New to RC world

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fightin'BlueHens

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
While walking my dog one night, my wife and I came across a Traxxas Revo 3.3 sitting on top of a trash pile. With it was the box and a tool box with glow plugs, wrenches, fuel bottle etc. My wife and I grabbed it all and took off for home like two little kids (we're both 36). I charged everything up and tried to start it but it didn't start.

It has the EZ start and only 1 light is glowing when I try to start it. The glow plug light isn't illuminated. I looked on here and found a thread that said to pull the glow plug, start the Revo and see if the plug glows. I couldn't figure out how to get the plug out so I pulled of the wire, got another glow plug and didn't see it glowing.

This is my first RC car so hang with me, 1) How do you get the plug wire back on the plug that's installed on the carb? 2) How do you get the glow plugs out? 3) Could the wire that goes to the glow plug be bad? 4) Am I on the right track troubleshooting the glow plug?

If the EZ Start wand is showing the Glow Plug light out then yes, you need to check that. A nut driver will take the plug out (it screws in and out), the tool box may even have the silver s-shaped wrench in it. I prefer a screw-driver type nut driver.

You can use needle nose pliers to put the blue wire back on. Unscrew the glow plug, attach the blue wire to it and then use the EZ Start wand. You'll have to hold the glow plug against the engine so it's grounded or it won't turn bright red even if it's a good plug (which it probably isn't). Also, you'll want to hold the glow plug with some pliers, they can get very hot very quickly. Make sure the battery in the wand is charged also.

Since this is your first RC car, I would recommend a couple things. Go to Traxxas.com and download the owners manual and the exploded views of the Revo. Also buy a temp gun if you plan on keeping it, they are invaluable when tuning the motor, it's very easy to run it too lean which will shorten the life span of the motor.

Last edited:
I thought a 30 dollar yard sale T-Maxx was a steal.... Congrats on the find and Welcome.

Lol...that's an awesome deal. :)

btw, the light going out means that either the starter wand (or whatever you call it) is broken or the glow plug is gone bad.

First start by checking the wiring (make sure there's nothing loose). If you have an ohmeter you can check between the blue and yellow wire to see if the glow plug is in the loop - basically you're checking for an open. If that doesn't bear fruit, I suggest going to the local hobby store and getting a glow plug ignitor. They're in the 20 dollar range but you've saved enough on the revo that you can afford that :). If that turns out to be the issue you can probably get a new stater wand on ebay for a couple of bucks (I bought one for $0.95 + $2 shipping).

I wonder what made the owner put it on the trash heap...me guessing that this was their first vehicle and they just broke down trying to figure it out. I got my Revo on ebay and the guy who had it before me spent all kinds of money on it buying the aluminum skid plates, etc. but couldn't figure out how to make it go, so he sold it (losing a ton o'money in the process). Again my deal wasn't as good as yours, but yours is really hard to beat...

While walking my dog one night, my wife and I came across a Traxxas Revo 3.3 sitting on top of a trash pile. With it was the box and a tool box with glow plugs, wrenches, fuel bottle etc. My wife and I grabbed it all and took off for home like two little kids (we're both 36). I charged everything up and tried to start it but it didn't start.

It has the EZ start and only 1 light is glowing when I try to start it. The glow plug light isn't illuminated. I looked on here and found a thread that said to pull the glow plug, start the Revo and see if the plug glows. I couldn't figure out how to get the plug out so I pulled of the wire, got another glow plug and didn't see it glowing.

This is my first RC car so hang with me, 1) How do you get the plug wire back on the plug that's installed on the carb? 2) How do you get the glow plugs out? 3) Could the wire that goes to the glow plug be bad? 4) Am I on the right track troubleshooting the glow plug?

Even not running, the rig would be worth good money on ebay if it’s in good condition. Either someone is incredibly stupid, or some dudes wife or girlfriend got fed up and put the stuff out without the other knowing.

Replaced the glow plug and am now getting my 2 lights on the EZ start wand...still wont start.

Could it be the one way bearing (OWB) because that's what I'm getting ready to remove and clean. I read those things can get dirty and cause the engine from starting.

I wish I had the "Big Find" on video. I'm sure my wife and I looked goofy doing the old grab and go. I figure I'll tinker around with this and see if I get hooked. I've got 2 boys so I'm sure at least 1 of us 3 will get into it.

Replaced the glow plug and am now getting my 2 lights on the EZ start wand...still wont start.

