New XSS 4.6, transmission problems.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntonR

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I built my savage about a week or so ago and broke it in and everything runs fines except for the transmission, the engine sounds beautiful runs at normal temps and ect.. but my transmission just doesn't want to switch into second..

I've tried everything possible in my book and what it says in the manual to help.. tried to lower and higher the transmission times in small adjustments, ect ect.. I've tried everything the manual suggests.. but still it just doesn't seem to want to switch..

At first I thought maybe I put something together wrong.. that could of been the case, but the only thing in the package that came already assembled was the transmission so it can't be my fault.. So if anyone could give me some insite on what to do.. id really appreciate it.

First, Try leaning your HSN, get them up to 250, or around that, and see if that helps.

I've tried before I've had it running all the way up at 250-260, there was substantial increase in performance, but still no luck with the tranny.

I would contact HPI. Doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong.

Good to know, thanks for the help, as for HPI I already contacted them.. was maybe hoping someone knew something over here =) since HPI takes a week to respond, Thanks alot tho

Could it be that you are just not hearing it shift? Not trying to be a smart A#@, but I can never hear my 3 speed shift unless I run on pavement. The tone of the motor changes so much on grass or dirt I can never hear it shift. Any time I do any clutch or tranny work I always test on pavement so I am sure to hear it shift.

Have you messed with your slipper at all? A loose slipper will allow power through when torque transfer is low (i.e. first gear), but when it hits second, there's more torque transfer between the spur/slipper and transmission, so if it's loose, it will slip on you. So, it may hit 2nd gear, but slip so much that you don't pick up much speed or hear it shift, and if it hits 3rd, it would just slip worse.

Slipping clutch shoes could cause the same effect. If you have oil in your bell at all, they will slip quite a bit and get so hot that they fry your bearings in the CB.

Could it be that you are just not hearing it shift? Not trying to be a smart A#@, but I can never hear my 3 speed shift unless I run on pavement. The tone of the motor changes so much on grass or dirt I can never hear it shift. Any time I do any clutch or tranny work I always test on pavement so I am sure to hear it shift.

Nah, its definitely not that, I've been testing it on pavement and theres no switch.

Have you messed with your slipper at all? A loose slipper will allow power through when torque transfer is low (i.e. first gear), but when it hits second, there's more torque transfer between the spur/slipper and transmission, so if it's loose, it will slip on you. So, it may hit 2nd gear, but slip so much that you don't pick up much speed or hear it shift, and if it hits 3rd, it would just slip worse.

Slipping clutch shoes could cause the same effect. If you have oil in your bell at all, they will slip quite a bit and get so hot that they fry your bearings in the CB.

I Havent but ill look into that thanks!

I know it's probably a little late but I was having the same thing happen. After I backed out the adjustment to where I thought it was too much, it did start shifting. Then I backed it out a little more to see if I could get an earlier shift and it quit shifting again. This is my first Savage so I'm not sure if this is right but it seems like its got a happy spot. Anyways, I hope you got her going!

You have to make damn sure you are adjusting the correct set screw. There's 2 set screws. One of them holds the 2 speed gear assembly to the shaft and the other is the adjustment screw. It should be the one that is at an angle to the shaft. It could be that your truck is starting out in 2nd gear. I had this problem once so I just tightened that sucker all the way down so that I would know that it was running in 1st gear only. That way I heard what it sounded like in first. Then I started to adjust it out utill it finally started to shift then I fine tuned it. It took several hours to get mine right.

Back