New S-Maxx Owner - here are my (newbie) questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexico

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First of all, thanks to everybody for the valuable information contained in this forum. It has helped me a lot in breaking in my S-Maxx (which is my first ever nitro RC).

I have attempted to find answers to these topics by searching the forum, so I apologize if they have already been aswered somewhere else.

1. I bought a 5-cell battery pack for the receiver. Not knowing how to install it (cable was too short to connect directly to the receiver), I cut the original battery holder cables, and soldered them to the battery cables. Then I covered the soldered cables with heat-shrinking tube thingies (whatever they're called), and stuffed them in the battery box. The question is: am I running any risk by having the batttery cables soldered to the switch cables? I can't see why this would be a problem, but then again, I'm 100% newbie. =)

2. During my first few runs after break-in, the head reached 372 or so degrees (ouch!). I only found this out because my friend had a temp gauge around (I bought my own today). Performance temp on the 2.5 is supposed to be 300-320 (even though it appears that everybody around here likes to run it cooler). Yesterday was also really hot (95 or so) and humid as hell, which of course didn't help, and on top of that, I was running the S-Maxx on grass for a while. One more thing: I checked the temp on an almost-empty tank, so I was running leaner at that point. The truck is not showing any trouble, or at least my untrained eyes/ears/nose don't detect anything wrong with it (freaking thing is still pulling wheelies on the pavement, so I can't think I fried it too bad). Is there anything on the obvious side I should be checking for after having reached such ridiculous temperatures? Only thing I checked was the glowplug, which seemed fine to me. Other than that, I didn't know what to check except for overall performance.

3. Yesterday I added a fuel filter. My friend told me it didn't matter which way to put it. Later on I found out there is a right way, so I cleaned it and turned it around. This is a Patriot filter, and when you unscrew it, the inside is basically a long filtering tube. Just double-checking: the filter should be installed so that the "bag" (filter itself) catches the crap, right?

4. Today I installed a reverse upgrade kit (yeah, I know, I could've bought the T-Maxx for the same price), and noticed that now the S-Maxx jerks a little when starting to move. At first I thought my mixture had gone to hell, and started messing with the LSN. It took me a while to find out by later searching this site that the T-Maxx (with reverse by default) does this, and that it is not necessarily a problem. I just wanted to confirm this behavior with T-Maxx owners. It basically jerks a little when you gas it slowly (rocks maybe 2-3 times before fully engaging), either forward or reverse. I'm assuming it's the added clutch, but then again, I got a big newbie hat on right now.

5. Time flies when you're having fun. That's a problem here, because I have let the tank run out of gas a couple of times, and that can't be good. My questions is: how bad is it really? Should I worry, even though no apparent side effects are noticeable at this point?

6. So... I left the fuel can open for maybe 10-15 minutes when it was 85 or so outside. Is the fuel ruined? Will it give me trouble with the tuning? I don't really feel like wasting it, but I will if it can be a problem.

OK, I'm done. For now. =) I haven't searched the site much regarding questions #5 and 6, so please don't bother to answer those if the answers are readily available somewhere in the forum (I'll search for them tomorrow).

I have to say I am having a blast with the truck, and I can't wait for the engine to "age", and for me to work the minor kinks out of tuning the thing. I'm only doing this on a recreational level (just bashing it I guess), so I hope it doesn't turn into my wallet's worst enemy.

Thanks again for all the helpful information posted here. You guys seem like a nice bunch.

Peace!

Mexico

first off...welcome to the site...
I am just as new here...but I can TRY to answer a couple of the questions, but I am sure the knowledgeable guys will chime in soon....

1. how will you charge the battery if you soldered the ends to the switch?? I may have missed part of it but that is my first question...

2. did it have a trail of smoke when you are running it?? that is the best thing to see...if you do not have a trail of smoke...its too lean typically...i dont mean fogging for bugs trail...but a visible trail....

3. Yes...the bad will catch the crap....I still have to get one for my ride as well...

4. I do not know...

5. I run mine out at the end of each set as well...from everything I have read and learned from the guys here and other forums, it will not hurt it as long as you don't slam the throttle when you know its running out of fuel...but as I stated, I run mine empty quite often.

6. I dont think it killed the fuel but it is not a good idea to do. Make it a habit of filling your bottle, and closing the jug immediately...as long as you keep it a habit you will be better off...I keep my fuel in a place that will shorten the life as well, but it is because I have limited space right now...

good luck and it sounds like your having a blast....more power to ya!!!!

Thanks, Aftrshck

Regarding the battery, it's soldered in for good. So until I need a new one, that one's staying there - it wouldn't take long to take it off, though; a minute or so. When I bought the battery, I didn't know (and I still don't) I needed to get anything else, and since the battery cable was too short to reach the receiver, my only option was to connect it to the switch. So... how are you supposed to install the receiver battery pack? =)

I always made sure there was smoke coming out of the thing, but not having a reference, I didn't know how much smoke was enough.

M

SMaxxin: Yup, that's exactly what I needed. There's only one knowledgeable guy at my LHS, and both times I was there, he wasn't. The gal working there was dangerous - she was pretty clueless, but she felt obligated to answer my questions. Not the best answers, as you can imagine, so I stopped asking.

Aftrshck: I soldered the switch cables to the battery cables without cutting off the battery connector. The connector sits fine in the battery box charge jack. In other words, the battey cables split into both the switchand the connector.

I'm gonna buy one of those cables when I buy another battey pack. I think I've spent enough money for now on the beast. Worth every pennie. =)

M

Gas

I'm no expert on these r/c's as I am new to this game also, but I do have a very mechanical background. I have been wondering since I bought my T-maxx why they tell me not to let it run out of gas but tell you to pinch the line to shut it off, in esscence running it out of fuel. I have not let mine run out of fuel yet but I can't imagine it's going to do too much damage as long as it's not at a high rpm when it does run out.

As far as your filter goes, if it's the porous bronze stone type, you want the fuel entering from the outside, and the hollow side going to the engine. When you clean it, you want to physically SEE the crud on the outside, where it can be cleaned off. That also allows you to shoot an airgun into the opening to blast any dirt off it.
If it's just a flat screen filter, it doesn't matter which way it goes.

Thanks, Rolex. I think I may have it then backwards right now, and it was originally in the correct position. :doh: Oh, well, if this engine doesn't last me too long because of all my screw-ups, I may just have to replace it with a 3.3 :mex:

Shoshe,

I guess as long as the gas tank is clean and it doesn't have crap at the bottom, it shouldn't be too bad. Problem is, I just forget to check how much gas is left, so there's always a chance I may be gunning it when it runs out of gas. I should set a timer or sumpthin'...

M

Wot

I find myself gunning it most of the time, so I agree chances are if I run out of gas I'll be wide open. My problem is that I can't seem to go through a tank of gas w/o some kind of problem. Most of the time it gets hot faster than it runs out of gas so I just fill it while I wait for it to cool so I can get it started again.