New build coming up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Its finally done????

Hello, my name is Eddie and I'm a crawlaholic. :confused:

I believe the crawlers are probably the most addictive rc I've ever came across. I've had alot of stuff and I'm addicted to crawling without ever actually having one..... other than the old school clodbuster I had years ago. I took half the shocks off it to get it to articulate a bit better and climbed anything I could get it to.

I'm looking for advise and have read ALOT of information here and some other places. I've pm'd some and I figured a public place for input would be best.

I plan on building a 2.2 class crawler, with the MOA setup. I don't have alot to put into this at this moment, but I have some friends that owe some $$$ to me and I'm planning on cashing in on that. Might even sell my t-maxx that I'm rebuilding right now.

I'm fine with used USABLE parts. Most every r\c I've ever had was of that variety and I've had a blast with them all.

I want to be able to have a competitive rig once done and I'd rather not do alot of trial and error on parts. I understand that a low COG is imperative, I also understand that more weight on the front axle is better for climbing. I know super soft foams (like the memory foams) is important, as is a good tire. I know that high ground clearance isnt as much of a factor as good driving and that a lower ground clearance translates into lower COG as well. I understand what DIG does and what its uses are, but not exactly how it works in a MOA setup. I know its electronic, but I don't know if it just cuts power to the axle and the gearing and motor hold the tires still (I think thats how it works) or if it is some sort of actual lockup of the motor/axle assy.

I've heard of people gettin 2hr+ runtimes out of their rigs using LiPo packs. That really appeals to me, plus it gives me an exuse to buy a new charger(been wanting to build a brushless/LiPo Stampede).

Ok that was alot, but I figured I'd let you in on what I'm sure of and what I don't know alot about.

Let the education begin.

I found this for a chassis

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-25-off-TCS-Crawlers-Berg-Chassis-Kit-Not-for-the-AX10-Scorpion-p-16937.html

But I don't know much about Delrin, doesn't seem to be metal, is it a stout plastic or polymer? EDIT: after doing some more research I'm going to go ahead and order that chassis since its on sale and apparently Delrin is some tough stuff.

Last edited:
heres a little list u get u started on

axles: berg 2.2 or bully dogs or hotracing
get u two 45t motors
a good esc mamba,tekin
a nice 3s lipo2000 mah or sumthing like that
good set of mayhem beadlocks and some tires
losi shocks or traxxas big bores
good servo
and a bec set to 6.0v

thats should get u started

my build list for my berg set-up I'm useing this combo to start with
http://kamikazekustoms.com/packages.html

if u look threw the crawler section on here there are a few MOA builds

if u need any more help pm me ill try my best to answer any questions

i bought the chassis. I'm impatient sometimes. I may try my hand and building my own links if I can find a somewhat local place to buy the Delrin rods. I have access to a drill press at work so drilling them straight should not be a problem.

DSCN1462.jpg

I'd like to mount most all of my electronics\battery on the axles\upper links. I've seen a plate that mounts on the triangulated upper link, but wouldn't that hurt the articulation? How much is actually feasible to mount on the axle? I'm going to try to go for the lowest possible COG.

Last edited:
rollinlow, thanks again!

Am I right in thinking that more weight on the front is better? I know the steering servo will be up front, does this leave any room for other parts to mount? Would mounting the ESC on top of the servo be viable?

Good luck on the build bro.. where are you getting your parts? have you ever been to Ridge Runners Rc and Hobby? if so what is it like?

RedNeXx, so far the only thing I've ordered is the chassis, I ordered it straight from TCS. I've never heard of Ridge Runners, where are they at? Did you get your site setup yet?

site is online i can't speak much about it only in private message or the Rolex police will get me.. but its over by wythville

that battrey is a 2s and the discharge rate 3C continuous which is low

i would go with something like 3s 2000 mah with a higher discharge
sumthing like this they are out of stock but u get the idea
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=234&cat=22&page=1

I'm not the best at lipo picking lol but there are a few other guys on here that know alot more then i do

also which axles u going to go with I'm guessing the bergs?
ckrc has then for 198 pluss shipping

Last edited:
yeah eddy you are right, you want more wieght up front, i run 9 oz in each front wheel and 4 in the back wheels...
so far i think you have a great idea of what you will need, it will be pricey but you can use cheaper stuff that will work fine, the integy motors are CHEAP and work great imo, I'm running 45t and thats a good medium i think.
u wrote you might try making your own links, you could but a links kit is really cheap and they are perfect and painted so you dont have to trial and error a bunch trying to get what you need.
I've said it a bunch but i'll say it again, on tires, try some of the new ones like the grabbers or rovers or even the new prolines because they are a taller tire and your wieght is gonna be so low that you can afford to be alittle taller.
you will need shocks and springs too, the losi's are awesome but pricey so you can just run some stock axial shocks till you can afford better. run softer springs up front.
if you were to buy the stage 2 mod kit from ck it comes with alot of the hardware you will need.

rollinlow, amain hobbies has the berg axles for $189. So today starts then "When you going to have that $$$$ you owe me" talks with a couple of friends.

slowngreen, About the shocks. I've read alot of people running the traxxas big bores. If i happen to already have 4 of them are they good enough to start out with (with a spring and oil change I'm assuming), or would it be money (for springs and oil vs. 4 new axial or losi shocks ready to go) better spent on new shocks.

I was kind of hoping to hear that about the taller tires, I'd like to go extremely low COG but still have clearance to drive over rocks and was thinking about the taller tires I've seen in some of the videos.

I know that there are a whole bunch of them out there, and it might be a bit overdone, but I want to mount the HPI bug body on my rig when done. Looks like the round body seems to help when in a rollover situation and seems like it can almost be mounted so that the tires are almost as tall as the roof.

Last edited:
yep those shocks work great.....and sure the bug body is over done BUT it performs very very well...

I'm running traxxas big bores on my berg but I'm goin to test a few different spring and oil set-ups after its all done

since u have the big bores i would just run them then u save 50 bucks lol

the bug body is awesome for crawling i have one ill run for comps

the rovers i hear are awesome when it comes to tires i plan on getting a set but i need other stuff first

so far I have a chassis (in the mail) and 4 shocks..... Wooo Hooo! just about there....lol

i bought the chassis. I'm impatient sometimes. I may try my hand and building my own links if I can find a somewhat local place to buy the Delrin rods. I have access to a drill press at work so drilling them straight should not be a problem.

DSCN1462.jpg

I'd like to mount most all of my electronics\battery on the axles\upper links. I've seen a plate that mounts on the triangulated upper link, but wouldn't that hurt the articulation? How much is actually feasible to mount on the axle? I'm going to try to go for the lowest possible COG.

Not on a 3 link but it will on a 4 link set up.

I recieved my chassis today, I didn't realize it didn't come with the spacers for the chassis plates, my bad. Looks like a well made product, can't hardly wait to start putting this thing together. Just got to order up some more stuff.

I've read that the white losi springs are a good choice.