New to nitro need help with a jato 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Jato

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok so I'm new to nitro and I just bought a used jato 3.3 but I'm having trouble getting it started. It sounds like the carb won't keep sucking fuel in it and also my radio won't transmit to the receiver on the car but I have the matching crystals in it and yes battery's are all in and charged. Any help would be good thanks.

Word of advise, get that transmitter issue fixed BEFORE starting that engine! A runaway nitro car is no fun, they always seem to find the biggest and hardest thing to run into..trust me on this one.LOL

Thanks but I don't know if its the transmitter or the recover on the car and I don't want to go dropping money on something that might not fix it.

Either way don't start that engine until you get the radio system working properly or you are just asking for trouble. As far as your engine issues, I don't know much about them, I usually take my nitros to the LHS. But if you are not getting fuel you can start by adjusting the high speed needle on the carb, also make sure there are no leaks in the fuel line. That about sums up my knowledge, but there are some very knowledgeable folks on this site so I'm sure you will get the help you need.

NEVER....Never EVER....

Again, NEVER EVER start a car until you know that the radio and rx are working and the servos are functioning.
Unless you can physically SEE that the carb is closing when it should and the wheels are turning in the right directions, NEVER, NEVER start it.

Update: Ok got it on the not starting it but when the car is switched on the throttle and break servo moves into breaking position and I don't know if it is my radio controller or something else.

Is their a fail safe installed?

Check "all"wires!
Check the baterie holder for anything loose or coroded.
Use brand new batteries.
Get a brand new set of crystals.

Upgrade to an 2.4 rx/tx

I would recommend getting rid of the old crystal-style radio and getting a newer 2.4 GHz radio to replace it if you're having problems with current radio. Try priming the engine by running the EZ-Start with your finger over the stinger of the exhaust until you see fuel reaching the carb in the fuel line.

Sorry, Rolex, wasn't thinking it through all the way. Just trying to answer the question.

Is their a fail safe installed?

Check "all"wires!
Check the baterie holder for anything loose or coroded.
Use brand new batteries.
Get a brand new set of crystals.

Upgrade to an 2.4 rx/tx

Yes there is a fail safe I have tried all new batteries checked all wires in and going to the transmitter. Still nothing have a spare set of crystals those didn't work either.
In addition to a new radio what else do I need for the car.

Sorry, Rolex, wasn't thinking it through all the way. Just trying to answer the question.
Not a problem, your advise was spot on. We just need to make sure that no one ever tries to start an engine till they know everything else is correct.

Here's the best budget radio on the market:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLYSKY-RC-3...2139&clkid=9198892176850796979&_qi=RTM1562571

So, you get a computerized 2.4 Ghz 3 channel system and your radio problems are over. If you have a 4 pack battery setup in the car get a 5 cell rechargeable hump pack for it.
Get a couple of new glow plugs, after run oil and new fuel line.
You'll probably have to clean the needle valves but you can use new fuel to do that. Just don't put it in the tank till we know you're good to go.

If you have a 4 pack battery setup in the car get a 5 cell rechargeable hump pack for it.

You'll want a flat pack for the Jato, hump packs don't fit in the battery boxes.