NEW 2009 "US Spec" Team Orion CRF .21 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB Mods

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My AB Mods Team driver Brian Dunbar who is also sponsored by Team Orion came by today with the new US Spec Team CRF .21 engines. They have made some changes on the engine such as sleeve port timing, crank timing, venturi, and a new drilled/lightened cooling head. So I'm going to break them in and do some dyno testing etc. I snapped a few quick pics of the engine, so here is a sneak peak of the new Team US spec Orion CRF .21 offroad engine!

CRFteam21010.jpg

CRFteam21007.jpg

CRFteam21006.jpg

CRFteam21005.jpg

Stock X-Dyno results are in!!

Here are the dyno results of the engine in "stock form" with the 6.5mm venturi. Very impressive for a stock mill on a 6.5mm insert!! :Cheers:

2009CRF21OffRoadSTOCK.jpg

Well I got some free time today and got to work... Here is the stock Vs AB Modified dyno graph layover.

2009CRFstockVsABModified.jpg

Once again you improved the power troughout the whole RPM range. Very impressive. I see why Maximus holds you in such high regards. Do you lose much runtime with this kind of modding?

Nope not at all.. This is a stage 2 race mod and is for heat racing applications so good runtime and tunability is a MUST. The 08 CRF I did for Dunbar "one of my team drivers" actually gained 2 minutes run time and gained A LOT of power especially in the upper RPM range. You've got to make these engines powerful but with a smooth delivery so the power is useful. And thats what I put so much R&D into. :)

I got the same exact responses from Tony at TNTMods. I sent him a NS-25 years ago, it wasn't much stronger but it was uber smooth and picked up 2 full minutes of runtime in a Savage. Engine was still going strong at 10 gallons.
Anyways I'm rambling, nice work man. Whenever I get some extra dough I'll send you my next race mill.
At 100 bucks for a mod, they really pay for themselves in fuel consumption if you add it up. Something for everyone who has never ran a modded engine to think about.