New Wraith Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I started to call it a scaler build, but I decided the scaler purists might have a stroke, even though they are replicas of 1:1 rigs. :hehe:

But anyway, I've wanted one of these for a while now, but worried it would just sit on a shelf like the other crawler I built. But I've been crawling a little recently, and really enjoying it, so here it is, my new to me Wraith. Got it on the cheap, so I couldn't say no. I'm going to trim up some of the bodywork (unsure on the rear sides just yet), and have a few things for it already. I have more stuff ordered, mainly electronics and drive line upgrades, and some of that is back ordered, but I will post up as I go along with the build.

Came with a driver, luckily he knew how to put it back together out of the box

P1130290Medium_zps84f65787.jpg

P1130293Medium_zps8b4e01cd.jpg

P1130311Medium_zps9a92cc9a.jpg

What I have so far;

beadlocks thanks to Pete!

The piggyback shocks I bought for the bikes won't work on them, so I bought two more and will use them on this, as others are using the same shock

battery re-location kit

hood hinge kit

more on the way

P1130313Medium_zpsceb4c5ed.jpg

100% scaler to me. A crawler is a rig made for comps and not scale to a 1:1.

That's really slick. It helps to have an experienced guy there to save you the trouble of building it. :D

Thank God somebody knows what's going on. :D

100% scaler to me. A crawler is a rig made for comps and not scale to a 1:1.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well Lloyd. But I've been out of crawling for a long time, so I have no idea what the classifications are nowadays. There will be lots of scale details on this one in the coming months though. I'm excited about it, never done a scaler before, and I've drooled over some of y'alls builds for sure.

Looks sweet, I can see where you had trouble deciding what section to put it in because the wraith is kind of a hybrid, but I would have to agree with Lloyd more scaler, and I know that at all of the G6 scale comps they have a wraith class, but no wraith class at the crawler comps.

Thanks man, I've been out of it a long time now, but excited about getting back into it. All the videos and bulids of scalers around here lately got me!

Well, I trimmed the front of the body to factory lines, and I liked it a lot better.

P1130332Medium_zpsf6b85cf5.jpg

Finally got my RX to link, it's a BIA (built in antenna) seutp, so no wire to run

P1130317Medium_zps0b30eb0c.jpg

And some more parts showed up today

RC4WD AX2 two speed transmission and optional gear guard
Hitec HS-65MG and servo saver for shifting duties
Holmes Hobbies torque master pro 35T motor and BR-XL ESC combo

Now if my driveline stuff will just show up, I can get started :D

P1130326Medium_zpsa71af213.jpg

In due time, in due time. That ESC ain't waterproofed for nuttin'

Also, the stock Wraith will do nice doughnuts on hardwood floors. :D

Last edited:
Wow I've been absent for too long here... Looks fantastic HPI, would love to know where you got those side body panels, they look sweet!!

Lets see that badboy on the trail pickin up some wounded soldiers! You should mock up a scale medic soldier for a driver!!

---------- Post added at 5:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:45 PM ----------

In due time, in due time. That ESC ain't waterproofed for nuttin'

Also, the stock Wraith will do nice doughnuts on hardwood floors. :D

Use caution on Wraith spins, they spin hard and fast enough to blow glued tire seals and debead tires from beads :hehe:

Wow I've been absent for too long here... Looks fantastic HPI, would love to know where you got those side body panels, they look sweet!!

Lets see that badboy on the trail pickin up some wounded soldiers! You should mock up a scale medic soldier for a driver!!

Use caution on Wraith spins, they spin hard and fast enough to blow glued tire seals and debead tires from beads :hehe:

Thanks buddy, those kick ass vids of your pushed me over the top, couldn't take it anymore. :D

The body panels were there when I bought it man, I believe he said he bought lexan sheet and cut them himself. Not sure if I'm going to keep the theme, since it was someone else's idea and all, and I'd kinda like to do my own, but at the same time I really like it also, so we'll see.

Good to know about the O's, they are fun though.

Just got back from a camping trip, and my last package is being held hostage at the P.O. so the build should start tomorrow night.

Got some more packages today, I think I'm only two packages short from having everything here, so I'll probably start the tear down tonight or tomorrow one.

Vanquish VVD's and MIP center shafts

P1130345_zpsf82c69d4.jpg

Vanquish stg 1 kit, Vanquish CMS, Vanquish pan hard, Vanquish titanium link kit, heyOK performance light controller

P1130353Medium_zpse84bb042.jpg

Flying Dutchman da tray and da cover

P1130360Medium_zps93c58754.jpg

Pit Bull Rock Beast II's with Crawler Innovations double deuce 6" foams with medium fronts and firm rear outers

P1130357Medium_zps14d8a23a.jpg

Looks like your throwing some money at it with those Vanquish parts.

Looks like your throwing some money at it with those Vanquish parts.

Just beefing things up so I can play more than wrench hamz. I've heard great things about their stuff durability wise, and that they 100% stand behind their product. But yes, the prices can be a bit tough on the bank account too. :D

I about had a heart-attack when the guys handed me some axle cases and internals as a possible upgrade for the SCX-10/JK Scaler of mine.

I about had a heart-attack when the guys handed me some axle cases and internals as a possible upgrade for the SCX-10/JK Scaler of mine.

The guys as in the guys at VP, or your buddies? Been drooling over the curries myself, but that's gonna have to wait. :D

I've been hard at it tonight with the tear down...

Like all good builds, nutrition and hydration are key :D

P1130367Medium_zps98fd2446.jpg

Out with the old

P1130371Medium_zps0edbbde9.jpg

Shaved down the tabs on the RX box to be re-used

P1130373Medium_zps7ab02890.jpg

Got the rear tray trimmed, and holes cut for my wiring and all mocked up

P1130383Medium_zps1e7021fe.jpg

Got my forward battery tray installed

P1130384Medium_zps8fcd809a.jpg

Mounted my CMS and pan hard mount

P1130386Medium_zps6e2a883f.jpg

Trimmed the interior for battery tray clearance, and glued it up

P1130388Medium_zps117c11b1.jpg

And it looks my coffee table ate a Wraith, and threw up :hehe:

P1130389Medium_zps811f4957.jpg

It was the guys at the LHS having fun with me.

next picture you need to clean off the top of the Maxim Magazine, so we can see what's going on in it :D

I had a slower night tonight since I got side tracked with GTA V that showed up in the mail today. :hehe:

Got all my soldering done and tested all but the shift servo

P1130391Medium_zps37681e42.jpg

Mounted the rear tray, the ESC, the RX box, and ran my wires

P1130402Medium_zps8b7ec4a7.jpg

Put the front of the cage back together and mounted my steering servo

P1130399Medium_zps36b09712.jpg

Went ahead and did my foams / tires / beadlocks so I didn't have to wait two hours once I was done building :D

P1130395Medium_zps42c73b50.jpg

Well, back to GTA V, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

Back