New to short course trucks. Need advice on which truck to get for racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well its been 12 years since I've raced anything. I used to drive a Losi XX back in the day. I went to my LHS last night and have decided I'm going to get back into racing again. I see they have the new slash 4x4's, rc10's, blitz's, and a few others. Which are the better trucks for racing purposes? It seems like things have changed a bit over the years....now everything comes RTR! Are there any other good sites to catch up on some reading as well? Thanks!

I think the best way to determine is to see what people in your area are racing. Go to your local track, or just ask the people at the hobby shop as they may also be racing short course classes and could point you in the right direction.

Last year the biggest hit was the Traxxas Slash, I don't have a clue what's going to be big local for us this year given all the new stuff that has been released since last season.

There's almost always a spec class for the Traxxas Slash 2wd, I'd say there might be a class for the 4wd now that it's out because it's a little faster would likely bring in the 1/8th buggy guys for good times.

Where will you be racing at?

As far as best SC truck we could be here awhile but every week I race and we usually have 40+ entries into the SC class with a mixture of mostly Slash, SC10, and Blitz. As far as who is on the podium that seems to be more driver related than kit related. like Marauder said find out what everybody else is racing and then make your decision.

As far as best SC truck we could be here awhile but every week I race and we usually have 40+ entries into the SC class with a mixture of mostly Slash, SC10, and Blitz. As far as who is on the podium that seems to be more driver related than kit related. like Marauder said find out what everybody else is racing and then make your decision.

Yeah, I totally know what you're talking about its mainly the driver. I went and talked to the LHS today. They are only running 2 classes....stock(2x4) and open(2x4 or 4x4 doesn't matter). For the stock class people are running either, strike's, blitz's, or slash's. I've read so many people say strikes arent any good so I will probably stay away from those. I was interested in it at first though. I'm debating on getting the sc10 and/or the blitz. What are the differences between the two? I may just get em both and find out for myself....who knows.

gonna have to wait for one of the other guys to respond since I only have Slash's never had a reason to change very happy and competitive.

I may just get em both and find out for myself....who knows.

That's what I've done. I bought the SC10 based on reports of it being more race-capable than the Slash (not much of a basher here), and the fact that it looks 10x more "scale" than a Slash. I also think the reports of poor durability with the SC10 are exaggerated, as I've broken one $2 during four race days.

My Blitz should arrive today.

This isn't to say that I don't want a Slash, I'd be glad to take one for the right price just to have in my stable, but it's definitely a low priority.

Well i been going to my local track and i notice their is allot of sc10's and BLITZ out their the slash truck allot of people seem to love it but i drove it and the handling on it isn't up to what i expected i say my least favorite in that department BLITZ (i own) also isn't as aggressive with the handling but i might tweak and try to improve it . But mainly the good reviews go to losi strike and the sc10 for handling . But at the end of the day every racer is different and you need to experiment with different kits to better suit your likings .

good luck with your pick !:D

Don't let handling sway your opinion, no truck will have a perfect setup for all track conditions out of the box, and any truck can be tweaked to perform well at a track. I could cause serious oversteer, major understeer, power slides, etc with a few adjustments on our track depending on when they watered our track between our heats I would try to make the changes to give me the edge. I'm no pro by any means, and I was able to tweak a couple things here and there and come out on top of the guys who thought out of the box is what ya get.

Can you do a DIY (Do it your self) wright on how to better tweak you truck

Rooster88.....I've been racing short course 2 year now i have all the sct out now ...as far as 2wd stock class..strike ....lame ....sc10 you spend more time tryen to set it up......blitz is good but can be slow at times.....Slash....the best to date ...the fasted best driving...and after market support.....I've owned 6...still have 3....sad to say all these other company will still just be playing catch up.......:eek:

Definitely can't go wrong with the Slash. I have been severely tempted to pick up an SC10 as of late but will hold off as I want to focus on just one truck at the track for the time being. Definitely worth looking into.

I've been racing since the 80's and went right to the SC10 and I really like it a lot!

Back