New to T-Maxx's. Why am I chewing up spur gears? PICS!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iqraceworks

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought a used T-Maxx off of a guy. It's got a .21 conversion with a Rossi Nova .21 motor. It also has a TI bed plate...which I've been told flexes more than the aluminum ones.

The transmission and motor mount bolts are all tight......but it still seems to go through stock plastic spur gears like candy. I set the lash between the pinion and spur gear like you are supposed to, but I still keep having problems. It had a metal spur gear on it when I got it, but it was all chewed also. I'm thinking that something is flexing causing an excessive gap between the gears....and then it just shears all of the teeth off of the spur gear.

Any suggestions?

Here are some pics. One is of the trashed spur and pinion when I got it. It's got a new stock metal pinion and plastic spur now. I've also put the front driveshafts back in it.

1005149rc3nz2.jpg

1005158rc2mo9.jpg

1005182rrt1xv8.jpg

1005175rrrt3in3.jpg

you shouldnt have that much gap between the flywheel and clutchbell.I would say you need to put a washer behind the cb screw.

you shouldnt have that much gap between the flywheel and clutchbell.I would say you need to put a washer behind the cb screw.

After I put the new pinon gear on it, it got rid of that gap. There were some internal parts missing when that picture was taken.

how are you running stock chassie braces with a .21 coversion?

IMO if your mesh is good and your still eating gears your engine is moving are the chassis is flexing. What chassis are you using, what chassis braces do you have?

That is the HardCore big block conversion kit. They retain the stock length braces, and use an extended rear skid plate. Make sure that you use a hardend clutch bell with that steel spur gear. No matter what the mesh, the big block power will rip a regular clutch bell apart with a steel spur gear.

That is the HardCore big block conversion kit. They retain the stock length braces, and use an extended rear skid plate. Make sure that you use a hardend clutch bell with that steel spur gear. No matter what the mesh, the big block power will rip a regular clutch bell apart with a steel spur gear.

Could that be my problem?? I'm running the stock plastic spur gear now with a stock metal spur gear. Will the stock plastic spur gear handle the power from the .21 Rossi....even if it's setup right and has no chassis flex?

And yes, you are correct.....it's the Hardcore conversion that uses the stock plastic braces.....should I upgrade to metal braces?

I recomend changing out those stock chassie braces to alumimum.

You might also want to loosen your slipper about 1/8th of a turn looser from the stock position. That way, it'll slip before stripping, hopefully. Also, as it's been mentioned, any time you run a steel spur, you want to run a hardened clutch bell.

Back