Need help on old AM-receiver and car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigdk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
Well got this old car from a friend, it worked for 3 minutes. Now esc turn on red led for 3 sec, and the sterring servo goes irr-irr, thats it.
Esc is a LM-406FB
Receiver is DR-R102-06
Transmitter is i dont know but has AM 27,075 crystals
Motor is running when connected directly to batteri.
Is there a way to messure with a multimeter whats wrong?

Attachments

• E934E7E7-5879-4E62-B274-7A8BEE34431B.jpeg
    E934E7E7-5879-4E62-B274-7A8BEE34431B.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 0C08331D-FFF9-473E-BE93-E953E60412F6.jpeg
    0C08331D-FFF9-473E-BE93-E953E60412F6.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 315AFAAA-0204-4F49-9C98-5CEE9A251605.jpeg
    315AFAAA-0204-4F49-9C98-5CEE9A251605.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 73C70FAA-F034-4B02-97A7-EE216CBD9280.jpeg
    73C70FAA-F034-4B02-97A7-EE216CBD9280.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 101
Hard to say whats wrong with it. Its a really old car. Could just be an old battery that doesn't hold a charge very well any more.

Heres the manual for the kit although I didnt see anything useful in it except parts explosions and parts numbers.

Make sure all connections are solid, crystals seated fully etc. Try to find info on what the the red blinking lights mean on google. I looked but nothing was readily available. Next I would recharge the battery and see if it runs again for a couple minutes. I would say try recalibrating the ESC but without a manual for the ESC itself I wouldnt know how to do that. If none of that works its not really worth putting money in to to figure it out/fix it imho. Id just find a newer more modern RC car. Just my .02

Last edited:
Maybe you are on something, how many volt would be acceptable to put on the esc, i have a 6/12 volt powersupply. There is some kind of power voltage shutdown on the esc. Right?
You did mean the car batteri?

Maybe you are on something, how many volt would be acceptable to put on the esc, i have a 6/12 volt powersupply.
Yeah the NiXX stick battery pack that powers the car. Its a 7.2V from the factory. so you could put 6 or 7 volts on it but be careful giving it throttle. IDK how many amps your PSU can handle.
There is some kind of power voltage shutdown on the esc. Right?
If you're referring to over voltage protection I'm not sure but I doubt it. If you mean a low voltage cut off then no, it will just run the battery down until the battery can no longer move the car.
You did mean the car batteri?
yes

Just tried put 6 volt on it, and the same happends. Yes the factory battery is 7,2 volt, but its been using a 8,4 volt Orion rocket pack.
Did mean a low voltage cut off😁

Just tried put 6 volt on it, and the same happends. Yes the factory battery is 7,2 volt, but its been using a 8,4 volt Orion rocket pack.
The Speedo is supposed to be good up to 9.6V so I dont think its an over voltage issue. If you put 6V on it from a PSU and it still just blinking red then theres got to be an issue with the ESC its self or the receiver. No way to really test that without swapping in known good parts.

LVC is something thats found more on ESC that run lipos.

id check rx plug wires for voltage.. center pin is red + black wire is -..anything over 4.7 volts is good . can check esc thru motor wires..should be close to what battery is at.to me sounds like esc failure..

Did you try adjusting the servo trim on the transmitter?.. 🤔
They could had been accidently turned if the transmitter has those functions ,
they are little trim knobs to center the servo or balance the speed control!

Cbaker65 just tried adjusting all trim knobs on transmitter and the reversing switch on the top. All 3 led is light up on the transmitters battery indicator
id check rx plug wires for voltage.. center pin is red + black wire is -..anything over 4.7 volts is good . can check esc thru motor wires..should be close to what battery is at.to me sounds like esc failure..
Well the smaller plug from the esc has 5,7 volt, the bigger one is 0 volt. The rest of you wrote “check esc thru motor wires” i dont understand.
P.s. I dont remember witch one goes where on the receiver now😨
The Speedo is supposed to be good up to 9.6V so I dont think its an over voltage issue. If you put 6V on it from a PSU and it still just blinking red then theres got to be an issue with the ESC its self or the receiver. No way to really test that without swapping in known good parts.

LVC is something thats found more on ESC that run lipos.
Its not blinking red, just stady red for 3 sec then nothing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Cbaker65 just tried adjusting all trim knobs on transmitter and the reversing switch on the top. All 3 led is light up on the transmitters battery indicator

Well the smaller plug from the esc has 5,7 volt, the bigger one is 0 volt. The rest of you wrote “check esc thru motor wires” i dont understand.
P.s. I dont remember witch one goes where on the receiver now😨

Its not blinking red, just stady red for 3 sec then nothing
Steering goes in channel 1 and esc goes in channel 2.

If you want to try and resurrect that kit Id buy a decent budget transmitter and receiver like the Flysky GT3b or the GT3c if you prefer and get a decent budget brand brushless ESC/motor combo like something from Hobbywing and a 2S lipo or 2 :)

Steering goes in channel 1 and esc goes in channel 2.

If you want to try and resurrect that kit Id buy a decent budget transmitter and receiver like the Flysky GT3b or the GT3c if you prefer and get a decent budget brand brushless ESC/motor combo like something from Hobbywing and a 2S lipo or 2 :)
How do i know which one is sterring or esc🤔

you'll have to trace the wires back to their source. One of them will lead back to the ESC and the other will lead back to the steering servo.
Ahhhh, sorry i was sure in my mind that those two cable come out of the esc, but it is the on/OFF switch cable thats one of them

Ahhhh, sorry i was sure in my mind that those two cable come out of the esc, but it is the on/OFF switch cable thats one of them
Follow it past the switch and see what it goes back to. Should be the ESC

Hi again, now a got hold af another car. But is the receiver swabable?
I know its not the newest car😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 156
Hi again, now a got hold af another car. But is the receiver swabable?
I know its not the newest car😎
If you have the transmitter that goes to the new receiver then yeah you can try swapping them.

Back