New to me Associated MGT .21R Revival

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D3MON

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I Have a thread for my first MGT so I figured id start a thread for the newly acquired one that i am going to be fixing back up and get back to working order.
off the bat the truck is missing a shock per corner, it is missing the spur, luckily i had bought an extra RRP for the first MGT, and missing a few wheel hexes (probably from shipping as it was kinda sup par shipping but it is a large truck.
transmission still does have reverse, so going to get a FOC for that, or figure out the tube and pin lengths and make one.
top view left side.jpg

rims and tires, they are 14mm hex and i have no idea what they are, they are about 4.5" rim diameter, and about 6.5" tall. i definitely want something smaller. (may go truggy/muggy type build).
has RPM front upper and lower A-Arms, happy about that.
engine is a .21R, has decent compression surprisingly, hardly any pinch though but given how old these are and it was definitely run a few times.
Motor.jpg

servos seem to be stock (has a duratrax sx100 for the forward/reverse)
only came with a receiver, it is a 2.4ghz 4ch but no marking as to what brand on it.
receiver.jpg

Top view right side.jpg

and for some reason it has a different set of motor mount holes in it? its right up against the chassis rails so i have no idea what they were planning but oh well.
interesting holes.jpg

oh and best part is the cool prop it has on it!
propeller mod.jpg

(no joke its a propeller)

hope to get this thing running soon!
Thanks guys for checking it out!
-D3MON

Last edited:
@D3MON doesn't look to be in horrible shape, but could use a serious de-greasing cleaning.

Lol....whats up with those xtra holes ,they did not need to do that ,as they could have got the front to back
adjustment solely out of the mount itself ,just by loosening up the engine screws!......LOL

The Mgt mount itself is slotted!....:hehe::hehe::hehe:

yeah that was kind of my consensus, i guess i have aerodynamic holes now! must be for airflow to the prop!!!

yeah that was kind of my consensus, i guess i have aerodynamic holes now! must be for airflow to the prop!!!

When they did that ,they weaken the existing holes ,you might have issues if the truck was bashed heavy!

You can always install a real thin 1/16 metal plate like they did with the 8.0 version ,the factory used
a thin steal plate ,it is a different size engine mount though!

I seen one Mgt chassy on Ebay ,but the person wants way toooooo much for it ,they bumped their head!.....:hehe:

They want $60 bucks for it ,not worth it!

i know it could have weakened it a bit, on the inner side, dont think the outer side would have weakened too much as that vertical plate is between them, might fab up a reinforcement plate to be safe, i don't really know how necessary it will be with the .21R motor. if i bump up to a .28 definitely will want some reinforcements. going to be cleaning all the parts today after work. can't wait to get it cleaned to start putting it back together and tear open the transmission/engine etc.

i know it could have weakened it a bit, on the inner side, dont think the outer side would have weakened too much as that vertical plate is between them, might fab up a reinforcement plate to be safe, i don't really know how necessary it will be with the .21R motor. if i bump up to a .28 definitely will want some reinforcements. going to be cleaning all the parts today after work. can't wait to get it cleaned to start putting it back together and tear open the transmission/engine etc.

Could use some bigger diameter flat washer!

On my basher ,I use Philip head weed eater screws ,they are Philip & flat head type ,LOL ....I call them morphadite screws!...:hehe:

well think i went through a prehistoric zone, but i found an MGT in the dirt!!
cleaned motor.jpg
front shock tower.jpg
Rear A-arm.jpg
rear shock tower.jpg
underside front skid.jpg
underside rear skid.jpg

turned out pretty clean not a whole nothing really broken, transmission is good, definitely used but no stripped gears, amazingly enough one of the center CVD drive pins was snapped right beneath the threads, still wouldnt let it spin on the cvd. but swapped a new one in.
motor turned out good, pull start cord is gone, one way bearings are good. the pull start cover bolts threads were all either shattered off or stripped out, but the original owner had some longer bolts with nuts that seem to hold it together, will work for now. should need a few wheel hexes and wheel nuts, tear out the diffs and clean, and install a sput, and might be able to fire it up.

