New 1/8 truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krimy123

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello everyone !

So with everything going on I decided to get a new 1/8 truggy.

Now I’m in the eternal debate as to which brand I should get. I know I need to make sure that my local hobby shop has parts but that shouldn’t be a problem.

I currently own a Tekno eb410.2 with Tekin electronics installed. I love it but I wanted to try the 1/8 race as well.

So now I’m looking at all the brands to race here in Canada.

Tekno ?
Team associated ?
TLR ?
X-ray ?

Those are the ones I think off right now ( or at least the big brand around here ). X-ray will be harder to get the parts but the owner of a local hobby shop here is sponsored by X-ray and I have to say the build quality looks insane.

Is it worth the price upgrade from the ET48 ?

How about TLR and associated ?

Let me know what you guys think !

*** Edit ***

Forgot to say that most tracks here are outdoors dirt and clay tracks. I might have an indoor carpet track for 1/8 but still not 100% confirmed.

I have xray xb8e 2020, bought it used recently couple months ago and didn't have a chance to run it yet. Having said that's, I would get tekno, but both are capable cars. My friend has new tekno truggy and it's awesome. Also I run eb410 and et410.2 so I am a bit biased but xray is a premium quality rc, no doubts about that. If I was to buy new short course I would get xray

IMG_20230302_061055412_HDR.jpg

What I didn’t like about the eb410.2 build was that a lot of parts were plastic. It didn’t feel like a “premium” build with a lot of upgrades but the out of the box parts felt too much like a plastic version.

But then I am looking at different YouTube videos on the ET48 2.0 and it looks quite a lot more premium with pretty much no upgrades necessary.

So I don’t know if I should be looking into it more than the other brands.

I have the Tekno Et48 2.0 and LOVE it! I just pre ordered the Xray Xt8e’23….stay tuned 🤩

having a lot of plastic parts isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The Tekno plastic is very tough, and even if you do break something they’re cheap to fix. I have a EB48.4, so not a truggy. And not a 2.0. But I love it. The only thing I’ve broke was a spider gear pin in the front diff, which I bent just the slightest bit to freeze up the diff. And that was a $5 fix. At my track I’ve noticed the TLR’s break the most. And the Tekno’s break the least. So if durability is a big thing for you like it is for me Tekno is the way to go.

yeah well durability is quite up there since I don’t want to have to fix the car with new parts every time I go on the track.

And also I’m quite new in the racing world in itself so I want something that can give me a bit of forgiveness if I make mistakes on the track

To be fair I don’t know what HB racing is , I’ll have a look and see if it’s something that my hobby shop can get

Hello everyone !

So with everything going on I decided to get a new 1/8 truggy.

Now I’m in the eternal debate as to which brand I should get. I know I need to make sure that my local hobby shop has parts but that shouldn’t be a problem.

I currently own a Tekno eb410.2 with Tekin electronics installed. I love it but I wanted to try the 1/8 race as well.

So now I’m looking at all the brands to race here in Canada.

Tekno ?
Team associated ?
TLR ?
X-ray ?

Those are the ones I think off right now ( or at least the big brand around here ). X-ray will be harder to get the parts but the owner of a local hobby shop here is sponsored by X-ray and I have to say the build quality looks insane.

Is it worth the price upgrade from the ET48 ?

How about TLR and associated ?

Let me know what you guys think !

*** Edit ***

Forgot to say that most tracks here are outdoors dirt and clay tracks. I might have an indoor carpet track for 1/8 but still not 100% confirmed.
Any of those brands you listed are great. Youd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of them imo

HB is Hot Bodies also a good brand

okay , I don’t personally know anyone that rides that but I’ll look into it

To be fair I don’t know what HB racing is , I’ll have a look and see if it’s something that my hobby shop can get

I've got a build thread on my HB here:
In the past I have ran AE and TEKNO truggies where HB has been the most durable and best fit for me, though I recently switched to Caster Racing Team and will be helping test their prototype truggy soon!

If there is no local support for HB, then I would consider TEKNO, only problem with TEKNO is their front bulkheads tend to break so I would keep a couple of those on hand at all times.

One of my favorite videos of the HB truggy worth a watch:

1680638310494.png

1680638281781.png

I have 0 experience with agama, but I think they will soon release n1. I am not sure how good the suspension will be but it looks sickening for sure

IMG_0367_5000x_jpg_2000x.jpeg

F2AA5F96-DE91-425B-8F8F-F329C1DA15B0_1600x.gif

Yeah I also saw them in the last MSM video I do have to say that this setup is quite intriguing no clue on them either

From what I understand Agama is more aimed towards nitro buggy / truggy but the idea of those shocks does seem interesting. How don’t know how much of a difference it will actually do but yeah I’m curious to see it in action

Agama was high on my list of brands to consider when I knew I was going to leave HB... main concern I have with the N1 is the lack of tuning options around the design where traditional shock towers allow you to select various angles the lean the shocks which drastically change handling characteristics, with the N1 you have to change pistons instead which can be a pain. They are working closely with VRP and Tyler Jones ran 20 hole pistons in his N1 this past weekend at PNB. I opted for more tradtional geometry which is why I went with Caster Racing.

Side note, I have nothing bad to say about HB, their quality is top notch, durability and performance is the best in the industry, I turned down many offers from various brands and chose Caster because they gave me a far better deal that I couldn't turn down. HB said their door was still open for me to come back in the event Caster doesn't suit my needs on the track, so I expect to find out how well Caster holds up in the coming months. More info on my Caster build here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4322447-BUILD-REVIEW-Caster-ETO821

Last edited:
Back