newbie questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprint410

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
is a brushless motor faster than a brushed motor? if so, can someone explain the difference to me? does the type of battery you choose affect the speed your motor puts out?

well my slash came with a 12turn brushed motor and a 8.4volt nimh battery... (i id about 25mph with stock gearing and no wheelies) well i turned it over to brushless witch was like $200 for the set up and its a 10turn motor (the lower turn numbr the higher speed. the higher turn the more tork) an a 11.1volt lipo battery (verry high voltage batterys) and if you dnt have the right charger and stuff the battery can blow up... oh and when yo go to get a ipo u have a choice of a 2cell and a 3cell lipo... (3cell makes the car haul @$$!!!) my slash did abot 25 stock... now i have a traxxas brushless system and a 11.1V lipo and it does a easy 60+mph and wheelies on demand :)

Brushless is no doubt better in every way. It is faster, more power, more battery options, and less maintenance. The only disadvantage is the initial cost; however it is worth every penny. As mentioned above, the power is way more. If you race, I'd say go brushless in combination with a 2 Cell lipo. It will be much more controllable. I own some 3 Cell lipos, and they are fun, but on a track with a 2WD truck...well it's not controllable; assuming you're running stock setup and tires. However, if you get it set up well, and a good set of tires, you will actually be able to put that power to the ground. Overall, definitely consider going brushless as soon as possible; you won't regret it. ;)

Brushed motors are fast too, but they need a lot of work in maintenance & tuning knowhow.

Any if the oldeskool motor tuners can build you a brushed motor that is as fast as
anything else out there, but they will need rebuilding after every run like a Top Fuel engine.