Last edited:
the Robinson Racing Slipper Clutch assembly does come with the plates, and bearing. i will need to find a spring and nut though.

Thanks for saying something though! forgot that it didnt have the spring/nut, the nut would be easy enough to find, but the spring will have to order. found a kit with bushing/spring/nut for like 10$ though will have to get that along with some bearings and wheel hexes!!
for now going to stick with the 14MM hex i think. already have the tires for it. i like the idea of the GPM hexes (already has 2 of 4 of these on it) but can be tight getting off.

have the slipper clutch kit, carrier bearings, and diff bearings in the mail! gonna run down to the Hobby shop and see what they have for shocks, may just get 4 Maxx shocks if they have em, or if by chance they have the AE ones, am looking at a decent set of buggy shocks but from what i can tell they are going to be like 20mm diameter.

have the slipper clutch kit, carrier bearings, and diff bearings in the mail! gonna run down to the Hobby shop and see what they have for shocks, may just get 4 Maxx shocks if they have em, or if by chance they have the AE ones, am looking at a decent set of buggy shocks but from what i can tell they are going to be like 20mm diameter.

I would think that any 1/8 scale rear shock would work ,I pretty much used mine up ,I used my last 4 Mgt.
shocks on my Slash!

You can take one shock off ,an take it with you for a comparison!
You can also get a more stiffer spring!

i had a rustler rear shock with the red maxx spring on it, was only like a 1/4" shorter, the ones i was finding for buggy i dont know if they will clear the A-Arms, i guess its only like 16$ a pair, they are 110m long so about same as stockers. i have no idea the compression on them so going to start with 2 pairs. the shocks on the truck are the red and gold springs.

i had a rustler rear shock with the red maxx spring on it, was only like a 1/4" shorter, the ones i was finding for buggy i dont know if they will clear the A-Arms, i guess its only like 16$ a pair, they are 110m long so about same as stockers. i have no idea the compression on them so going to start with 2 pairs. the shocks on the truck are the red and gold springs.

Lol ....No telling what springs those are ,The red is usually a stock spring for Traxxas ,how ever ,a red spring for the Mgt.
signifies heavy duty ,the copper spring ,I think .is between soft an heavy duty for the Mgt.'s!

I never went with the red ,because at the time ,it didn't fit the color of my truck ,so I went with the copper as
the blue is too soft!

well, i feel stupid... got some wheel nuts and installed the tires/wheels, push the truck and its locking up, so pull the trans out in case i messed something up putting it back together (never had a MGT without a FOC). pull it apart, everything looked normal, closed it back up, reinstalled it. was doing it again... then i looked up and realized the brake was too tight... either way got all the tires on it. LHS was closed before i could make it there. going there tomorrow, gonna grab the lady an rc too tho! we are getting an Arrma Granite 4x4 lol

update*
went to the LHS, they had a FOC for the MGT in stock, so picked that up for 16$, had some T-Maxx shocks, so going to use 4 of those on the front for now. bit shorter shocks but will be alright for now. have a few of the side headers there too which i am going to eventually get. did not have a slipper clutch hardware set so have to wait for the mail to come in. @cbaker65, have you run these .21Rs? what glow plug do you typically use if so? os#8?

update*
went to the LHS, they had a FOC for the MGT in stock, so picked that up for 16$, had some T-Maxx shocks, so going to use 4 of those on the front for now. bit shorter shocks but will be alright for now. have a few of the side headers there too which i am going to eventually get. did not have a slipper clutch hardware set so have to wait for the mail to come in. @cbaker65, have you run these .21Rs? what glow plug do you typically use if so? os#8?

The only 21 that I have is a Ofna hyper ,an I can't remember whats in it ,but I think that I ran the #8 in my
Ae .28 engine ,ran great in my area ,I don't know what plugs I got or run now ,LOL.....I really don't go through
plugs too much ,an have not had to buy any in about 5 yrs ,I think I may have an R-3 or 5 in my 5.9 right now ,
Id have to go look!

Back