Need help to start this old nitro car!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlagueWulf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
A friend of mine got this Kyosho car, but it`s old and we dont even know what it`s called.

It runs for a few seconds and revs quite high when I give it a little nitro in the carburator, but when this is spent or if I dont put any in the carb it stopps/wont start. So this leads me to believe there is some problem with the fuel flow/pressure, but I am not sure. Also there is some leakage (just a little) from where the cooling head connects to the engine (see pic), this could perhaps cause less pressure?

Link to pictures of the car and of the leaking: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3327823#post3327823

Any tips you might have on getting it to run properly will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Well, have you replaced all of the fuel lines? Also, it sounds like its not getting fuel. Do you have to fuel lines hooked up correctly and have the pressure line in the exhaust. Your needles may be off a bit, but i can't really help you with that because i dont know where to start.

No I have not replaced the fuel lines, but I have some extra for my savage I can put on there. The fuel line looks like its on the correct way and hooked up to the exhaust also, but if its old (feels alright - but I wouldnt know) then as you said it might need replacing. Unfortunately I can't try to start it again until tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, and keep `em coming guys! :)

once I had a 4 stroke small sprayer that was having that problem and I blew out the carb with an air compressor and it dislodged what ever was in there this was a very small engine maybe 1-2 hp, just drove a pump, but I would look at that leak in the head first

Replace all the fuel lines. Flush out the tank with fresh fuel. If the engine runs with fuel in the carb, but won't run after that, your needle valves are clogged. Remove the carb, the needles and the seats, and clean them with fresh fuel. Blow everything out with an air hose, and re-install them with the same settings. It should run normally now.
There's a possibility that the needle settings were not right, so you need to find the factory settings for that engine. If they were right, count the turns to closed, write the numbers down, then remove the needles. When you reassemble them, close the needles, then back them out to the same settings.
You also need to remove the head, and clean the mating surfaces and the gasket. You are losing compression with a leak there.

Thanks for the help, I feel I have enough info to get started on it now. I will try all this tomorrow and let you know how it went then. It certainly makes sense.

If someone knows the name of the car that would still be nice to know, then I could search for additional info on it.

I think the leak looks like it is comming from the exhaust manifold. Well, whatever the name for that thing is, maybe muffler?

Yes upon closer inspection it seems it was fuel from the carb that leaked out over the muffler and probably not a leak from the engine itself.

I have cleaned it all up and changed the fuel line from tank to carb and inserted a fuel filter on it. The fuel tube I had was to thick to get in the muffler hole so I cleaned the old one and put it back on there temporarily until he/I get some thinner tube. I also cleaned up the car and engine a little and rebuilt one shock just to test it before I do it to my Savage.

And I also cleaned the carb with fuel and air, and washed the inside of the tank aswell. Oh and the airfilter got cleaned and oiled.

I think thats about it, to bad I have to wait until tomorrow to test it since its late in the evening here now.

Let you know how it went tomorrow. (I have a good feeling it will run, but lets wait and see). :)

It runs!

And it runs quite good, just some tuning issues to sort out and going through enough fuel to get it used to the new nitro content and such. Also sometimes it stalls when going WOT or idling for more than a few seconds, but this will improve as I go or not?

The leak was coming from the tiny muffler (at the joint at the end) so no biggie? Will fix that later this weekend.

Thanks for helping me out, I wouldnt have figured this out myself!

Back