Newbie/Old schooler: Receiver antenna on 2.4ghz???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So I got an SC10 RTR and removed the receiver housing ( I don't drive in water). Now I'm confused on the antenna. Back in the day it stuck out of the top of the buggy in a huge antenna tube. The tube on the receiver box had a short tube but without it, no place to attach it. Now, what is the issue with antennas and 2.4ghz? I don't see pros even having an antenna. I'm assuming the pro gear has a built in antennas on the receiver that are just simply better? Is the low quality radio/receiver the reason for a longer antenna?

So, does the antenna NEED to stick straight up or can it lay flat or wrap round the receiver wires? Does the quality of the receiver and radio effect this? I ordered a little piece of plastic to hold the tube under the body so I don't mind it sticking up but just wondering what the deal with 2.4 is....we didn't have that back in the day.

All of mine just flop around without a tube. Perfectly normal. If anything, secure it with tape or something so it don't break.

All of mine just flop around without a tube. Perfectly normal. If anything, secure it with tape or something so it don't break.
So laying down doesn't affect the range between the receiver and radio?

I use Spektrum transmitter and receiver and don't have any issues. There will be differences depending on what systems are used. I run 3 crawlers, 2 Stampedes, a Arrma Typhon, kyosho Mad Crusher nitro, and my baja 5b 1/5 scale gas and the only one I have a tube on is the b5.

The best way to do it is take your rig out and do a range test. Have somebody stay with the vehicle with the wheels off the ground and you walk with your radio until you lose signal.