New ESC installed and now I need to give my Stampede 2wd a push to get it going

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I'm running on my stampede 2wd with a 19t pinion gear and a 38t spur gear. Stock differential and a metal idle gear.

Yeah, I ordered that blue ESC. But I switched out for the black and red one that I posted with the parts list. Thank you for the chart, the one on the back of the programming card is waaaay too hard to read.

View attachment 151736

View attachment 151737

View attachment 151738
That "F" in the F540 motor designation stands for finned. The extra space needed to make those fins reduces the size of the rotor inside. F540 motors are actually 380 motors shoved into a finned cans. Gear them correctly, they can be quite good... if quality components are used. I would only recommend those finned motors on lighter weight 2wd RCs.

Just keep an eye on temps when trying to find that motor's gearing sweet spot.

So I upgraded my stock ESC and brushed motor with an ESC and brushless motor. Then I broke a part of the front suspension when I crashed. I got the new parts fixed the suspension, but the rc wouldn't go. I bought a replacement ESC cause when I tried this other ESC that I mistakenly bought, because it wasn't big enough, the motor ran well and I figured it was probably the upgraded ESC I bought that had been burnt out. The new ESC, a 120A made by fuwinkr, worked good to run the motor sitting on my lap, but when I brought the rc outside and put it down to start driving it around, but the rc wouldn't get it going unless I gave it a little push. I saw on other forums that it could be fixed by reprogramming ESC, but I have no programming card, though I've seen that the configuration of the ESC can be reprogrammed just with inputs on the transmitter. Can anyone give me a hand to fix having to give the rc a push to get it to start driving? If so, it'd be much appreciated, Thanks in advance!
There a few of those super low budget "blue 120A" speed controls out there on the interwebs that use/try to copy an old discontinued Hobbywing XeRun 120A design (pictured below) that was popular before all the new boosting/timing options revolution became about.
1662247625227.png

Within the realm of fake/copies of those "blue 120A" speed controls, there are good ones, and there are ones that are poo. If you truly want a 120A ESC with a great reputation... Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 If I had to take a guess, it's probably the same old XeRun technology just dress in different Quicrun colors.
1662249460013.png

That "F" in the F540 motor designation stands for finned. The extra space needed to make those fins reduces the size of the rotor inside. F540 motors are actually 380 motors shoved into a finned cans. Gear them correctly, they can be quite good... if quality components are used. I would only recommend those finned motors on lighter weight 2wd RCs.

Just keep an eye on temps when trying to find that motor's gearing sweet spot.
Good catch. I didnt even realize that about the motor until you said it. That is not going to be a good motor in a Stampede imo. I would switch to a true 540 sized motor like a 3800kv Castle motor

I run a velenion from a slash 4x4 in my 2wd stampede and it works great. A little overkill but geared right you can bash it all day and never get it hot.

Back