Need info on brushless ESC (UPDATE)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I've already cooked 2 stock ESCs for the ESky Belt CP heli, and last night I wrecked another set of rotor blades when the slightest throttle input started it at full throttle, even after programming it and testing it with just the paddles on.

I'm looking at another brand that can be programmed for a "Soft, medium or normal" start, but I'm unfamiliar with brushless and LiPO setups.

I have an 11.1 V LiPO, and the stock ESC is 25 amps. This one is 30. Here are the specs on it:

Model #:
Volcano-30 (07E04)
Cont. Current:
30A
Burst Current (>10s):
40A
BEC Mode:
Linear
BEC Output:
5V/2A
Li-ion/Li-poly:
2-4
Ni-MH/Ni-Cd:
5-12
Prgrammable:
Yes
Weight:
25g
Size:
34*24*11

if you wrecked 2 stockers, perhaps the problem isn't in the esc..... (edit: it appears the stock esc is craptacular)

comparing specs, the new 30A one is sufficient to replace the stock one. You do need a programming card for it

read the info the guy posted on this video. (upper right)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info, Flm. That would explain why they cook for no apparent reason, and can NOT be programmed to start correctly.

I just finished doing a lot of research on ESCs and brushless systems, and I purchased the Volcano 40, plus a programming card.
Normal start (for prop planes, soft and super soft start for helis)
Not bad. About $40, including the shipping and card.

not bad at all. super-soft would be my choice.

They were out of stock on the above item, so I went the extra bucks and got the Exceed 40A ESC with the programming card. The card has an instruction sheet with all the parameters for setting the ESC for a car, plane, boat or heli, according to your preferences and electronics.
I programmed and installed it, and I'm TOTALLY impressed by the way I could set it up effortlessly. After the programming, it was plugged into the heli and ready to go, complete with super soft start. 5 stars!

c1.jpg

Here's the secondary receiver pick-up for the 2.4 Spektrum DX-7. The receiver and it's antenna are mounted perpendicular to this one to receive a good signal in any orientation.

c2.jpg

soooo hows it run?????

Since it has all new electronics, including the receiver, it's getting a lot of tweeking on the mechanicals. I'm only running the paddles without the main blades since I also assembled an all alloy rotor head that's also being tweaked.
Other than that, it starts and revs up very smoothly. I'm real happy with it.
Any day now I can take it outside and wreck it. :whhooo:

c3.jpg

be careful with the aluminum. I threw away $400 when i loaded my cx2 with it. became a weight that flew for 3 minutes and then was dead. I gave it to a kid at the lhs.

your's looks like a much beefier helo tho.

I also have the CX-2, but I wouldn't add anything to that since it's so light. This one can handle all the upgrades I'm doing to it, including the full body Apache AH-64 that I built for it.

Back