New HPI Rs4 3 Type ss....Need help..!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddyse

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just ordered a new Hpi RS4 3 type ss. This package comes with:

- A New Nitro Star SS Engine
- 2 speed transmission!
- High-flow tube header and Tuned Pipe
- Durable shaft drive system with full-time 4WD
- Sealed metal bevel gear differentials
- Tuned front differential for improved handling
- 2.5mm countersunk purple anodized 6065 aluminum chassis
- Covered radio tray for easy cleaning
- Full set of 18 rubber-sealed ball bearings throughout the car
- Adjustable turnbuckles
- Precut foam bumper
- Split-6 wheels with D-Compound X-Pattern Radial tyres

I am new in this field, don't really know the real break in process apart from the factory recommended way. And you guys must have notice it doesn't come with any radio equipment, what is the recommended radio equipment by you guys?? Is there anything i need to add before i actually runs it?? Please give all kinds of advices that you think it will helps me in getting into this field.

Thanks.....:doh:

oddyse, first off welcome to RCNT. Second, congrats on your new purchase. Before you even start it pick up a fuel filter, they don't come with one but imo it is a necessity. I am still a firm believer in following the manufacturers break in instructions. Read the instructions, then read them again before doing anything.

As far as a radio it all depends on your budget, I use the JR XS3 synth radio, but it is a little costly, about $240. It does come with a receiver and two servos as well. Let us know what you price range is, and we will have a better idea of which radio will be best for you in your budget.

The JR xr2 is a great choice as well, I have one and run two cars on it, could also be more in your budget range! $100
ncnitro is right on break in, unless you know how and have patience with heat cycle break in, stick with the factory break in,its been tested and proven by hpi plus if anything goes wrong in the process hpi would be more likley to help you knowing you broke it in by their specs!

Last edited:
I just got my RS4 3 SS a bunch of months ago, but i can't get mine to work but we're getting there, if you want, read my thread entitled "Engine starting problem" which we've since solved but i post all my problems on it. I'm not saying that all RS4 3's have starting problems, it's just that i'm new to the nitro scene, and my dad isn't and he was dumbfounded.

Also, the pullstart that came with mine has broken at least half-dozen times. so i suggest you get HPI's RotoZip thing-amajigy or what ever the hell it's called. The reason is because the pullstart spring is very brittle, and will break if you use too much force, and you need this force to start the car if you choose to keep the pullstart.

However, even with all the problems, including screws getting lost, dogbones flying out when i hit a curb at WOT (wide open throttle, just in case you didn't know), the car runs really fast, and i still need to get the engine tuned right. once i get the optimum combination i'll post it on my "Engine starting problem" thread.

If you want aftermarket parts when you've owned the car for a while, you can find parts for it from GPM Racing, website: www.gpmracing.com.hk . If you have any more questions, let me know.

PS Welcome to RCNitrotalk.com!

G-Thang

Originally posted by gthang

Also, the pullstart that came with mine has broken at least half-dozen times. so i suggest you get HPI's RotoZip thing-amajigy or what ever the hell it's called. The reason is because the pullstart spring is very brittle, and will break if you use too much force, and you need this force to start the car if you choose to keep the pullstart.

gthang, this means you are pulling too hard on the pull starter. It is not a lawnmower, short fast pulls are best for starting these engines. You can also pull the cord out completely, as far out as it will come, do this easily, then take a sharpie marker and color the last few inces of the cord black, this way when you are pull starting it you will know when you are at the end of your rope and adjust how far you pull it. This will prevent alot of recoil damage.

Yeah, my dad told me the same thing, but when the thing can't start the way you tell me, i have to pull fast and furiously...

good coice on the SS i have the rtr so.. ull have to do some building before i get it running but ull need Fuel , fuel bottle, glow plug starter , to get it running, also buy after run oil and use it after each run and if u are not going to run it for awhile. and the first hop-up should be a fuel filter and throttle return spring. also get a failsafe too. ull need tools , paint , CA glue , grease ,and a good sharp xacto knofe for cutting the body. good luck and enjoy ur new car .:bling:

Alright guys. Shall take the advice to get those stuff that Nitroz28..hehe. Wanna get the car going as soon as possible. Can't wait. I am not sure bout the budget. Money is not a problem. As long the radio is worth the price i pay it. Anywhere radio can last for life as long i dun throw it hard at the floor :doh: when i get mad over driving the car..shoudn't worry...hehehe..

I will probably look into the jr radio that u guys was saying. Thanks guys..will keep posting during the progress of building up the car and break in.

I got the JR XS3 cause I have multiple cars running on it.. well actually only the RS4 3ss and the Savage... the SNR is on another just cheap Futaba T2PH... it's okay for a beginer.. but yeah I really enjoy my SS.. and you got a good car..

Yup, i guess i got a good one. I was told that it was one of the best .12 pull start engine you can get in the market. I am currently in the break-in process.

i guess i am sticking with the factory recommended method of break-in. Damn...the car is fast, is like its on 1st gear and....zzzzzrooooommmm....!!!!:madface:

Recommended hop ups. At least from where I am sitting. You will want to upgrade the brake disc that plastic one that comes with the kit is crap. Also look into a set of pro linear springs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWB80&P=K

You are going to get tired of the car spinning out on you. Whether a parking lot basher or racer you will get tired of it. Also a set of upgraded tires would be good too. I have done extensive upgrading to mine and I'm still looking at what's next.