New to hobby - best electric RC under $200

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LikeMike10

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I’m new to the hobby what is the best electric RC under $200. I’ve seen brushless are great. I just plan on using it around the neighborhood for now. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone - I’m new to the hobby what is the best electric RC under $200. I’ve seen brushless are great. I just plan on using it around the neighborhood for now. Thank you!
One the I’m looking at. What do you think ?

Hosim RC Car 1:16 Scale 2847 Brushless​

Your best bet would be to buy a Traxxas ready to run Stampede or Rustler. It's going to be a brushed car but you can always upgrade it later with a brushless motor. Just make sure anything you buy will have Parts availability and upgrade options that you can purchase readily.

Thanks for your recommendation. I keep seeing a lot of stampede and rustler recommendations out there. Which one are you thinking? Also, how hard is it to change it to brushless seeing that I’m a beginner? Also, what are your thoughts about 4x4 vs 2wd. Do you recommend buying new or used. I’m think buying new since it’s my first one - what’s a good place for purchasing? Sorry about all the questions - thanks

Last edited:
I would not recommend anything smaller than 1/10 scale for general RCing, unless strictly running on smooth surfaces. Opt for a 2wd RC over a 4wd simply because of budget restraints. Pick a style of RC that catches your eye... buggy, stadium truck, short course truck, monster truck, or something else? Everything has pros & cons to them.

A stadium truck, or short course truck is the direction I'd point somebody in. I'd lean towards the stadium truck side of things because they are a bit lighter, and handling is nimbler. If you like a higher stance RCs that will lead to more rollovers, so be it. Get what pleases your eye. Upgrade as money becomes available.

Thanks for all of that info. Taking that advice and I’m leaning towards the traxxas rustler. I do like the 1/10 size as well. Any recommendations on the different models of the rustlers? And best place to purchase?

Probably traxxas.com also rustler, bandit, and slash have same frame it's tires body and some minor suspension that's the difference. Also price

Last edited:
Thanks for all of that info. Taking that advice and I’m leaning towards the traxxas rustler. I do like the 1/10 size as well. Any recommendations on the different models of the rustlers? And best place to purchase?
My son bought a new 2WD Rustler at Hobby town about 2 months ago. It came with extra pinion gear for more speed and he has since bought Traxxas road tires and 2 extra Li-po batteries. It's lots of fun and nothing has broke yet, lol. Whatever you pick have fun and 2 or more ups the excitement.

If you can bump your budget up to $230 you can get an Arrma Granite Mega 4x4. It comes rtr you just need 4 AA batteries for the remote https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-550-brushed-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4202V3.html

But if you are trying to stick below $200 I would look at any of the brushed Traxxas or Ecx vehicles, do note that the Ecx vehicles are mostly only available in hobby stores only.

Another option is the Granite Voltage Mega @ $99.99 you could possibly get 2 if you wanted https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...monster-truck-rtr-blue-black/ARA102727T2.html

Googled some stuff looks like rustler and bandit have same frame slash has different so yeah I'm an idiot but that's ok

Last edited:
If you're not dead set on a monster truck, Arrma also has the Typhon buggy and Senton short course truck for $230 each. My opinion, for a beginner, just because of how easy and simple Arrma MEGA vehicles are to operate and repair, they are the best choice. ECX vehicles can only be found in store, which doesn't make them a bad vehicle, just harder to get if you dont have a hobby shop nearby. Traxxas has a huge following, as well as easy access to parts almost everywhere, but, i have heard constant stories of their vehicles needing almost out of the box upgrades to make them durable, which can get pricey quick. I have never personally owned a Traxxas though, so that is strictly from what i have heard from actual owners. Redcat Racing vehicles are a bit hit or miss. I have gotten them and they were durable, and i have also gotten them where they break if you breathe on them, but, one i have had good luck with are the Blackout vehicles, and they are under your budget. They only come 4WD though. Unless you have a nearby hobby shop that stocks them, parts for Redcat vehicles usually can only be found online. They are also a bit more complicated to work on, especially if you are upgrading the motor and ESC.

