Nitro RC Clutch Slipping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superchessmachine

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here.

So I purchased a .18 Nitro RC car 1 year ago and didn't rly have the proper tools to do anything for it and the clutch started slipping really bad a few runs ago. The clutch bell is a complete orange/purplish color. I finally got a tool kit and I was wondering how to fix the issue or if its necessary for a replacement clutch assembly now.

Thanks in advance,
superchessmachine

Last edited:
Some pics would be good, and more info (does it also have a slipper clutch, etc). Welcome in :)

Its a 2 speed clutch bell

Attachments

• rcclutchbell.jpg
    rcclutchbell.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 218
  • rcclutchbell1.jpg
    rcclutchbell1.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 153
Its a 2 speed clutch bell

You dont know what it is until you take it apart for further inspection!
It could be a loose flywheel or a grub screw in the center diff. ,so you would have to remove the engine ,inspect the flywheel
to see if it came loose from crank shaft an inspect clutch shoes as well ,if those check out ok ,then move to your center diff!

It is a good idea to take pics of the break down!...:thumbs-up:

You dont know what it is until you take it apart for further inspection!
It could be a loose flywheel or a grub screw in the center diff. ,so you would have to remove the engine ,inspect the flywheel
to see if it came loose from crank shaft an inspect clutch shoes as well ,if those check out ok ,then move to your center diff!

It is a good idea to take pics of the break down!...:thumbs-up:
Alright! I fixed a hub issue just yesterday so ill take it for a run today to see if its fixed then ill check out the clutch.

Also i have another question. I have a lot of muck on the four engine screws, any ideas to get it out?

Looks like very hot clutch bell, friction issue, most likely the clutch springs are gone or not holding the clutch pads.

Looks like very hot clutch bell, friction issue, most likely the clutch springs are gone or not holding the clutch pads.
So what would my fix here be? Is the clutch bell shot even if i fix the clutch pads? Or do i need a replacement...

So what would my fix here be? Is the clutch bell shot even if i fix the clutch pads? Or do i need a replacement...
Well, after replacing the clutch assembly and if it spin smoothly and no warp, then the clutch bell should be fine.

Alright! I fixed a hub issue just yesterday so ill take it for a run today to see if its fixed then ill check out the clutch.

Also i have another question. I have a lot of muck on the four engine screws, any ideas to get it out?

A wheel slipping will cause the not to run well too ,n make it seem that the clutch is slipping or something going bad
in the transmission ,but ,nito cars require maintenance an cleaning!
If it is a real bad wet gunk all over ,then that is an indicator that you have a bad leaky pipe or your engine isnt tuned
an is running real rich of fuel ,which is blowing out a lot of fuel & oil every where!

A wheel slipping will cause the not to run well too ,n make it seem that the clutch is slipping or something going bad
If it is a real bad wet gunk all over ,then that is an indicator that you have a bad leaky pipe or your engine isnt tuned
an is running real rich of fuel ,which is blowing out a lot of fuel & oil every where!
It was dirty from the break in process where I ran it nasty rich. I have it all cleaned up now and I tightened the exhaust with my new toolkit. I think its just the clutch shoes for now. I will update after taking it apart tommorow! : )

Alright i took off the clutchbell today, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. It was a little dark at some places but it didnt look black or burnt anywhere except the bell ofc. Any advice on how to clean the shoes? Is it ok to submerge them in water and dry and reinstall? Also is it possible that dragging brakes can cause a roasted clutch? Because I did have a brake issue when I was noob. I will post pics of the clutch assembly today.

Note: the clutchbell screw came out really easy, isnt it supposed to be on tight?

Alright i took off the clutchbell today, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. It was a little dark at some places but it didnt look black or burnt anywhere except the bell ofc. Any advice on how to clean the shoes? Is it ok to submerge them in water and dry and reinstall? Also is it possible that dragging brakes can cause a roasted clutch? Because I did have a brake issue when I was noob. I will post pics of the clutch assembly today.

Note: the clutchbell screw came out really easy, isnt it supposed to be on tight?

If your idle speed is too high or when your break engages too early, your clutch pads are still engaged and that will cause the friction.

Make sure that the clutch springs arent protruding pass the shoes groove an making contact on the clutch bell ,
sense you have it apart ,take the inside of the bell an rub it with sandpaper ,also ,make sure that the flywheel is very tight
an not slipping!
Also while it is apart ,maybe it is a good idea to simply replace the shoes & spring or springs if there is more than 2 shoes!...:thumbs-up:

If your idle speed is too high or when your break engages too early, your clutch pads are still engaged and that will cause the friction.
My idle speed was very low it could be the brakes.

Back