New to me Team Associated MGT 4.6 M/T

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsbuickman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hiya Guys :cool: , it's been awhile since I posted anything so I thought I'd change that, especially since I just picked up a new to me Team Associated MGT 8.0 1/8 scale M/T.

:pigeon:
received_586497975099985.jpeg
received_483631805471792.jpeg
received_1693876640740834.jpeg
received_2171621313060184.jpeg

It came as is just like you see it with nobody, a four Channel Associated AM radio and an SH engines .28 mill that's supposedly loose & about shot, so it also came with a new $280 Team Orion Wasp .28 to drop in it :) ...

received_213717216006624.jpeg

received_1891348937838562.jpeg

received_693227607709195.jpeg

That is not the 8.0 ,the trans. gives it away!

It is the 4.6 version an has absolutely no hop-ups ,other than a different engine!....:cool:

Just don't want you to be missed led ,it is still a good truck ,I have 3 Mgt's 4.6 versions!....:thumbs-up:

@gsbuickman am I seeing that right, have they already sealed the Wasp engine?

Uuuummmm, seal what ?, I haven't noticed anything sealed and if something was sealed that would have been out of the ordinary and I'm sure I would have noticed it. I pulled the motor mount, flywheel, clutch & clutchbell, header & exhaust and the pull start off the S.H. .28 and got them on the Wasp so I could get it in the truck & I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary :) ...

20181013_144433.jpg

That is not the 8.0 ,the trans. gives it away!

It is the 4.6 version an has absolutely no hop-ups ,other than a different engine!....:cool:

Just don't want you to be missed led ,it is still a good truck ,I have 3 Mgt's 4.6 versions!....:thumbs-up:

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it :cool: . I've had my fair share of monster trucks truggies and Buggies from most all of the RC companies from associated to XTM but believe it or not this is my first MGT :wideyed: . Idk how that happened but it's probably partially due to the fact that when it comes to monster trucks I've always had a preference for LST's. These days I don't bash rigs like I used to & I prefer to take it easy and not break them but I still enjoy running them and I still enjoy big block Nitro over brushless trucks that have a tendency to bore me. I got lucky and traded a 1/8 Exceed Maxstone crawler that I gave $100 for, for this MGT, needless to say I jumped all over that deal :spiderman: ..

On another note, I guess the guy I got the truck from thought it was an 8.0 because it had reverse or something but that doesn't matter because it works for me

Good luck with that engine. Its a Toki engine known for being extremely finiky and hard to tune.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it :cool: . I've had my fair share of monster trucks truggies and Buggies from most all of the RC companies from associated to XTM but believe it or not this is my first MGT :wideyed: . Idk how that happened but it's probably partially due to the fact that when it comes to monster trucks I've always had a preference for LST's. These days I don't bash rigs like I used to & I prefer to take it easy and not break them but I still enjoy running them and I still enjoy big block Nitro over brushless trucks that have a tendency to bore me. I got lucky and traded a 1/8 Exceed Maxstone crawler that I gave $100 for, for this MGT, needless to say I jumped all over that deal :spiderman: ..

On another note, I guess the guy I got the truck from thought it was an 8.0 because it had reverse or something but that doesn't matter because it works for me

That's cool ,they met the sealing of the engine ,that's what that orange sealer is ,its to seal any
leaks in which will hender your tuning!
Does those wheels rub on the inside ?
Those are the Losi claws ,but those rims rubbed mine so I used the tires with aluminum rims ,
I like the tires because they are soft an give plenty traction for massive hill climb!

Good luck with that engine. Its a Toki engine known for being extremely finiky and hard to tune.

That's OK, I'll try it and if I can get it to run good then okay, if not I have a team Losi Big Red .28 to drop in it if the wasp doesn't, work out.

That's cool ,they met the sealing of the engine ,that's what that orange sealer is ,its to seal any
leaks in which will hender your tuning!
Does those wheels rub on the inside ?
Those are the Losi claws ,but those rims rubbed mine so I used the tires with aluminum rims ,
I like the tires because they are soft an give plenty traction for massive hill climb!

No, they don't rub but since they're a mismatched set I'll be replacing them with something that actually looks good as well as finding a nice body to go on it

there are hop ups for the 4.6, just a bit harder to find available, i have the 4.6 as well. look at GPM for aluminum(skid plates, bumpers, hub carriers shock towers) RPM makes hub carriers and a few other odds and ends. FYI the HPI 4.6k motor does mount to these and fit well as well as the axial engines (if you can find them anymore. when i picked mine up it had the HPI engine and i replaced with an axial .28 spec 2s.
These are really fun to bash with. i did put in the Forward only conversion. main things that i have noticed break in them is the center drive shafts. (weirdly only the fronts on mine). gone through 2 of em. rear one is still the original.
most parts are compatible between the 4.6 and the 8.0 that i know of. transmission is different and spur mount.
do invest in bearings for the hub carriers think they were 6 x 12 x 4.
i got a steel spur gear/slipper for the truck back in the day (bear in mind this was 8+ years ago) but i don't recall who made it. for some reason i am thinking it was from a t-maxx. but look into that further if possible.
FYI T-Maxx/E-Maxx shocks do mount up to these have the original pro-line powerstrokes on mine.

Last edited:
I had an orion wasp 18 way back in the day. Probably not the same. It tuned well and ran fine. I had it in a 2wd t-maxx. Had a weird hole in the side of the piston, which I put in backwards when I was taking it apart and sealing it. Ran like butt. Then I put the piston in the right way and it ran fine after that.

there are hop ups for the 4.6, just a bit harder to find available, i have the 4.6 as well. look at GPM for aluminum(skid plates, bumpers, hub carriers shock towers) RPM makes hub carriers and a few other odds and ends. FYI the HPI 4.6k motor does mount to these and fit well as well as the axial engines (if you can find them anymore. when i picked mine up it had the HPI engine and i replaced with an axial .28 spec 2s.
These are really fun to bash with. i did put in the Forward only conversion. main things that i have noticed break in them is the center drive shafts. (weirdly only the fronts on mine). gone through 2 of em. rear one is still the original.
most parts are compatible between the 4.6 and the 8.0 that i know of. transmission is different and spur mount.
do invest in bearings for the hub carriers think they were 6 x 12 x 4.
i got a steel spur gear/slipper for the truck back in the day (bear in mind this was 8+ years ago) but i don't recall who made it. for some reason i am thinking it was from a t-maxx. but look into that further if possible.
FYI T-Maxx/E-Maxx shocks do mount up to these have the original pro-line powerstrokes on mine.
I was able to determine the Spur Gear/Slipper for the MGT4.6, it is an RRP product.
https://www.amazon.com/MGT-DOUBLE-DISC-SLIPPER-KIT-PLATE/dp/B000H6HPL4

its funny you say that, i do remember my trip into the LHS when it was still around, and he had recommended me a higher tooth CB, and all he had was a 19T. i had one tank on it then had to put it up, and there she sat, dont really know how well of a combo it was yet.