New 500 Heli build--UPDATE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Well, here's #9. A bare bones kit that's all Carbon Fiber and alloy.

hb01.jpg

The motor was purchased separately. It's not part of the kit.

hb1a.jpg

This is my first carbon fiber framed heli, and I just can't believe how rigid it is. There's absolutely ZERO flex in the assembled frame, and it almost seems like you're knocking on granite.

hb1.jpg

Skids are on, gears and rotor are in.

hbb1.jpg

hb2.jpg

Here's a size comparison with a 400 on the left and a micro on the right.
hb5.jpg

More to come...

Man, that thing is trick looking with all the carbon and alloy Rolex. And the size next to the 400 :whhooo: What's the rotor span on that? You gotta get some video of it on it's maiden voyage.

970mm, or 39.19" Rotor.
They sent the wrong canopy. I was supposed to get the metallic red.
Oh, well, I'm getting used to this one and it should look good once I trim the tail boom.

Last edited:
970mm, or 39.19" Rotor.
They sent the wrong canopy. I was supposed to get the metallic red.
Oh, well, I'm getting used to this one and it should look good once I trim the tail boom.

WOW! That's just crazy, I can't even imagine flying something that big. I've always been told, and from owning the one 400, that the bigger the heli, the more stable they are. It should really fly nice in that case. I can't wait to see the finished product. Hell, you've motivated me, I'm gonna go buzz the SR 120 around the apartment for practice, I haven't flown in a long time.

It's gonna fly???????????????

I thought it was going to sit on a shelf next to Rolex's Savage.

It does look good, Rolex.

Don't be ridiculous! My helis don't sit on shelves, they hang from the ceiling. :hehe:

Can you even walk into the room with that monster hanging from the ceiling? You must be 4 foot tall. Lol

I would chop off my head with one of those beasts. They are totally impressive my lhs has one also.

Didnt know you flew heli's Rolex...nice to know.

I've been thinking about getting back into the .50 size birds again with some inexpensive scale fuse's on them...i miss mine bro...

Good looking bird man...reminds me of my 600N.

Good luck with it

-Nitro

I ordered a scale Bell 222 for my .50 heli from a distributor for Heli Artist, but after 2 months of waiting for it on back order I canceled it and started this 500 instead. ALL the dealers were on back order. I guess it's pretty much special order on the big ones since they are all hand laid fiberglass.

The 500 has been through a major change since I ordered an unpainted canopy for it, so I'll get up some pics soon.

The one heli i really wanted to build, a Bell 222 done up in black/white, was always hard to find. At last i find one right after i had decided to get out of flying and had already sold my stuff...lol Yes it was a .50 size Airwolf complete with retracts and all the blinky little lights on it...

look forward to the pics of the 500 bud :)

-Nitro

Build update:

1i.jpg

1h.jpg

1f.jpg

Tail rotor is bigger than the main rotor of a micro heli...:hehe:

1g.jpg

First setup...
1e.jpg

1d.jpg

Took off the stock skids and replaced them with .50 skids from my nitro heli.
1c.jpg

1b.jpg

Ordered another canopy...
1a.jpg

1k.jpg

1j.jpg

Here's the design change I made to the boom for the new canopy scheme.
1m.jpg

Size comparison from a 400 to a 500 rotor head.
1l.jpg

After comparing the canopy to the size of the 450 fiberglass scale A-109 ..........
1n.jpg

.....I decided I needed to make another scaler out of this one. I ordered.....
Wait for it.....wait for it......

Wax and micro-fiber polishing cloths??????????

BAM!!!

Whoomp! There it is!

AP11.jpg

AP21.jpg

All fiberglass, working spring loaded struts and ALL the battle gear. I'll be mixing paint as soon as it ships. :celebrate: