starting this thread to show the highlights of the project.

To start I stripped it down for cleaning and checking. The servo wires were all cut and spliced and the receiver had no housing,just an exposed board. I used my DX2.0 to test them and both servos are dead. I started the clean up and reassembly but need a couple of parts so the project has stalled until parts arrive.

Here are a couple of pics how it started out and of my progress. I'll update more soon.

2yjx4t2.jpg

rhpe6a.jpg

3449mvr.jpg

rr6uli.jpg

24blzcp.jpg

1174gvq.jpg

Good luck man. I love my little Rusty, it's a really fun beater after a few upgrades and is super easy to work on.

UPDATE!!

Here is an update on the rebuild. I delayed in ordering the parts from where i left off. I finally did and I have them installed. Just needed an upper deck(broken bolt in center support) and a battery box with an on/off switch. Ended up with few other items since I bought a parts lot from one of the chop shops on eBay.

200rcbm.jpg

The engine I thought would be good turned out otherwise. It pulled over with good feeling compression but since I plan to sell this,I wanted to check it out. So I disassembled it. First thing I found was the spring missing on the clutch. Then check out the exhaust pic! I removed the header and that screw pin was right there as shown! I also found the front bearing was seized and the rear bearing gunked up. I set this all aside while I debate what I am going to do.

16gd4pu.jpg

2i96lap.jpg

Took the tires to the shop and bead blasted the rims then painted them black. I am sure the paint won't hold up long but it looks better for now.

1670d8p.jpg

oz2mx.jpg

Of course for selling it,it needed a better body. I had this Ram body as spare for my Savage and it didn't cost much when I bought it since it was missing stickers/masks so I decide to use it. I made up my own window masks and threw on a simple paint job. I just don't have the patience for this kind of work and it turned out as my usual 50/50 style of work. That is it looks good from 50ft or going 50mph LOL!! I have a lot of partial sticker sheets accumulated over the years and was able cannibalize enough of them to make it look finished. Now I just need to fix the engine situation then SELL IT!

2e0loj7.jpg

15f4qjm.jpg

34ot5kn.jpg

Looks good man. If you don't have a spare engine, why not sell it as a roller?

Here is mine...
They are easy to work, just a little brittle on the diff, can't go to crazy on bashing, at least mine is that way.

Attachments

• TR002.jpg
    TR002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 185
  • TR001.jpg
    TR001.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 155
Back