need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNH03

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi all, i was just wondering how can you tell the temp of your engine? advice would be appreciated, thanks :D

If you're in this hobby for the long-haul, it would be a good idea to buy a temp gun. They are quite inexpensive (more than a few under $50) and easy to get. You can check your local hobby shop (LHS) or Radio Shack also sells them. Drop it in your pocket while bashing and you'll have temps right at your fingertips.

In the meantime you can give the ol' spit test a try. Spit on the head. If it takes a few seconds to heat up and steam away you are there. If it boils right away you are WAY too lean on the HSN.

In the meantime you can give the ol' spit test a try. Spit on the head. If it takes a few seconds to heat up and steam away you are there. If it boils right away you are WAY too lean on the HSN.

Haha i like that test :hehe: I was going to buy one today for $20 it measures -50 to 370 F

OK an add on Newbie Question, What is the acceptable operating temperature range to look for? Is it different for different sizes of engines? Will I expect to see different acceptable temperatures in different ambient air conditions?

For break-in you need to get it up around 200-210. After break in shoot for 240-260 but remember it is more about where your mill is making good power and still not too lean. If it likes to run at 220 so be it. Whatever you do stay under 280 IMO!

As for different ambient temperatures, it will effect your overall temp and your tune.

Back