Need help with pipe choices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrogg

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys i have been searching a couple places and everything points to the resonator pipe for racing. I prefer a one piece type pipe though.
I have narrowed my choices down to the THS pipes, the Dynamite Platinum, or a Fantom steel( not a one piece pipe) or just a resonator.
I am running a 3.3 with an O.S. TM header and stock Traxxas pipe.
I want more bottom end without having to sacrifice too much top-end.
Also i want the pipe to be compatible with my next engine which will be an O.S. 21TM or .18TM. Maybe a RB 523.... still researching. I don't need a lot of power just a bit more without making the truck unreliable. I have 15/38 gearing with close ratio 2-speed and I am happy with the gearing.
Any input appreciated from people who have run these pipes will be appreciated.

i have a resonator pipe and there is a noticeable difference between stock and the resonator. lots of low to mid power and it only takes a little away from the top. i know if you look at the Revo forum alot of guys who race run a side pipe so they have more pipes to choose from but all i know is the resonator is a great pipe for my revo

The THS will work fine with most engines if you upgrade later. You should notice a little more power out of you 3.3 also.

I tried drilling out the stinger on the stocker yesterday. Dramatically changed the tune on my engine. It was rich afterwards. Not really sure if I gained more power but I am def. running leaner settings, it tunes much more predictably now???

I personally run the THS. I have never ran the resonator, but have herd great things. I went with the THS because It is spring mounted with no silicone coupler. It also comes with a header. It sounds close to the stock pipe but there was a nice power gain. I have a few friends that run the resonator, and I prefer the sound of the resonator, but it is really a trial and error thing. It boils down to personal prefrence. If you purchase one and you are not happy with the result, you would be able to sell it easily. You will notice a power gain with almosy ant aftermarket pipe that you install.

If you would like better low end, go with the 40 tooth spur. Mine was clocked at 44mph out of the box with only this modification. I did not lose much top end but did gain a noticable low end increase.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

One thing to remember, if you are not breaking something, you are not driving hard enough!!!

I have also heard great things about the Trinity pipe... it may be worth looking into.

I have yet to hear anything bad about the Trinity pipe, other than it's loud. I wish I had the chance to see more of these pipes in action without spending 50 bucks a pop on each of em'.
Any Dynamite platinum users out there? Dynamite makes great BB pipes.

Anyone?? oh well, the hobby shop had a THS hard ano. pipe in, so it came home with me. That happens to me a lot. !@#$% hobby shops. Now all I need is a day off to try it out. Might have time tomorrow.

Back