Need help with Redcat XTE 1/10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Buddy of mine just bought the brushed version off an auction site for $40 and it’s brand new but sloooooooow.

He’s new to RC and wants to put a brushless system in it and I told him I would find him a cheap one but I don’t know anything about the truck.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

No idea but the credential sharing between forums works??

Shame it’s so quite and you can’t seem to get help?

Awesome, thank you @Bri26! He is wanting to hit 40-50mph, do you think that setup will get him there?

No idea but the credential sharing between forums works??

Wanna hear something funny? I just got a trophy for my one year anniversary lol....I guess I created this account a year ago today and didn’t remember it lol

I'm not sure the Blackout XTE drive train will hold up to get those type of speeds. My recommendation is to stick with 2S and go with the 3900KV motor. This will get the Blackout XTE in the 35MPH range.

Last edited:
You think an Arrma Granite Mega brushed system would make this go any faster?

You think an Arrma Granite Mega brushed system would make this go any faster?
how many turns is the stock motor in the Redcat? if it is still 12, then probably not. a mild brushless setup i dont think would be bad to put in there, i had an exceed (same manufacturer) that was the brushless version had a 70A esc and 3300kv motor, did pretty well. they redesigned the spur gear so it wasn't on a hollow aluminum shaft down the center, stock up on diffs and Dogbones though!

I don't like running brushed motors in 4x4 let alone a 540 size motor the 540 motor will not last that long before burning up. Saved running brushed motors for the kids and running in crawlers IMHO. Go brushless but be realistic with expectations if wanting to keep things inexpensive. 3650 brushless motor in the 3100kv to 3500kv range and gear up if it's too slow. Don't expect blazing speeds just get something faster than the brushed motor he has now and be happy if it's that slow I'm guessing it's around 20mph or less so any brushless motor over 3000kv will get you going faster.

Yeah, it’s pretty slow...I’d say 20mph would be accurate.

He saw me running my Granite BLX with a HW Max10 SCT in it and immediately wanted to buy one but came across the Redcat for $40 on an auction site and bought it instead. He was pretty disappointed when he drove it so I’m trying to liven it up for him but I’m worried it still won’t be anywhere near the Granite. Some of the YT videos show this thing going pretty fast with the stock brushless system in it but it cost $80-$90 and at that point it may be better for him to just spend the extra money and buy something else.

Locally, there is an Arrma BRCC with 3S lipo, aluminum shocks and T-Bone front bumper for $200 and a V1 Arrma Typhon for $250.

This is what I mean by being realistic he can't expect performance that you have with the Hobbywing and BLX and stay cheap.

Look at it a few different ways spend the money on a good brushless setup now and still be able to use it later on something else or go cheap like Goolrc and take some chances and work with what you got. Or get a better all around setup now by spending more on something like a Arrma.

I would pop a Goolrc combo (don't get it wet) in the Blackout spend no more than $40 (price paid for the truck) on the combo and go from there but that's just me.

I would pop a Goolrc combo (don't get it wet) in the Blackout spend no more than $40 (price paid for the truck) on the combo and go from there but that's just me.

This is what I am going to suggest. Thanks man.

Back