Could it be the one way bearing (OWB) because that's what I'm getting ready to remove and clean. I read those things can get dirty and cause the engine from starting.

I wish I had the "Big Find" on video. I'm sure my wife and I looked goofy doing the old grab and go. I figure I'll tinker around with this and see if I get hooked. I've got 2 boys so I'm sure at least 1 of us 3 will get into it.

Could be the OWB, never hurts to clean it. You can set the needles back to factory settings. HSN= 4 turns out, LSN= flush with the surrounding recessed area. Idle should be set so there is about a 1mm gap when you take off the air filter and look into the carb. This will likely be on the rich side (it's meant as break-in settings) but it's a good place to start. There is no telling where those needles are set to right now.

I'm only asking this because you said its your first RC.

Are you getting fuel to the carburator? The way I start my Revo is to plug the exhaust (thumb or finger will do) while the EZ start wand is spinning the engine. This causes the necessary pressure in the fuel tank to push the fuel to the engine. You can usually tell when the engine is about to fire off and you take your finger out of the exhaust at that point.

Just another $0.02.

Yea Mjr_Carnage, I plugged the exhaust with my thumb and tried to start it. I didnt keep it on there for long. Maybe about 3 sec. Thinking that this is a mini-car I didnt want to burn up the starter. So I EZ start it in 5 sec. bursts.

Actually I did have an RC before. Remember the robot called Tobor back in the '70's? Yea, I had one. :p:

Well it was worth a try.. :)

Usually I go by the teachings of one of my college professors. I remember him saying, you need 3 things for an engine to start. Fuel, air and spark.

So, assuming the fuel gets into the carburator (mine was gummed up and had to do some serious disassembling and cleaning) and the glow plug is good (and the air filter isn't jammed) the engine should fire up...yeah the 5 second bursts are a good way to go on this (it's equivalent more or less to a pull start).

That being said, have you tried opening the throttle when you are cranking? I usually open mine a bit (on all my RCs) usually by upping the trim adjustment on the radio. On the Spektrum (for reference) I up it about 5-6 ticks. Then when the engine starts I slowly bring it back down to the neutral point. In your case I would suggest checking the idle setting to make sure that the carb is open enough to let some air in..

After this I think I may be out of ideas.

Yea Mjr_Carnage, I plugged the exhaust with my thumb and tried to start it. I didnt keep it on there for long. Maybe about 3 sec. Thinking that this is a mini-car I didnt want to burn up the starter. So I EZ start it in 5 sec. bursts.

Actually I did have an RC before. Remember the robot called Tobor back in the '70's? Yea, I had one. :p:

another few cents

Might just need a new sleeve and piston... The pressure built by the compression of air is what will ignight your charge. You can check for compression by hand turning the crankshaft, there should be resistanse before the piston reaches Top Dead Center (TDC) and on the way back down if the seal is good then it will be pushing the piston down. (thus causing the crank to rotate a little less than half a turn on its own) If you do get it running and it dies after the engine starts to warm up, you may have trouble starting it again due to a bad compression seal at operating temp after the metal starts to heat and flex.

Good call GusMax, I'll give that a shot.

There's got to be a reason why this dude put the truck out for trash. If it worked fine he would either still have it or would have given/sold it to someone.

good luck

Be sure to use the correct procedure for breaking the engine in... that may be why the unlucky fellow who left his for broke is having these problems. this is strait out of the guys that made the damm thing and it what I used I had a good run before I had to replace the sleeve/piston

tank 1- throttle 1/4 - time 2 seconds - let cool 15 min -body off - notes apply throtle gradually

tank 2 - throttle 1/2- time 2 seconds- let cool 15 min- body on- notes apply throtle gradually

Tank 3 -Throttle 1/2- time 3 seconds- do not let cool -notes reduce idle speed if nessasary

tank 4- throttle full- time 3 seconds- do not let cool- body on do not allow to shift to second gear lighten up on trigger if nessasary

tank 5- throttle full -time 5 seconds- Do not let cool- body on notes accelerate for 3 seconds full throtle for 2

tank 6 -stop and clean that filter then ... rock out cus ur dun

Usually I go by the teachings of one of my college professors. I remember him saying, you need 3 things for an engine to start. Fuel, air and spark.

Actually it takes 4 things for an engine to run.

1. A combustible air/fuel mixture
2. Compression
3. Ignition
4. Correct timing (not problem with these engines,that's built in)

Back