New to nitro, engine question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Higginbottoms

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I am relatively new to nitro rc.. I recently got a redcat shockwave and I am looking into upgrading the engine. The engine currently is 2.67 cc.. The engine I am looking at is 3.00 cc and is 115 dollars. Is it worth the upgrade? Oh, and I am just looking for ways to make it go faster, so if you know of anything else i can do to improve speed please let me know..
Thanks,
John

I'd say to save your money for something a little better.

As was said, save your money for rig that has better support. Beat the heck out of the Redcat and when it's beyond repair, then get something a bit faster.

Ya I would have to agree. I have a redcat lightning it was fun but I went and bought a traxxis within a month or two after I broke a few parts

in the mean time while your beating the crap out of it try putting a clutchbell with a higher tooth count on it than what your current one has. That will give you some more speed. :)

Thankyou for the replies! In the meantime i will continue smahsing the thing then get a better rig when it breaks... I might also change the clutchbell too.

If you were going to shop around for engines, you might want to try Ebay, I see decent 'used' engines go for 30-60$.

If you were going to shop around for engines, you might want to try Ebay, I see decent 'used' engines go for 30-60$.
When first starting it is NOT advisable to buy a used engine.

I agree with Hamz...dont buy anything used when your new if you can help it...It can be a huge source of frustration for you that can even make you wanna give up on the hobby entirely.

I would go with the others- put a higher tooth clutch bell on and bash it to death (not literally) if you are looking for an engine DON'T BUY 2ND HAND. My recommendation would be a Novarossi .21 engine that suits your price range :)

Just remember anything you do to increase the top speed will reduce power. Kind of like a sea-saw. The redcat is not the best vehicle to start with, but at least they are cheap. You could also try some larger tires. On my nephews redcat we took the exhaust apart and removed the restrictor in it. Got a lot more power and tunability out of it.