Need some parts advice please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezn9

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm trying to design a project that doesn't involve RC cars, but does involve wireless remote control and servos, so I thought I'd start here.

Basically I need to wirelessly actuate a servo possibly a couple hundred feet away. The servo will be installed on a permanent basis outside (but in a dry area) in cold temps, needs to have an action of about an inch, and can be powered
by 110v. It will need to overcome just a little bit of force so something larger than your typical RC car or plane servo might be what's called for.

The controller can be anything and doesn't necessarily have to be from the RC car world. It just needs to transmit a wireless signal to control the servo.

Right now I need advice for what kind of servo and controller would be appropriate, the lower the cost the better.

I'm all ears and open to your questions.

All advice is needed and appreciated.

A savox 0231 is pretty strong servo and waterproof. Just because where your putting it is "dry" doesn't mean ambient temps going from hot-cold or dry to humid won't pose an issue down the line. Not sure what you can use to control it though. It's operating temps are -10C-50C. You could use a typical RC receiver with a 6V DC power supply that has 4A or more power available if your working it hard. It has a 6V stall current draw of 4800mah (roughly 5 amps), but a no load draw of 120mah.

Spec sheet for the servo: http://www.savoxusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SAVSW0231MG.pdf

6V 5A power supply: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Supply-Adapter-DC-6-Volt-5-Amp-6V-5A-with-round-tip-5-5mm-2-5mm-/351894839825?hash=item51ee912211:g:jBQAAOSwnbZYGU4J

Would need to cut the end and put a receiver plug on it (or try and find an adapter).

I'm curious what your project is...

Thanks for the reply olds. Sorry haven't been able to get back here sooner. Right now I'm working on an idea to trigger animation devices in places like haunted houses. Picture something like a guillotine being remotely triggered. So far everythings still a work in progress.

That power supply you linked to in ebay looks like exactly what I'll be needing to power the receiver and servo. I'm not sure what a receiver plugs looks like though. Would you be able to link me to one on ebay?

Thanks for the reply olds. Sorry haven't been able to get back here sooner. Right now I'm working on an idea to trigger animation devices in places like haunted houses. Picture something like a guillotine being remotely triggered. So far everythings still a work in progress.

That power supply you linked to in ebay looks like exactly what I'll be needing to power the receiver and servo. I'm not sure what a receiver plugs looks like though. Would you be able to link me to one on ebay?
Just cut one of these in half, then you have two plugs that will plug into most RC receivers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Male-t...ire-Cable-100mm-for-RC-Plane-MT-/351693021915

You will need to clip the end off the PSU and test it with a voltmeter to see what the polarity is. On every RC receiver I've used, ground goes towards the outer edge of the case, positive power goes to the middle pin. The pin furthest from the edge of the case is the signal wire.

Typical receiver pin out:
2016-0222-SpektrumReceiverLabeled.jpg

Back