Newbie to Nitro and stuck....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffa1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hiya all just introducing myself. I got an FTX Torro for xmas (have wanted a Niteo for years)....however to say this has been frustrating is an understatement.
I can nearly get it to run....when it does run (when off the ground) the wheels spin like mad, I adjust the LSN clockwise 1/8 and then the engine just dies.
I have to say the manual gives basic default settings but the model shop disagree so I am now confused what to do next. The card gap is approx 1mm of space ...any advice would be so welcome!!

Inspect the clutch for a broken or missing spring. Set the low back to factory setting.

Hi will check the clutch. When I set the low to factory I cannot get it to start at all. Have adjusted the carb from almost zero to 2mm gap and still nothing. Only runs if I put fuel directly in to the carb but obviously does afterward running for a few seconds.
The only way to make it idle is to open the low needle to approx 4 full turns and default say should be 2 1/2....

Are you priming the carb when starting? using a fuel filter?

Hi no it doesn't have a fuel filter.....being new to this I thought whatever needed was sold to us( wife bought it for me as a gift)
Priming the carb and fuel is clmkng through all ok

The fuel filter is never included. May be blockage inside the carb restricting fuel flow? why you need a fuel filter. The idle is set at 1.5mm open and set the low 2-1/2 to 3 turns. Don't mess with the high. Leave the ignitor on while running for a while. Make sure the glow plug glows bright orange. I would remove the clutch and try starting. It will be fine. I think you have a broken or missing clutch spring. This causes you to hap problems with starting. You won't get the engine to start if the clutch engages. You won't be able to adjust idle.

Hiya all just introducing myself. I got an FTX Torro for xmas (have wanted a Niteo for years)....however to say this has been frustrating is an understatement.
I can nearly get it to run....when it does run (when off the ground) the wheels spin like mad, I adjust the LSN clockwise 1/8 and then the engine just dies.
I have to say the manual gives basic default settings but the model shop disagree so I am now confused what to do next. The card gap is approx 1mm of space ...any advice would be so welcome!!
I'm also new to nitro have the same car and had the same issue of it revving very high. Turning the LSN clockwise will make the car run leaner and increase the revs. Turn anti clockwise to richen it. It will idle without the wheels spinning. I let it run very rich with fuel coming out the exhaust for 2 tanks. It struggled to pull away on 3rd tank so I turned the LSN clockwise. It's leaner but still idles without wheels spinning and I have been driving it around the garden slowly for 1 tank. Hope this helps. Don't give up with it.

That's what you do.

Welcome to RCT. Definitely don’t give up. Nitro has a steep learning curve but it’s great when you figure out. Stick with it.

This thing is so annoying. At factory LSN of 2 1/2 turns the car will not start tried carb almost closed and open but nothing at all.
It will start at run with LSN approval 4 1/2 turns but wheels are spinning like mad. Try to slow the wheels by knocking back the lsn a fraction at a time and then it stalls.
Have played with the carb which is still around 1m gap and on occasion the car screams and sound like the engine will pop.
I dont know what to do next....the annoying thing three days ago it ran ok and I only played with it as it would stall after being run a 1/4 throttle for a tank.

I would clean out the carb. Remove both needles and inspect for blockage and the fuel nipple inlet.. Use a small pin to clear any blockage in all the holes. This is what happens when a fuel filter isn't used. Crap got inside the carb blocking the holes. When you're done cleaning. set carb back to factory setting leave the low open 3 turns. Put the fuel line back on open the carb up and prime the engine and see if a stream of fuel shoots out? You don't have to put the carb back on engine.

Did you check the clutch spring as suggested. I suspect it's bad or broken?

Hi I feel like an absolute novice at this....I unscrew both HSN and LSN but they wont come out ( I don't think I would be right to pull them out with plyers?) So have screwed them back in.
As for the clutch, no haven't checked yet....the car is brand new and this just feels wrong that it could break ( am I expecting too much?).anyway I have emailed the shop my wife bought if from for their advice etc ( also had servo screws fall out of the car today which also seems really poor).

Sounds like your High Speed needle is closed. Have you closed it down and opened it 2.5 to 3 full turns open? Your Low Speed needle may need to be open 3 to 4 turns from fully seated, to start with. You also may need to turn the engine over at a quick pace to get a cold engine to fire. The needles also have O-Rings to seal them in. These O-Rings will catch inside the tube. Light pulling and wiggling will get the needle out.

I think you mixing up the needle settings somehow? The high should be 4 turns from closed turn out . That's the needle straight up. The low needle is on the side. I bet that is suppose to be 2-1/2 turns from flush outside turn in. I found the best way to find flush outside on low is to use a digital caliper and measure 1/2 turn. Turn low to flush and measure until zero and then turn 2-1/2 turns in and measure the how far it turned in. Use that measurement to set carb low in future. I think you have to open the low more to slow the wheels down?

Last edited:
I think you mixing up the needle settings somehow? The high should be 4 turns from closed turn out . That's the needle straight up. The low needle is on the side. I bet that is suppose to be 2-1/2 turns from flush outside turn in. I found the best way to find flush outside on low is to use a digital caliper and measure 1/2 turn. Turn low to flush and measure until zero and then turn 2-1/2 turns in and measure the how far it turned in. Use that measurement to set carb low in future. I think you have to open the low more to slow the wheels down?
Ahhhh....on the low side I have been measuring the 2-1/2 turns from when it is fully closed ( i.e. would be running as lean as pos) i have then re-opened by 2-1/2 turns. This is where i think i could be going wrong!!!
Will have a play tomorrow. Thank you.

I thought so!!!!! The high is always from closed and the low is from start flush in. That would explain the wheels spinning and not stopping. If the low was even close the engine would start and run and stop. Then you would have adjusted the idle up 1/2 turn as I suggested and engine would run. I hope you didn't damage the LSN by turning all the way in? That can happen.

Back