Thank you everyone for your input. Honestly though reading all of this doing my research. Under $200 is my goal but if I have to spend 20-30 over my budget I would do it. I’ve def seen arrma’s and know it’s up there as well. When I started this thread I knew there would be a couple different kinds out there and personal preference but now it’s getting hard hahah

Thank you everyone for your input. Honestly though reading all of this doing my research. Under $200 is my goal but if I have to spend 20-30 over my budget I would do it. I’ve def seen arrma’s and know it’s up there as well. When I started this thread I knew there would be a couple different kinds out there and personal preference but now it’s getting hard hahah
The advice i usually give anyone looking to just start out is, sit down and ask yourself a few questions, such as, what type of vehicle (2WD or 4WD, buggy, truggy, monster truck, short course truck), crawler, rock racer, or basher/racer, what are you looking to do with it (bashing, racing, a mix of both), brushed or brushless, are you looking for something that you will spend more time running, or are you looking for something that you are comfortable repairing and learning on (yes, i know, most would say repairing is part of it, but, i have seen some people who, because they had to repair it, lost interest), and then make a list of pros and cons for each question, as well as any other questions that are important to you. While there wont be a eureka, this is the one moment, it will weed out ones you overall arent interested in. As for personal preference and opinion, always take it with a grain of salt. One person might say this will be the best vehicle for you, and a dozen others will say that vehicle or brand are junk.

With the last post also something that is easy to find replacement parts for

Maverick Quantum Flux XT think of it as a budget Traxxass Rustler 4x4.
£159.99 gbp. BL ESC/3300kv BL Motor,
Front UJ, Oversized tyres . Performs Great on 2s. Can run 3s . I bought one and I’m impressed
For the Money, it’s a Known Brand don’t need to worry about Spares from Dodgy Chinese websites that change their inventory nearly every week.

I’m narrowing it down to these. Not looking to do any racing. More bashing a where I live in the burbs. Also, looking for something that is easy to work with - not complicated. Willing to do $230. Looks wise I do like rustler. Also, I live in Chicago and I was thinking of trying it on snow.

$230

Traxxas 37054-1-REDX Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Truck Ready-To-Race TQ 2 Channel 2.4Hz​

ARRMA 1/10 Granite 4X4 V3 MEGA 550 Brushed Monster Truck RTR, Red, ARA4202V3T2​

ARRMA 1/10 SENTON 4X4 V3 MEGA 550 Brushed Short Course RC Truck RTR​

ARRMA 1/10 Typhon 4X4 V3 MEGA 550 Brushed Buggy RC Truck RTR​

$269
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Short Course Remote Control RC Truck, 2WD, 1/10 Scale, Red

Last edited:
Ok, out of that lot I’d go with the Typhon.
granite High centre gravity roll over.
Senton Sloppy Handling
2wd Traxxas Slash difficult to handle
Those are brushed Models You jave mentioned there all ok with Upgrades and Zr he BLX parts are Interchangeable making Upgrading easy. Typhon/Senton Same chassis
Granite short and high . It’s Okay still 48/49moh out the box (BLX) Version.
don’t know how if it’s available in the US or IF you like this but it’s extremely good Value at least I have one it’s not bad, https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maveri...wd-stadium-truck-blue/rc-car-products/1330755

Kyosho makes a few trucks that are in your budget. They are a little better on quality, from what I have seen.

Attachments

• 46B214C0-16E0-4E9C-B71C-56292E01CF24.png
    46B214C0-16E0-4E9C-B71C-56292E01CF24.png
    437 KB · Views: 77
  • 70C6A143-8A35-4ED4-96A6-EE2A67BF0568.png
    70C6A143-8A35-4ED4-96A6-EE2A67BF0568.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 59