New to RC World, LiPo Discharge Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quip

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Greeting everyone.
Just bought my first RC yesterday and I’m pretty excited.

gentleman at my LHS suggested (2) Lectron Pro 5200mah 50c batteries with a 2C charge rate.

After extensive reading about LiPo batteries I feel I have the jist down on them other than discharge. Which I’m reading is all over the map with opinions.

So in order to discharge the above batteries on my UltraPower UP200 Duo what is the recommend setting?

when discharge is selected on my charger it gives me 2.0a and 11.1v discharge options with the ability to increase/decrease said numbers.

Thanks!

I would discharge it at 2.0 amps I have the same charger it's a great charger.

The C rating is the amount of current that can be safely discharged.
capacity * C = max amps
5.2A * 50 = 260A

That means you can pull power out of the pack at 260A without damaging it.

Take the C rating with a grain of salt though... even though they say 50C, odds are, it's really closer to 20-30C. Even if it was 10C, you'd still be able to safely pull power from it at 52 amps safely.

So you can set the charge to 2A discharge rate and not really have to worry about it.

What you want to pay the most attention to is the voltage. Most people don't like going lower than 3.2V per cell with lipo's. Most set their LVC in their esc's to 3.4V-3.6V for safety. But on a charger, it should stop discharging each cell as it gets close to 3.2V per cell if that's the setting you have put in it. An ESC just does an average for the entire pack, but chargers can sense the voltage of each cell individually.

Awesome advice. Thanks!

makes more sense now

The C rating is the amount of current that can be safely discharged.
capacity * C = max amps
5.2A * 50 = 260A

That means you can pull power out of the pack at 260A without damaging it.

Take the C rating with a grain of salt though... even though they say 50C, odds are, it's really closer to 20-30C. Even if it was 10C, you'd still be able to safely pull power from it at 52 amps safely.

So you can set the charge to 2A discharge rate and not really have to worry about it.

What you want to pay the most attention to is the voltage. Most people don't like going lower than 3.2V per cell with lipo's. Most set their LVC in their esc's to 3.4V-3.6V for safety. But on a charger, it should stop discharging each cell as it gets close to 3.2V per cell if that's the setting you have put in it. An ESC just does an average for the entire pack, but chargers can sense the voltage of each cell individually.

Id either make or buy a bulb discharger,, some 1157 bulbs work great.. I have a few Id also get a lipo buzzer for safety reasons..always handy to know exactly whats the packs voltage is...
Now for the discharge voltage for storage.. from 3.65volts to 3.75 volts..but if there gonna sit in storage for months do monthly checks on voltage some packs will self discharge,,info that might help,,http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...08013016430805014&selectedIndex=25&ajaxhist=0
I added a fan to this and a deflection shield for my eyes..

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...mpaign=pa-us-toys-rcparts-pc&cur_warehouse=CN

This means that the maximum continuous current your lipo battery can provide to you is 7.2Ah * 90c = 648A, and the maximum discharge current of the battery must bigger than the maximum current of the motor, which mean bigger than ESC, so this batteries with capacity and rate can be use on most ESCs. the most important thing is voltage matching

Back