New Truck/Newb Questions/Advice Needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzen

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is my very first REAL Radio Controlled Car ever.(Toys 'r' us doesn't count) Nitro ST.

Well today I decided to try my new RC10GT RTR I recieved in the mail Tuesday. It started easily with the given instructions. The car had a tendecy to roll foward quickly while idling or stand still. Me and a buddy adjusted the throttle linkage on servo, which seemed to be screwed up, throttle trim on my remote. Things are fine. Maybe on my 3 start up, still on tank 1 of gas, I forgot to turn the car on and when it started it was like WOT for like 3-5 seconds before I shut it off. Did I damage something? :boxing: What could stop my car from rolling? Also why is the low speed needle hard to turn? I havent touched it yet. Other than that, I'm running pretty rich as I'm still in the break-in stage. Any advice? Thanks :cheers:

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The AE engines are pretty tough. As long as you have ran it a little bit it should be fine. When the engine gets hot remember to put it down to BDC. (bottom dead center) this keeps the piston from locking to the sleeve when it cools and contracts in size.

No you probably didnt damage anything if you caught it quick. Your idle screw maybe in too far. Get a fail safe for your car. Make sure your engine is at factory needle settings for break in. Be very very carfull and complete on your break in DO NOT SKIP A STEP. It is easy to get eager to see what the car will do but you can really deminish the life of the engine by not doing a good job here. HOpe this helps and welcome to the forum and to rc. Is this the first nitro you have seen run?

Yes, this is my first nitro. The last RC car I had was a XMod from radio shack. And maybe 10-12 years ago I had a Porsche 911 that was corded that only went foward abd turned only in reverse. :smoke: So I'm a hardcore newb right now. :arrr: But I've been looking into these "real" rc cars since 1998. I've had subscriptions to various rc car magazines and have been reading pretty much up till last week when I decided to get a nitro truck :cheers:

well, it looks like you did your research.

Hi and welcome to the boards. Congrats on the new rig! Rc10gts are nice rigs, and have TONS of hop ups available if ya choose to later on. But yeah a failsafe would be a good investment. As far as right now, breakin the engine in properly is a MAJOR step, so be sure to do it exactly as they say. And DONT skip any steps or rush it. Up on the top left theres a link called "Tips" where ya might be able to snag some good info. Again welcome!

Also, until the engine is broken in, it will run somewhat erratic. It will idle funny, stall periodically... If I remember correctly, the RC10GT comes stock with a clutch that doesn't have any springs. Most Nitro clutches have springs to hold the shoes away from the bell until it gets up in RPM's a little bit. With the RC10GT, it will have a tendency to walk away from you at idle because of the clutch.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I've been breakin in my car for 2 days and that thing is FAST. I'm really enjoying it. It screams. :boxing: I've been jumping it off a wooden ramp and getting about 4-5 feet off the ground :smoke: (slap ma fro style)We have some thick soft grass, so when it lands, on its wheels I may add :cheers: , its like falling in some marshmallows. Its a tought truck :hammer:

Last edited:
make sure you stay off the gas when you land. ITs a quick way to rip stuff up. Enjoy, you think that is fast go get a 1/8 scale buggy and run it ride beside the 1/10 ST. ITs sick the take off buggys have.

I used to have a xxx-nt. It was my first RC as well. Good little truck, but not nearly durable enough for a newbie that just wanted to bash. Oddly enough, driving an ST will help you learn how to drive better. They teach you to brake early, fly level and to be careful around stationary objects.

I got a 1/8th buggy about 6 months back... those things almost drive themselves. After watching movies of guys driving buggies and thinking "Wow! Those guys can drive!!", I got one... I'm pretty sure the buggy is doing most of the work for them. I know it does most of the work for me!

Oh and tbbh-teacher is right, they are ridiculously fast. Off the line, out of the corners and just general driving.

Where u live in GA? I lived in Savannah for a while and still make it down there every so often. There's a track there if your close to there. And just to add, defintely get a failsafe!

I live in Decatur, GA. Olds97, is see you live in Dekalb, IL. I live in Dekalb County here in GA :thumbsup: :jittery: LOL

Back