Need some help picking a new brushless motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtaylortank

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am looking at getting a new castle motor considering the one I have now has been beaten pretty hard!!! now I have the 5700 I am wondering is it more power to go to the 4600 or the 6900 for more power???? I have heard lower number more insane speeds, and I have heard the larger the number.. so I am confused and need to pick before someone buys them on me... thanks in advance..

I just found this on the site I am looking at is this right or they just trying to sell stuff???

FOUR VERSIONS AVAILABLE: 4600kv ... 5700kv ... 6900kv ... 7700kv. ... Higher numbers provide more RPMs (straight tracks) smaller numbers provide more torque (tracks with curves, jumps) !!

Actually the higher the number the faster it goes. The lower the number the more torque it has, Matt.

KV in my opinion really can not determine speed because on most high kv motors you can only run a 2s lipo which limits the rpm on lower kv you can run up to 6s just do the math and see whats better if you want insane speed i would recommend something you can run at least 3s with ~~~~ depending on vehical

I used the 6800kV in my 18th scale trucks. A very solid motor. The kV rating is how many 1000 RPM (k) per volt or V.

I am running it in a 2wd slash.. and I was looking up everything and if I was reading it right the 5700 is about the best for the slash I can run 3s and it has alittle more top speed then the 4600.. I am looking up the best gearing for it though does anyone have any ideas???

---------- Post added at 8:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:58 PM ----------

I was looking at this chart for gearing for my sidewinder 5700kv and it is alittle hazy maybe you can help me out with picking the best gearing without having to buy them all.. well this is the chart;

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/speed_and_gearing_chart.pdf

Thanks again..

I run the 5700kv cc sidewinder in my Rustler with 2s its controllable and goes about 45-48mph depending on tires and with 3s well over 50 had to 53mph and still had 1/4 throttle to go yet but things were getting alittle scarey due to the tires balloning well past there limit.....lol...the only bad thing with this set-up are the temps. the motor is running about 130 thanks to my integy aluminum gear box soaking up alot of heat before the gear box temps were around 170 but my esc is always hot no matter what gearing i run through it going to get a fan on it and see if that helps a bit

I am running it in a 2wd slash.. and I was looking up everything and if I was reading it right the 5700 is about the best for the slash I can run 3s and it has alittle more top speed then the 4600.. I am looking up the best gearing for it though does anyone have any ideas???

---------- Post added at 8:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:58 PM ----------

I was looking at this chart for gearing for my sidewinder 5700kv and it is alittle hazy maybe you can help me out with picking the best gearing without having to buy them all.. well this is the chart;

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/speed_and_gearing_chart.pdf

Thanks again..

---------- Post added at 8:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:55 PM ----------

for gearing i am running 23/90 right now

---------- Post added at 8:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:56 PM ----------

I went through a lot of gear set-ups before i found the right one get to low on the spur and high on the pinion obviously it got much hotter but it was also slower 23/90 is the best mix i found

dweet I might give it a try. i checked and i am running a 18/90 setup and the motor has hit well over 200 at one point.. but I think the heat is from the motor gettin worn. I bought it used and there is some play in the motor I am running now.. so I was going to buy the new set and see if this one can be rebuilt or something. (That is if it worth rebuilding.)
Thanks for the info!!!

an update. the 5700 motor seized so that kind of explained why it was getting so hot. I replaced it with the CC SV2 esc and the 4pole 5700kv motor. I am getting about 30-45 minutes of run time off my 2c 4100 lipo and its controlable. now that I put the 23t pinion in!!! But then I just got my 3c 5000 lipo's in the mail and all I can say is wow. I can't hold half throttle for to long and I have not yet been able to use full speed it kinda lifts off the ground. I have paddle tires on the back and with the 4100 I was getting about 10-20 ft. rooster tails and with the 5000 I cand do the 20 ft. with 1/4-1/2 throttle..
I blew a tire off the rim, and am blown away!!! I just want to get the esc. fan and probly figure out what I want to do about the motor... I will try to get a video, I am going to be buying a video camera here soon.. and thanks for all the input!!! and I was thinking of using the mamba max sct from C.C. I could just imagine.... well I will end up with one sometime but it doesn't need to be any time soon!!!

Back